Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anybody try the Costco powdered eggs?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue May 21, 2019 7:18 pm 
We were in Costco Saturday and they had a box of six packets of something that looked/sounded suspiciously like Ova Easy - for 11$. Not being one to splurge I thought I would do a bit of research first but either forgot the name or the search results are just too confusing. Something something roots something eggs? Anyway, has anybody given them a whirl? I like Ova easy a lot, except for the price and the huge packets and these seem a lot cheaper and if they were equivalent a heck of a buy

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Jun 06, 2019 12:35 pm 
The brand name is "Wildroots". I just bought one and will give it a try. WAY less expensive than OvaEasy. Closest price comparison is 6 x 4.5 oz =27 ozs of OvaEasy via Amazon for $40 (equiv to $53.33 for 36 ozs); the Costco eggs run 6 x 6 oz = 36 ozs for $12. So the Costco eggs are less than a quarter of the price of a similar quantity of OvaEasy. The question now is -- are they any good??? I'll letcha know!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jun 08, 2019 3:24 pm 
kbatku: I tried the recipe on the box for pesto egg bites today (basically, powdered eggs + grated parmesan + water + pesto, mixed then baked for 20'), and both my wife and I thought they were quite good. In fact, if someone else would have served these to me, I would never have guessed they were made with powdered eggs! Now, I haven't tried making scrambled eggs out of them, which would probably be an even better test. But so far, I rate them up.gif

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Jun 09, 2019 1:56 pm 
Today I made an omelet (kale, sun dried tomatoes, feta & artichoke hearts) using the powdered eggs and I could not tell they weren't fresh eggs. Probably the best test would be scrambled eggs, but I rarely make those.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Jun 09, 2019 5:09 pm 
Sound equivalent to Ova Easy then, at a significant savings. I hope they carry them for a while

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 7:29 pm 
I noticed they are $3 off now. Pretty good deal for $8.49.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 pm 
OK youse guys. They better be good cuz I just bought a box.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jun 11, 2019 5:35 pm 
I've never used powdered eggs. Are they good for backpacking? Is it just an add water situation?

jstern

jstern
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 pm 
I'm a convert for powdered eggs while backpacking. Used Ova Easy in the Pasayten Wilderness last summer. I had picked up a small bag and tried them at home first and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. Then, during our trip, I used the powdered eggs with diced Spam on one of the mornings for breakfast. Tasty!

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 2:00 pm 
My first encounter with powdered eggs was as a kid (in the 50's), where our next door neighbors, with a large family, would buy powdered eggs to save money. NASTY!! I didn't try them again until a few years ago after watching a Youtube video by "The Hungry Hammock Hanger" and have completely changed my opinion of them! Regarding whether it's an "add water" kind of thing: Well, you have to cook them, but yes, just follow the instructions.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 2:20 pm 
I was thinking they might be like freeze dried packaged scrambled eggs where you just add boiling water. Haven't tested it yet though...

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 pm 
If they are anything like Ova Easy they are "crystalized" not "powdered" and are essentially indistinguishable from real eggs that have been thoroughly mixed together, like in preparation for scrambling. I bring a tiny baggie of bacon grease to add that home flavor and a package of microwaveable sausage links (in shrinkwrap plastic) or microwave bacon. Really have to say that breakfast is the best meal of the day. When I'm going really nuts I bring Krusteaze pancake mix and maple syrup and fry up a batch of flapjacks on my 5" titanium pan, but that gets to be a bit much sometimes because the butter and syrup are pretty heavy

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 8:31 pm 
So you still need to cook them in a pan? You don't just put hot water on them in a bowl?

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jun 14, 2019 2:25 pm 
You need to cook them. Mixed with the specified amount of water, they're like raw, beaten eggs.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:44 pm 
I love eggs but refuse to clean a pan so I've been experimenting with the WildRoots egg powder a bit. It makes a pretty good ziploc scramble. I mixed with salt, pepper, a little shredded parm, TJs sundried tomatoes in a ziploc. Boil water and turn off heat. Submerge the part of the bag w/ egg mix and cover. After ~4 min, remove bag from water and squish eggs around a bit to get any uncooked part out of the center. Submerge again for ~4 min. Eat. If you're willing to simmer while the bag is in the pot, its a bit faster - about 2.5 min before and after squishing. This is for one egg's worth. Haven't tested larger sizes yet. Also, current price is $7 for 78 eggs worth at SoDo Costco. ETA: time for 2 eggs appears to be the same as for 1 egg