Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments mid August.... or not?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fyodorova

fyodorova
PostMon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm 
Ultralight overnighters might get past the ranger at the trailhead. They might not get past any other rangers who could be on the trail. Last year I only went to the Stuart zone and this was the first time I saw rangers checking permits at the trailhead. We didn't see another ranger where we were, but I would guess that they would have deployed rangers to the core zone rather than Stuart.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mrpickles

mrpickles
PostWed May 15, 2019 6:29 am 
Thanks for the insight folks. Tuck and Robin lakes looks like a good backup plan. Let me reiterate a question on the specifics of the permit process: Can my brother and I both try to get different permits (I go for Core, he for Colchuk) to maximize odds or do all the members of the party have to be present for the permit drawing?

schifferj

schifferj
PostWed May 15, 2019 6:42 am 
You want to go to the core you should both put in for the lottery draw. If you or your brother get lucky you sign on for a party of two and away you go. Everyone just signs up for the draw not for a specific area. The first name drawn picks what he/she wants and then then award permits for the outlying areas (Snow, Colchuck, 8 mile, Stewart). They will issue one permit (no matter the group size) for the outlying areas. They will issue as many permits as it takes to allow 8 people into the core - that is a new process this year.

mrpickles

mrpickles
PostWed May 15, 2019 7:49 am 
Wow, thanks, that's very helpful. So the total this year for core zone is 8 people, not eight permits? On the bright side if lucky enough to land a permit I guess that should reduce crowding, at least for the campsites.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 15, 2019 9:56 am 
fyodorova wrote:
Mid-August is a bad time for wildfires. The Enchantments have been smoky and have had closures around August a couple of times in recent years.
This is what I was going to say, too. August will be a smokey mess and there won't be views. frown.gif

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed May 15, 2019 11:20 am 
Tuck and Robin is a great replacement in terms of similarity of terrain. But be aware it's probably about a 2.5 hour drive to get from Leavenworth to the Tuck/Robin trailhead, unless you take the much longer hiking approach via Deception Creek. Icicle Ridge and its lovely lakes are another good backup. Or, as you heard, Glacier Peak area (for example, Image Lake via Spider Gap). The only time I've ever done the Enchantments was in 2006, and my dad and I got a walkup permit on a Monday morning in mid-August. The ranger just literally picked names out of his hat. We had better than even odds of getting a spot based on the number of parties with entries (I think only 1 or 2 parties missed out). That was another era for sure...