Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead security detail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 09, 2019 2:01 pm 
reststep wrote:
Two charged in Peninsula trailhead vehicle burglaries https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/two-charged-in-peninsula-trailhead-vehicle-burglaries/
up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu May 09, 2019 2:57 pm 
Good! What awful people.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 09, 2019 5:05 pm 
Jeff wrote:
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16292&highlight=pickering Yup, samqe guy. Slap those wrists and turn them loose. Crime pays.
Looks like the woman was able to post her $2500 bond, but the man is being held on a $20,000 bond. So he at least will be put of circulation for a bit (unless he does a GoFundMe for his bond)

Brian R

Brian R
PostThu May 09, 2019 11:08 pm 
A big "thank you" to the Clallam County Sheriff and all the deputies and staff who worked hard on this. A great result.

Vertec

Vertec
PostWed May 15, 2019 11:47 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Quote:
There's those military wanna bes that just got in trouble for "patrolling" the southern boundary and taking (kidnapping) people trying to get into our country. Perhaps they could be contacted and given something to do that might be looked upon more favorably. Just gotta make it sound all he mannish and patriotic and stuff and they might do it.
I've noticed the 206-type crowd here is frequently unable to resist sneaking their political bumper stickers onto the most benign pages. Same as it ever was.
Brian R, Beware "Virtue Signaling" bait, even when it contains factual inaccuracies like accusations of kidnapping. Virtue Signaling is a not so clever tactic to set off a political argument, while not appearing to start a political argument - but then in turn accuse others of politicizing a seemingly virtuous point of view.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
neek

neek
PostThu May 16, 2019 6:34 am 
Vertec wrote:
Virtue Signaling is a not so clever tactic to set off a political argument, while not appearing to start a political argument - but then in turn accuse others of politicizing a seemingly virtuous point of view.
And thanks for demonstrating it so aptly in your tagline. Also me I suppose for responding. That's how it goes... maybe we should just admit that social signalling is part of being human.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu May 16, 2019 8:21 am 
Jeff wrote:
Yup, samqe guy. Slap those wrists and turn them loose. Crime pays.
Figures. The soft on crime crowd will likely whine and cry about the ills of society, personal responsibility be damned, he will be released with another slap on the wrist, and another 100 cars will get hit at trailheads later this summer.

Vertec

Vertec
PostThu May 16, 2019 8:50 am 
neek wrote:
Vertec wrote:
Virtue Signaling is a not so clever tactic to set off a political argument, while not appearing to start a political argument - but then in turn accuse others of politicizing a seemingly virtuous point of view.
And thanks for demonstrating it so aptly in your tagline. Also me I suppose for responding. That's how it goes... maybe we should just admit that social signalling is part of being human.
My tagline is a lesson in civics. A subject which is no longer taught in school.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
trestle

trestle
PostThu May 16, 2019 9:31 am 
Civics is still taught in WA. This page provides an in-depth overview of Civics Education in WA. It is rather exhaustive. This page contains the mandatory assessments for civics that are required at each level of school. Local districts can determine their own pacing but the requirements exist nonetheless.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 16, 2019 11:17 am 
This thread isn't about trailhead security, is it?

Vertec

Vertec
PostThu May 16, 2019 9:51 pm 
trestle wrote:
Civics is still taught in WA. This page provides an in-depth overview of Civics Education in WA. It is rather exhaustive. This page contains the mandatory assessments for civics that are required at each level of school. Local districts can determine their own pacing but the requirements exist nonetheless.
Ok, they call it 'civics' , but Wow, just WOW! I've always wondered how much education regarding the Declaration and Constitution had eroded. Now I know. Thanks for those links, but they prove my point. One egregious example is on Page 11 of what is titled "Constitutional Issues" Assessment: http://www.k12.wa.us/SocialStudies/Assessments/MiddleSchool/MiddleSchCivics-ConstitutionalIssues-CBA.pdf Regarding Human rights, it references the 1948 UN General Assembly Human Rights Declaration. This UN reference is Horse Pucky because the U.S. Declaration of Independence is the only relevant document relating to the U.S. Constitution. The U.S. Declaration of Independence (notice how the U.N. also knocked off the 'Declaration" title) does not grant any rights, but just acknowledges rights endowed by our creator. The only relevant point is how the U.S Declaration and Constitution relate to ensure those rights. The material listed above goes WAY far afield in referencing the U.N., and actually is designed to skew opinion toward 'world' government, while promulgating ignorance of U.S. founding principles. The U.N. declaration reads more like a guarantee of services, which by definition are not rights. This explains a lot of the ignorance seen these days. But the U.N. declaration has caused a LOT of confusion, which prompted someone to write the "Bill of No Rights" document. Look it up for a fun read. Excerpt: ARTICLE I: You do not have the right to a new car, big screen color TV or any other form of wealth. More power to you if you can legally acquire them, but no one is guaranteeing anything.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri May 17, 2019 3:58 am 
Maybe it's time for a refresher on forum rules: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7976546 Please review including restrictions on signatures: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8114

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri May 17, 2019 8:12 am 
I see that Vertec showed up during the Sam Sayers/Vesper Peak debacle, has never posted a TR, and pretty much always skirts the edge of forum rules with critical, cynical, or inflammatory posts.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Vertec

Vertec
PostSun May 19, 2019 9:38 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
I see that Vertec showed up during the Sam Sayers/Vesper Peak debacle, has never posted a TR, and pretty much always skirts the edge of forum rules with critical, cynical, or inflammatory posts.
To Clarify, I posted (before and after) photos I took in the "Vesper Peak Stewardship" topic. My post clearly shows the damage at the "Camp" near Vesper lake (Elan) that occurred during September - October of 2018. For me, hiking season winds down after October until May... So I've been a member for less than three months of hiking season, yet have posted stewardship contributions to this forum that do not exist anywhere else on the internet. I'll let my contribution speak for itself. I have a strong interest in photography, so getting a shot of a helicopter hovering over Vesper Lake with a frosty Vesper peak in the background seemed like neat thing to "go for" - and I wasn't going to be intimidated by *anyone* in my effort to take that photo. Yes, I value my rights, stridently. If that "inflames" a snowflake, that's the snowflake's problem. I value Stewardship over TRs. I have little need for TRs unless they contribute valuable information. I have no interest in creating "Monuments to myself" by just bragging about how I hiked somewhere. I also see no need to post the 10th TR that informs others to be aware of "Snow on the Trail" in early May. And frankly, TRs from SoCal/Chico or "lower latitudes" have no place cluttering the main TR section of a NW hiking forum. Criticism about TR volume by someone who has made only two NW relevant TRs in four years is just plain "dim". I've had some brief yet polite and effective discussion with the site admin regarding policy, including a suggestion I offered. Kudos to them for their efforts in running this site. You are correct in stating I joined NWHikers during "The Incident" you mention. If we think about it, we cannot deny "The Incident" has changed hiking in the NW, at least to some extent, forever. Face it, whether it be crime, cougars, or faux commandos, change is constant. I chose to bring my contribution here because this is the best forum to do so.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 19, 2019 11:58 pm 
My litmus test for evaluating a member's contribution is review the last few of pages of their posting history. Do they participate in a diverse range of topics or do they gravitate to the drama? Are they generally helpful and encouraging or is there a negative vibe to their posts? Have they recently posted or thanked someone for a TR? If you review Sculpin's posting history you'll see mostly value added. OK, so he called you out. Could have been a more constructive I'd chalk that up to some forum ying and yang.