Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hikers attacked with machete on Appalachian Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 19, 2019 1:15 pm 
We have dedicated topics to discuss personal safety. Threads such as this are not to be used a soapbox for personal preference or to debate effectiveness.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hopi Girl

Hopi Girl
PostSun May 19, 2019 2:10 pm 
@ Malachi Constant: Are you referring to the murder of Rebecca Wight? That tragic incident involved a lesbian couple shot on the AT by a mentally ill male drifter on the AT. One woman (Rebecca) died at the scene from her wounds and the other hiked out to get help — despite being shot 5 times — and lived. The incident happened 31 years ago... .

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun May 19, 2019 5:15 pm 
there have been 8 or 9 murders on the AT since 1974 the one I was thinking of was in the 2000 and is unsolved. I am aware of Rebecca’s murder also and it is one of the number I spoke of.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Hopi Girl

Hopi Girl
PostTue May 21, 2019 6:42 pm 
Yes, there’ve been a number of murders on the AT since then. I just wondered about the lesbian couple you said were killed there a few years ago. Can you provide their names? I’d like to learn more about the case.

graywolf

graywolf
PostTue May 21, 2019 7:08 pm 
I remembered reading about this in Bill Bryson's book "A Walk in the Woods", so I leafed through and found their names on at bottom of page 153: Lollie Winans and Julianne Williams.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Vertec

Vertec
PostWed May 22, 2019 12:14 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Vertec wrote:
I'll share this: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30151096622&searchurl=tn%3Dcontact%2Bweapons%2Blethality%2Band%2Bdefense%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1 Good read. Describes the stakes involved.
Vertec, I'm going to assume that this post was kind of a "not gonna share" thing, but I still have to ask - did it come down to that? Sorry if it did, it's sounding like a touch and go situation if that is the case.
Your post expresses genuine concern - Thanks. Apologies for the delayed response. I decided to follow up in the "personal safety" thread where this type of discussion belongs. Regarding my encounter, I was eventually able to get a call to 911, and evade the situation. My "education" began with that call, especially the discussion with the dispatcher who gave effective advice. But if you ever find yourself speaking with a person who believes they might be advising an about-to be-dead person, it will make an impression on you. It certainly made an impression on me.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.