Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mora Campground ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue May 14, 2019 9:44 pm 
This is a longshot but it's driving me nuts so I thought I'd throw it out there. I camped at Mora, near the ONP coast (2 miles inland from Rialto Beach) last night. There were some crazy loud noises I couldn't identify. The first sounded like a float plane taxiing. It was very loud and happened are intervals all night, waking me up numerous times. The second was like a chainsaw or leaf blower, and I assumed that's what it was but it too went on at intervals very late if not all night. I know it's across the river from an Indian reservation so first I thought it was just people working on something and it would stop when it got dark, that wasn't the case. Does anyone have any idea what it could've been?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue May 14, 2019 10:16 pm 
There's a buoy that moans in the wind off the coast of La Push you might have heard. It is almost always heard, I think. Or maybe it was Sasquatch operating his leaf blower.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 14, 2019 11:12 pm 
That's too bad, Kilikili. When I was at Mora the 3 week of August last year (3 nights), it was dead quiet. The only thing I heard one night was coyotes. I heard an odd sound during the day, might have been the buoy JVesquire mentioned, but I only heard it when I day-hiked to 2nd beach, during those weird afternoon inversions. You might have found out from the rangers or someone in LaPush.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed May 15, 2019 8:37 am 
Yeah if the ranger station had been open, I would've stopped in and asked. Hot visitor center was closed too.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed May 15, 2019 9:09 am 
Chainsaw in the middle of the night is probably timber theft

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed May 15, 2019 9:30 am 
some ass with a compressor for his/her big screen TV in the land yacht...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed May 15, 2019 11:03 am 
Yeah, if the campground allows RVs, isn't that your answer?

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed May 15, 2019 1:11 pm 
Geez, give me a little credit, guys! No it wasn't coming from an RV in the (only one loop open, half full, no big RVs anyway) campground. The volume was nothing anyone could sleep through or want to be near in their abode. But the mention of a compressor--I wonder if it could have been an air compressor across the river (it was definitely coming from across the river--my site was along the river). I used to have a neighbor that worked on projects in his garage and holy hell was his air compressor he used for his tools noisy. And it cycled on and off the way this did. It seems to me this was even louder--easily heard through earplugs, and really very much like a float plane taxiing both in terms of volume and sound. But maybe.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed May 15, 2019 1:28 pm 
Sorry. doh.gif Yeah, that is annoying. There is a really loud compressor that is regularly present at Iron Creek Campground (near Mt. St. Helens) that makes one loop of the campground completely unlivable. But since it's often there, we read about it online before we went and knew to stay in another corner of the (extremely large) campground.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed May 15, 2019 3:03 pm 
Wow, that sucks. What does it power?

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed May 15, 2019 3:07 pm 
I honestly don't remember. Maybe something for the host site? But it was there when we were there, and I recall that I or my wife read complaints about it from prior visitors online. Can't find the link now. If you ever go there, stay away from Loop A.

tinman

tinman
PostWed May 15, 2019 4:17 pm 
Did it sound like an outboard motor? Tribal members net fish the river and may have been checking their nets. i have heard them before while in the campground although not all night long.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 15, 2019 5:26 pm 
This isn't relevant to your question but Mora Campground is the only place I've been in my life where I've had things stolen from my camp. They completely cleaned out our campsite in the time it took me to walk to the restroom and back.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu May 16, 2019 8:24 am 
tinman wrote:
Did it sound like an outboard motor? Tribal members net fish the river and may have been checking their nets. i have heard them before while in the campground although not all night long.
The second noise that I thought sounded more like a leaf blower or chainsaw could've been an outboard motor. Wow about the theft. I did think about where my stuff like sleeping bag would be safer, in my tent or in the back of my car parked at the trailhead to Second Beach, and thought it was probably a tossup.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu May 16, 2019 1:14 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Mora Campground is the only place I've been in my life where I've had things stolen from my camp. They completely cleaned out our campsite in the time it took me to walk to the restroom and back.
How long ago was that, and what time of day, Schroder? There's is a resident "host" there now if I recall correctly, and although I don't know what their level of engagement is (I never saw them on the shoulders of my day-hike schedule), and timing for checking the self check-in board.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood