Forum Index > Trail Talk > Darrington: adopt a road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 09, 2019 9:48 am 
I saw this today while trying to find out if a road to a trail is melted out yet. I'm posting it here because I think there are some nwhikers who might be inclined to volunteer.
Quote:
By adopting a road our objective is to try to keep roadbeds healthy and attempt to avoid future costly repairs. The adopter routinely removes manageable sized debris from the road. This is especially important when you encounter an obstruction forcing drivers to the soft shoulder causing damage to the road. Debris are also removed from culverts and ditches and catch basins of the road. You cannot have a healthy road without good drainage! Once you have driven "your" road several times it will become familiar like a good friend. You will begin to see what culverts need more attention because of clogging, where ditches tend to catch debris, etc. The familiarity of "your" road may be the most valuable asset of adopting a road. One more job of a road adopter is to keep "your" road garbage free. We are sorry to say garbage is a very renewable problem! We are also very glad to say that our observation has been by keeping our roads and backcountry clean, it has been staying that way longer!
http://www.ffpu.org/volunteering/adopt-a-road

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 09, 2019 12:19 pm 
This is a great idea.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 09, 2019 4:30 pm 
I'm already doing something like this with the PCT, and can't commit. I'm taking my gravel bike out to Darrington next weekend to scout road conditions for a couple hikes, plan to report here and send observations to their mother ship too. I hope something is better than nothing in the way of info. Can't carry tools on a bike, or even really walk in the shoes.

brewermd

brewermd
PostThu May 09, 2019 7:17 pm 
I do this each spring helping keep the roads open in the 542 area working with Citizens For Forest Service Roads. I do like the idea of adopting just one road.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri May 10, 2019 9:30 pm 
I routinely carry some tools to work on the Middle Fork road on my many visits up there. Often it just takes 5 or 10 minutes with a hoe (most useful tool) or shovel to keep the water in the ditch instead of overflowing onto the road. A little work here and there makes a lot of difference through the rainy season.

schifferj

schifferj
PostSat May 11, 2019 6:32 am 
I do my bit with a chainsaw and a pulaski over in the Idaho Panhandle and NW Montana. Amazing how big a tree you can carve up with an 18" bar - it really isn't the size of the tool.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue May 14, 2019 11:34 am 
I think you will find a lot of people do this. I spend a fair amount of time cutting trees out of the way or even moving branches. But even more time is spent picking up garbage which is getting spendy.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 14, 2019 1:16 pm 
Yah, individual efforts are great, too; FFPU works with the Darrington Ranger District (Citizens for Forest Service Roads is an older organization, and work the Mt Baker District). FFPU have received small grants, report culvert and other issues to the USFS, they have worked hard towards a view to the re-opening of the Circle Creek Road, and helped resurrect the effort to pave the Mtn Loop. FFPU was formed several years ago by Martha Rassmussen. She had advertised road work parties on this site several times - there was no interest but for Hulksmash, who did a lot of volunteer work for FFPU. I think I only did one work party because I'm a lazy schmuck.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue May 14, 2019 1:29 pm 
I wouldn't say your lazy