Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Olympic Wilderness Stewardship Plan - comment by May 17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 20, 2014 7:07 pm 
well.... going back to the Greek root of the word (secret rites) it seemed perfectly appropriate. no public announcement. no public feedback. just go out and burn stuff in secret. can you spell waterhole? wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 20, 2014 7:11 pm 
sorry I forgot to mention the "quota" proposal. it was getting late. ah well.... we are better informed now for the next go-round, hopefully. just hope I don't have to read any more pieces of federal legislation. a guy might think they get paid by the word for writing that stuff.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Klapton

Klapton
PostWed May 21, 2014 7:55 am 
Ski wrote:
sorry I forgot to mention the "quota" proposal. it was getting late. ah well.... we are better informed now for the next go-round, hopefully. just hope I don't have to read any more pieces of federal legislation. a guy might think they get paid by the word for writing that stuff.
Just remember to add the magic words "in interstate commerce" to every bill. It is the "mother may I" of federal legislation.

RodF

RodF
PostSun May 19, 2019 3:05 pm 
Olympic NP Wilderness Stewardship Plan process Terminated.
whitehouse.gov wrote:
Presidential Executive Order 13807 on Establishing Discipline and Accountability in the Environmental Review and Permitting Process. "It is the policy of the Federal Government to... make timely decisions with the goal of completing all Federal environmental reviews and authorization decisions for major infrastructure projects within 2 years. "...the time for the Federal Government’s processing of environmental reviews and authorization decisions for new major infrastructure projects should be reduced to not more than an average of approximately 2 years, measured from the date of the publication of a notice of intent to prepare an environmental impact statement..." - DONALD J. TRUMP THE WHITE HOUSE, August 15, 2017.
NPS wrote:
in 2018 due to Executive Order 13807 and Secretarial Order 3355, the WSP/EIS process was terminated due to the inability to meet the new EIS deadlines for those project that were in already in process when the EO and SO were signed. In the interim we are seeking funding to reinitiate the plan and as soon as funding is secured we will procure a contractor through the NPS Environmental Quality Division (EQD) and issue a Notice of Intent in the Federal Register.
31 years since Olympic Wilderness designation and counting... Ironic title for the EO, isn't it? rolleyes.gif (or for any tweet by realDT... rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif )

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Brian R

Brian R
PostMon May 20, 2019 12:11 am 
Rod, I guess I'm confused. Given the draconian, anti-access, anti-trail proposals in The Plan, isn't its termination a good thing?

RodF

RodF
PostMon May 20, 2019 9:58 am 
Brian R wrote:
Rod, I guess I'm confused. Given the draconian, anti-access, anti-trail proposals in The Plan, isn't its termination a good thing?
umm... if one reads Interior Secretarial Order 3355, the new DOI guidance, their specific EIS guidance, EISs must now go from Notice of Intent through scoping to issuance of the Final EIS in 12 months, and then to published Notice of Decision in another 12 months. Given the required coordination with other agencies, tribes, local and state governments, and the public, this appears impossible unless the Final EIS and the decisions are all drafted before scoping is even initiated. The chance for meaningful public input on future decisions is extremely limited. This appears to be Mr. Trump's intention. It is the effect his order has. It means that whatever you think will have less or no effect in future decisions. The decisions will have been drafted before you even hear there's a plan. Happy about that?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Brian R

Brian R
PostMon May 20, 2019 10:09 am 
I see what you mean. Still, ONP began this process in 2014 and has continuously moved the goalposts to fit their vision, public input be damned. I mean this respectfully (to you), but I'm not sure I see a difference. For example, MRNP took public input on their 20-year wilderness management plan three and a half years ago and didn't like what they heard. So now they're just sitting on it.
Quote:
The decisions will have been drafted before you even hear there's a plan.
Again, this is what has been happening since ten years post-Wilderness Act. Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.

mb

mb
PostMon May 20, 2019 10:46 am 
That may be an interesting intent. But indeed the similar EIR/Matster Plan type things I've dealt with (none federal so far) all take decades, and largely ignored public input. Two I'm aware of right now are sittng in the 'processing' phase. Every time I ping the agency, they're like "uh yeah sorry for the delay ETA is in the future". One of them hasn't even posted the slides from their last public presentation... 13 months ago. Not sure why that would be hard or controversial, it's simply making information presented to the public widely available to the public. Let alone acknowledging that they even received feedback, or explaining the delay to the public (since they expected to have addressed the feedback and gone on to the next step 7 months ago.)

Gregory

Gregory
PostTue May 21, 2019 4:26 am 
The Dosewallips washout comes to mind here. Was it not the EIS and the northwest jumping slug that was used by activists to stop the new road around the washout. Seems to me the main purpose of the EIS anymore is for activism or to extract money from the taxpayers, like in the millions of dollars the navy gives out in mitigation for the Bangor base.

RodF

RodF
PostWed May 22, 2019 5:54 am 
Gregory wrote:
The Dosewallips washout comes to mind here. Was it not the EIS and the northwest jumping slug that was used by activists to stop the new road around the washout.
It was the contention, by the National Marine Fisheries Service in 2005, that the washout served as a "valuable source of spawning gravels" for endangered salmon. Despite site surveys by USFS finding that the washout has not supplied gravel and sediments to the river since 2007, the project remains "on hold". This detail does not refute, but makes your larger point. Under the old rules, any EIS dormant for 5 years or more would ordinarily have to be restarted from scratch. Under the new Executive Order, any EIS started more than 1 year ago may have to be restarted from scratch. In short, what was a difficult decision-making process is now virtually impossible. Land management agencies simply do not have the resources to fund and staff an EIS decision-making process as if it were a military campaign. I do not find this order constructive.