Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Next stage of human evolution?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
UGH

UGH
PostTue May 21, 2019 8:05 pm 
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandscience/nasa-mars-mission-humans-could-evolve-into-aliens/ar-AABFeMJ

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue May 21, 2019 8:27 pm 
We're evolving, all right, but it's more as portrayed in the movie Idiocracy. Humans will never colonize Mars. If we could, we wouldn't stop there. But there's no evidence that anyone else living among the billions of galaxies in the visible universe has figured this out. Why do we think we're so special?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 22, 2019 9:36 am 
neek wrote:
it's more as portrayed in the movie Idiocracy
Greed. We're definitley getting dumber! I heard some time ago that a high school diploma in 1935 is equal to a college degree today!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed May 22, 2019 2:33 pm 

~Mom jeans on wheels
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed May 22, 2019 3:33 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
a high school diploma in 1935 is equal to a college degree today!
So they were teaching Organic and Bio Chemistry in high school back in '35? Not to mention Comparative Anatomy and Neurobiology. That is truly amazing. Things must have been so much better back then.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed May 22, 2019 6:45 pm 
While we're on the topic of future space exploration by humans, there's something I've been wondering about, when I read that there were plans to send humans to the moon again, as well as the ongoing Mars talk: We've learned so incredibly much from solar system (and beyond) probes, robot landings and orbiting telescopes than we ever did from landing a few guys on the moon, I can't figure why we'd bother sending people out there. With the advanced systems we have, why waste money on having to build and maintain life support systems into the mix? Seems unnecessary. Maybe in the case of the moon, it's "political" (more sekrit spy posts, missile sites, etc.).

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
neek

neek
PostWed May 22, 2019 8:00 pm 
AE: it's about mitigating X-risk (existential risk). If Earth blows up (nuclear war, asteroid strike, runaway global warming, alien invasion, whatever), it'd be nice to have humans, the supposed pinnacle of 4 billion years of evolution, elsewhere. I'd rather see more efforts devoted to salvaging what we have left of this world, but like the bumper sticker says, "Earth first - we'll strip mine the other planets later". Plus it's a great way to scam the overly optimistic/hopelessly depressed: see Mars One. Didn't help that Hawking said we only have 100 years left, even though he later revised that. (I suppose people make these ridiculous predictions more to get people talking/thinking, or in the case of Musk, as more of a PR thing.) I think it'll be way harder to colonize space than some people think. Getting people to Mars will just be the first and easiest step. Like sequencing the human genome. OK, we've got this 3-billion string of letters, can I have my 500-IQ baby now who also breathes fire? But who knows, maybe nwhikers will host the first TR for Olympus Mons.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed May 22, 2019 9:16 pm 
Hmmm, OK, Neek. I sure wouldn't be signing up to live on some hot/freezing, barren, airless rock as a Plan B. The "Adam & Eve" story is a good parable for modern times, no? The garden of Eden is right here, the little blue planet, and the smarter we get, the farther we're cast out, which we demonstrate by continuing to destroy and pollute our own nest. Our intellectual/technological progress has sped way ahead of our moral development; our amygdalas (et al) are still back in the stone age - still as tribal as ever, don't function well in groups larger than ... well, tribes. I fantasize a "Day the Earth Stood Still" event. Now that would be real outer space excitement. biggrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 23, 2019 9:46 am 
neek wrote:
But who knows, maybe nwhikers will host the first TR for Olympus Mons.
"Made it back to the car in 3:45." embarassedlaugh.gif

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri May 31, 2019 8:14 pm 
I sometimes wonder if we ever will really make it off this rock for good, or if all our speculating about wormholes and faster than light travel is just wishful thinking. I bet we get stranded here by the sheer limits of the physical world and the size of the Universe. I'm betting all the "aliens" we've run into are really time travelers and the real deep nasty secret of the Roswell autopsies is that those little spindly bug eyed boogers are human - just a LOT further along the evolutionary process than we are. My belief in time travelers is one of the things that gives me hope - that we, in one way or another, survive this "thing" we are going through and what we are putting the world into. Bigfoot? A time traveler - scientists genetically engineered to live without support in the wild, where the study ecosystems and repatriate lost species back to the future, where the Earth will be reborn anew after the ravages of our day (I hope)

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri May 31, 2019 9:34 pm 
kbatku wrote:
I sometimes wonder if we ever will really make it off this rock for good, or if all our speculating about wormholes and faster than light travel is just wishful thinking. I bet we get stranded here by the sheer limits of the physical world and the size of the Universe. I'm betting all the "aliens" we've run into are really time travelers and the real deep nasty secret of the Roswell autopsies is that those little spindly bug eyed boogers are human - just a LOT further along the evolutionary process than we are. My belief in time travelers is one of the things that gives me hope - that we, in one way or another, survive this "thing" we are going through and what we are putting the world into. Bigfoot? A time traveler - scientists genetically engineered to live without support in the wild, where the study ecosystems and repatriate lost species back to the future, where the Earth will be reborn anew after the ravages of our day (I hope)
Far out, man.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 31, 2019 10:13 pm 
neek wrote:
We're evolving, all right, but it's more as portrayed in the movie Idiocracy. Humans will never colonize Mars. If we could, we wouldn't stop there. But there's no evidence that anyone else living among the billions of galaxies in the visible universe has figured this out. Why do we think we're so special?
There is a book called The Singularity is Near. You might enjoy it, it touches on your second-to-last sentence. (Personally I found the book interesting but frustrating and swear the guy took too much LSD.) The argument, basically, is we'll figure out how to build a silicone brain from blueprints we'll steal from the gods with fMRI. It will function identically, but faster, making it smarter. Just as we made it, we'll give it the task of creating something even more intelligent. And so on, accelerating until it punches a hole through the fabric of history like a dead star does with spacetime. Very quickly the planets and moons will be reconfigured at the atomic level and become intelligent computing devices. This will expand outward approaching (or perhaps exceeding) the speed of light. Entire galaxies will become intelligent. He suggests that if anyone else out there had figured it out, it would be obvious. He also suggests we're completely wrong about the ultimate fate of the universe, expanding forever or contracting. After the singularity, the universe will decide its own fate. Oh, yeah, and people won't die anymore. You'll upload your consciousness. People who don't make frequent backups will be doomed to repeat history. The intelligence we create will want to preserve us like we do with wild lands. Like I said, too much LSD.