Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mailbox parking issues (again)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 08, 2019 10:07 am 
What's the parking like at the outlet mall?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 08, 2019 10:32 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
The short putt is simply allowing road parking again.
The not-libertarian thing to do is live in a reality based world. And in reality, you need to arrive early to park there. Good thing you have other options! Now stop whining.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 08, 2019 10:34 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
What's the parking like at the outlet mall?
Like Walmart. You can't see from one end to the other because of the curvature of the Earth.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 08, 2019 10:38 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
The not-libertarian thing to do is live in a reality based world. And in reality, you need to arrive early to park there. Good thing you have other options! Now stop whining.
LOL, by all means let's have that discussion about reality, which I'm sure you'd rather avoid. After all, it starts with the fact that the choice to cast opposition as whining, shows a position of weakness. Snark may be your friend, but it is a poor argument. If you could show an actual contradiction in my argument, that would be much better. Good luck, it's much easier to snark than reason.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 08, 2019 10:38 am 
Hike somewhere else, problem solved forever for you. The fascination with this hike always eluded me. A Facebook hiking group did a calendar a couple years ago, five months featured a picture of the mailbox. I realized then it was a group of excercisers, not hikers.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 08, 2019 10:51 am 
neek wrote:
Cyclo, that photo was completely unnecessary, all you need is this
They should set up a robotic bear to wave to people in front of the trailhead Starbucks!

neek

neek
PostWed May 08, 2019 11:42 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
If you could show an actual contradiction in my argument, that would be much better
I agree with much of what you said although would hardly consider it any sort of rigorous argument. But for whatever agencies are involved in planning, "the customer" is probably more than a few weekend hikers - there are other taxpayers, various businesses and organizations, wildlife, future humans, and the land itself, for example. I imagine it's hard to strike the right balance, and since they did recently build a new Mailbox parking lot, there's probably now higher priority stuff on the agenda. Just as with the bulldozer statement, I think you are oversimplifying the situation. Also the statement about demand being the sole justification confused me. Surely someone exists who would like a gondola to the top of Glacier Peak, maybe even someone who could pay for the whole project. And there was clearly a demand for trees all the way up Kamikaze to be blazed, so was that OK? But you clearly have strong feelings about Mailbox, so go ahead and lobby for action; it's certainly your right to do so. Apologies to OP - the original intent of drawing attention to safety issues along this stretch of road was appreciated.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 08, 2019 12:00 pm 
neek wrote:
there are other taxpayers, various businesses and organizations, wildlife, future humans, and the land itself, for example.
up.gif And emergency vehicle access mentioned earlier. I'd hate to be the one who hits a pedestrian who had parked along the road. They're often squishy and soft, but those hiking poles can do a number on the engine if they get tangled under the car.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 08, 2019 2:02 pm 
neek wrote:
I agree with much of what you said although would hardly consider it any sort of rigorous argument. But for whatever agencies are involved in planning, "the customer" is probably more than a few weekend hikers - there are other taxpayers, various businesses and organizations, wildlife, future humans, and the land itself, for example. I imagine it's hard to strike the right balance, and since they did recently build a new Mailbox parking lot, there's probably now higher priority stuff on the agenda. Just as with the bulldozer statement, I think you are oversimplifying the situation. Also the statement about demand being the sole justification confused me. Surely someone exists who would like a gondola to the top of Glacier Peak, maybe even someone who could pay for the whole project. And there was clearly a demand for trees all the way up Kamikaze to be blazed, so was that OK? But you clearly have strong feelings about Mailbox, so go ahead and lobby for action; it's certainly your right to do so. Apologies to OP - the original intent of drawing attention to safety issues along this stretch of road was appreciated.
See, *this* is a conversation. Some discussion, give and take, arguments which are... arguments. Thank you. It's a nice change from the alternative as previously demonstrated by another poster.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed May 08, 2019 5:32 pm 
Speaking of gondolas..... how’s the one up Garfield progressing? Seems we should get that one going before planning another (Glacier pk or what ever). I for one am glad to see the shuttle service. All the cars parked along side the road (both sides), was just plain asking for someone to get hurt.(hit). Parking at the school and taking a shuttle seems to be a good solution. Of course, starting at the mall would be more of a workout. there’s still the problem of hikers even farther along the road......

When I grow up I wanna play.