Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Gigantic landslide north of Vancouver August 6, 2010
Previous :: Next Topic  
gb

gb

PostFri May 17, 2019 8:32 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
A bad day to be near Pemberton in 2010 - the Meager Peak landslide event

This landslide is described as being the 6th largest in British Columbia in the Holocene. I had heard about the slide from Frank Baumann who sent me a few images back in 2010. He had invited me about three years earlier to fly with him to Mt. Meager to evaluate siting regarding avalanches for a thermal energy project. (After $20 million dollars in expenditure insufficient thermal energy was found to justify further expense).

I can easily envision myself running away from the slide at 87 m/s to avoid being caught. The eyewitness account towards the end is pretty interesting.

The slide inundated Meager Hot Springs I believe and cut-off access in Meager Creek.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk

Off Leash Man
PostFri May 17, 2019 12:48 pm 
Wow...that was big!
Thanks, interesting for sure.

--------------
Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri May 17, 2019 1:32 pm 
Interesting post, thanks.  I'd missed the news reports of this one, perhaps b/c I was in a remote location and not watching/hearing news for 2 months.  Anyone familiar with southern Alberta has probably heard of the 1903 Frank Slide, and closer to home, the 1965 Hope Slide was the record volume slide in Canada until it was matched by the Meager slide.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
pcg

pcg

PostFri May 17, 2019 5:53 pm 
This just happened four days ago...

https://globalnews.ca/video/5273224/landslide-at-joffre-peak-no-injuries-or-fatalities-reported/?fbclid=IwAR0jQ9WmgT0ht1tY2kdxhDy72ALeZ-wSjOvnMDyG83ei1eknmZkLg_l16dM
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri May 17, 2019 6:48 pm 
Another link with many still photos:
https://globalnews.ca/news/5273358/joffre-peak-landslide/

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath

PostMon May 20, 2019 9:43 am 
gb wrote:
A bad day to be near Pemberton in 2010 - the Meager Peak landslide event

This landslide is described as being the 6th largest in British Columbia in the Holocene. I had heard about the slide from Frank Baumann who sent me a few images back in 2010. He had invited me about three years earlier to fly with him to Mt. Meager to evaluate siting regarding avalanches for a thermal energy project. (After $20 million dollars in expenditure insufficient thermal energy was found to justify further expense).

I can easily envision myself running away from the slide at 87 m/s to avoid being caught. The eyewitness account towards the end is pretty interesting.

The slide inundated Meager Hot Springs I believe and cut-off access in Meager Creek.

I was in that area only 2 weeks before the slide on a trip to Salal Creek/Athelney Pass. The before and after photos are pretty impressive. I went back to the area in 2017; you can walk right off the road to the confluence of the Lillooet River and Meager Creek to get a sense of the devastation.

I'm not a geology expert but in reading about this it seems that much of the Meager massif was built during the last ice age and so rock is sitting on top of existing glacial ice. And as that ice retreats huge portions of the mountain become unstable. Since the slide the roads up into the upper Lillooet are closed during any extended stretch of hot weather in the summer as a precaution.

Looking towards the Lillooet Meager Confluence in July 2017. The slide came down from the summit at left into Meager Creek and then blew out debris into the area in the foreground. A severe forest fire affected this area in 2015 to add to the ambiance.
Looking towards the Lillooet Meager Confluence in July 2017. The slide came down from the summit at left into Meager Creek and then blew out debris into the area in the foreground. A severe forest fire affected this area in 2015 to add to the ambiance.
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostMon May 20, 2019 1:02 pm 
Some interesting things to note - the slide last week was at the Joffre Peak just east of Pemberton, not the Mt. Joffre in Alberta. There were two slide events last week, a smaller one on Monday 5/13 and another on Thursday 5/16.

Given the proximity of Joffre Peak and Meager Peak, the scale of these slide events, and the potentially increasing frequency (2 sites, 3 events... not quite a pattern... yet?), I'm going with Beardo on this. I wonder what part the longer, more severe melt/refreeze cycle is playing in stability at these sites.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 21, 2019 4:36 pm 
There was also that huge slide above Johnson's Landing near Nelson, BC in 2012. Although not the same kind of slide, the Globe & Mail was reporting it as a once in 12,000 year event for the central Kootenays.  In that case, the slide was precipitated by faster than normal snowmelt followed by very heavy June rains.

While some catastrophic slides are abetted by man (like the logging above the unstable slope at Oso, WA), and mountain areas are inherently unstable, I agree with Beardo that these major slides may become more common as glaciers draw back significantly and climate events become more extreme.

--------------
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath

PostThu May 23, 2019 2:12 pm 
Some more interesting links on the Joffre event:

LeeLau's website: Good before and after photos here. Of amusing note is the new lake forming at the bottom of the flow, "Snapchat Lake", no doubt in reference to the recent fame nearby Joffre Lakes have received due to social media. This fourth Joffre lake appears much less photogenic than its cousins.

The Landslide Blog: Some of the recent posts here have a more technical analysis. Seems like the recent warm spell precipitated the slide but that it was likely a long time coming. I do believe the mechanism is different than for Meager as Joffre is not volcanic (and this slope had a lot less glacial ice).
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostFri May 24, 2019 8:15 am 
BeardoMcGrath wrote:
LeeLau's website: Good before and after photos here. Of amusing note is the new lake forming at the bottom of the flow, "Snapchat Lake", no doubt in reference to the recent fame nearby Joffre Lakes have received due to social media. This fourth Joffre lake appears much less photogenic than its cousins.

It looks like there is a minor rockslide in the Central Couloir during the flyover video (post 1st slide), the dust cloud is visible at 1:45 and again around 2:30. This matches with the precursor pics from May 8th/10th.

Wonder how long until the 1st ascent of this new face.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Gigantic landslide north of Vancouver August 6, 2010
  Happy Birthday silvi, veronika!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: