Forum Index > Trip Reports > South Bessemer Mt. (5-18-19)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostMon May 20, 2019 11:04 pm 
Saturday I headed up the Middle Fork Snoqualmie for my first visit to South Bessemer in 12 years. It's a long 13 mile RT road walk to the summit with 4100' of elevation gain. It is snow free until the last mile. Great views from the summit. I spent 90 minutes on top alone. I did see seven other folks but none near the summit. It was interesting to see folks on the summit of Teneriffe. I was looking at the steep side. I even had an unobstructed view of Downtown Seattle. My full trip report with 45 photos and 1 video clip is here: S. Besssemer Mt. Report & Photos Here are a few photos:
Small Falls
Small Falls
Cascade Crest
Cascade Crest
Snowy Road
Snowy Road
Mt. Teneriffe
Mt. Teneriffe
Granite Mt.
Granite Mt.
Downtown Seattle
Downtown Seattle
Bleeding Hearts
Bleeding Hearts

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue May 21, 2019 7:27 am 
JimK wrote:
Cascade Crest
Cascade Crest
Very dramatic! up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 21, 2019 9:15 am 
Nice trip James.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
rossb

rossb
PostTue May 21, 2019 10:13 am 
Great report. I skied there years and years ago. It looks like it would have been good this year (with the low snow levels). It looks like much of the road could work with bikes. About how far could you get before it gets rough?

JimK

JimK
PostTue May 21, 2019 10:52 am 
The main road is smooth and bikable. The turn off onto the unmaintained road is at about 4 1/3 miles. The last 2+ miles is much rockier though not that bad. I have never seen the top mile or so without snow.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue May 21, 2019 10:55 am 
Nice pics and video, Jim!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue May 21, 2019 11:31 am 
Thanks for the snow level update. It's not on your route, but I'm glad to see a bridge of any sort at Big Blowout creek -- I've had to get my feet wet there several times. There are two more parking areas just past the gate, a small paved pullout on the right and a much larger one just past the "wiggles" in the road. These are for the Oxbow Loop trail currently under construction. Warning: Do not block the gate -- trucks from the talus mine don't take kindly to that. rossb: People comfortable with biking steep rocky roads could ride/push a bike all the way to the pass. It gets much worse beyond that.
The Bessemer South road is not being maintained and sections like this would be difficult to bike down, but Martin is still taking his bike uphill.
The Bessemer South road is not being maintained and sections like this would be difficult to bike down, but Martin is still taking his bike uphill.
As the caption says, Martin pushed his bike much farther than I did (left it at 3800') but ironically he got a flat with no repair kit so had to push it all the way down too. frown.gif More road photos are on flickr

JimK

JimK
PostTue May 21, 2019 12:39 pm 
puzzlr, here is your photo of the main and upper road junction and mine. 8 years apart. The road is not quite as obvious now. Still easy to find if you are looking for it.