Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hikers attacked with machete on Appalachian Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 15, 2019 10:36 am 
From my perspective I see them as examples of the outliers with respect to the statistical spread of human behaviors, rather than new standards. There's nothing new about them, for one thing. Acceptance that we cannot change human nature is the first step to grappling with that reality. Non acceptance of it won't eliminate these folks either, they will always exist and regardless of how many hoops we jump to help them, they will still exist, and the nature of their choices and mindsets will lead them to precisely the places they gravitate now for the same reasons. Places they're hard to find, hard to help..this is why they are there. Try to help, sure. Expect it to change things, no. The best that can be done is minimizing the harm without expecting a solution.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed May 15, 2019 10:55 am 
JMO: we can expect this problem, along with many other interlocking rings of problems, to get worse before they get better. And having spent a little time sitting down and listening to homeless people: they were very often 'us' once. I'm convinced that's why people treat them so badly. If they're 'us' instead of 'other', then it can happen to 'us' too, and that's super duper scary. Better for our ego to deny it and keep our superiority intact.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Vertec

Vertec
PostWed May 15, 2019 11:29 pm 
Check these out:
and this (five months ahead of local coverage):
The first video listed above is kinda weak compared to the second one. For example I'll post a quiz: How many individual doses can be taken from three grams of heroin? This question is kinda important because possession is not prosecuted in Seattle/King County for less than three grams. Think about that after you find the answer. The answer is in one of the above videos, but not the other. So which one can be considered fake news? I had an encounter on Pilchuck that very well could have ended like the AP trail incident. Yes the person was using. Don't think it "can't happen here". Pontification will not solve these problems. But speaking of pontification, were the AP hikers carrying Bear Spray?

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Vertec

Vertec
PostWed May 15, 2019 11:55 pm 
As stated in so many other threads here, I will continue to keep my skunk on patrol. Proven to work more often than.... Well let's just say my skunk carries: Ear Plugs

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu May 16, 2019 5:38 am 
Now that's just plain funny there

natural_log

natural_log
PostThu May 16, 2019 12:27 pm 
More on the victim and what happened: Army veteran killed on AT A woman played dead to save herself from an attacker on the AT Condolences to all that had to experience this tragedy.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm 
Another update with a few more details. https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/slain-hiker-identified-details-emerge-appalachian-trail-attack/
Quote:
On the evening of May 10th, the group of hikers set up camp further along the trail in Wyeth County, where Jordan appeared around 1am. He addressed the hikers through their tents, threatening to pour gasoline on their tents and set them on fire. As the four hikers decided to pack and leave the site, Jordan approached them, wielding a knife. Two hikers fled the site northbound on the trail, placing a 911 call at 2:30am. After giving chase, Jordan then returned to the site and confronted the remaining two hikers, Sanchez and an as-yet identified female hiker. After a verbal confrontation, Jordan began stabbing Sanchez, who fell to the ground. The female hiker fled the scene, pursued by Jordan who caught up to her and began stabbing her. The female hiker fell to the ground and played dead, at which point Jordan left the scene. The female hiker continued down the trail, finding help with a pair of hikers who assisted her six miles to Smyth County. They placed a 911 call at 3:12am reporting the attack. Law enforcement arrived at the scene of the attack a little after 6am on May 11th, locating Sanchez’s body as well as a large knife in close proximity. They then located Jordan near the scene.

Vertec

Vertec
PostThu May 16, 2019 9:20 pm 
I'll share this: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30151096622&searchurl=tn%3Dcontact%2Bweapons%2Blethality%2Band%2Bdefense%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1 Good read. Describes the stakes involved.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 16, 2019 9:28 pm 
Hiking is dangerous. Mount Si is the only safe trail. Don't ever go anywhere else.

Vertec

Vertec
PostThu May 16, 2019 10:09 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Law enforcement arrived at the scene of the attack a little after 6am on May 11th, locating Sanchez’s body as well as a large knife in close proximity.
I say this with every/all respect for members of Law Enforcement. There is only so much they can do to protect life, especially in the wilderness. Every member of Law Enforcement I know and have encountered openly acknowledge their limitations, and support our individual rights to protect ourselves.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri May 17, 2019 3:22 am 
Please check the gun discussion and politics at the door.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 17, 2019 4:54 am 
Bear spray works on a range of "wildlife".

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 17, 2019 9:51 am 
Tom wrote:
Please check the gun discussion and politics at the door.
Hey, all I said was this; Often times the best thing you can do is be prepared to defend yourself when/if the time comes. I never mentioned guns.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Vertec

Vertec
PostSat May 18, 2019 12:05 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Bear spray works on a range of "wildlife".
Were the victims carrying bear spray?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 19, 2019 7:05 am 
Washinton Post profile of the deceased hiker. RIP. Bear spray definitely could have prevented the incident.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood