Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu May 23, 2019 1:07 pm 
I have been hacking away by making an inconsistent brine that I throw together with vinegar, onion, beets and juice (canned), salt, peppercorns, a little granulated garlic, and pickled jalapenos(gonna use pickled habaneros for the next batch), and just a couple-few drops of fish sauce. Not sure if the small amount of fish sauce adds any appreciable flavor, but i had some in the 'frig. They are super handy and delicious on day hikes, and seem to turn out well each time I make them. I was trying to think of some way to add bacon or real bacon flavor to the mix too. I have seen pickled sausage, so maybe that will be something to add to the jars with the eggs. - Does anyone have a favorite recipe for refrigerator pickled eggs that they really like? - Has anyone tried using mustard as an ingredient? - Bacon? has anyone use that in their pickled eggs? - How about sausage? and what type if you have used it? (I'm thinking cooked German style, or "hot links") I know a lot of folks view these in the same light as the jar of pickled pig's feet that have been setting on the Tavern counter for 10 years...but I like the ones I have made hungry.gif

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 23, 2019 6:40 pm 
There is a lot of antidotal comments out on the web along the lines of: "Never refrigerated them, been eating them for years and I'm OK" but consider that the folks that have eaten a pickled egg filled with botulism toxin aren't making any social media posts. https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_eggs.html
Quote:
Caution: Home pickled eggs stored at room temperature have caused botulism. For the report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm
Reading the CDC link there was a botulism toxin case where it was determined that the botulism bacteria were present in the egg yolks, however the brine/vinegar solution while potent with a PH of 3.8 never penetrated all the way through the egg to the yolk. Pickling eggs, refrigerating them for home storage and using them for day hiking lunches seems about the same as hard boiled eggs. I personally wouldn't use pickled/hard boiled eggs on a multi day trip, but that has more to do with moisture content/calorie to weight ratio.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri May 24, 2019 9:04 am 
Agreed, they must be refrigerated! Unless you are well versed in processing with a pressure cooker, and know what you're doing. I have seen some folks slice the eggs before putting them into brine, but the yolks fall apart and the whole thing looks messy. It does makes one wonder about those big 'ol jars of un-refrigerated eggs in dive-ish rural taverns and bars (some of my favorite places to glean local beta) I completely get their relative unpopularity though...at least in some parts of the country. For me, they are super easy to make and I can do them 6 at a time (6 Jumbo eggs and brine fit nicely in a quart jar). They don't last more than 2 weeks (one week to "pickle" and one week to eat 'em)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 24, 2019 9:24 am 
Schenk wrote:
It does makes one wonder about those big 'ol jars of un-refrigerated eggs in dive-ish rural taverns
Yeah, I guess those big jars are uncovered. In the CDC case it was a sealed jar -- I believe that botulism is a an anaerobic process. It's also interesting to note that in Mexico, Europe and just about everywhere besides the US and Canada fresh eggs are unwashed and unrefrigerated. In the USA eggs are washed, which removes a mucus film that is impervious to bacteria. FWIW: I just finished the last fresh egg from a batch I bought in Baja last month. The yolks were the same bright yellow as very expensive "pasture raised" eggs from PCC , but these eggs were 30 pesos (roughly $1.50) per dozen instead of $6.99. But I did keep the in my motor home's refrigerator.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri May 24, 2019 11:16 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I believe that botulism is a an anaerobic process.
Yup, that is what I understand too. Letting in air (oxygen) may reduce the chance of botulism, but it also creates its own issues with spoilage.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostMon Jun 03, 2019 10:52 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
There is a lot of antidotal comments...
Now that's a funny typo given the toxic direction the discussion has taken. biggrin.gif

Parked Out

Parked Out
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 7:16 pm 
Schenk wrote:
- Does anyone have a favorite recipe for refrigerator pickled eggs that they really like?
I just finished the last of a batch of curried eggs that I thought were great. Vinegar, onion, salt, curry, turmeric, chili powder and a little sugar. I overdid the turmeric and they came out very yellow, which I considered an enhancement.
Curried eggs
Curried eggs
Started a new batch of 'Mexican' eggs today, have no idea if they'll turn out edible or not. Vinegar, onion, garlic, cilantro, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt, and some very old, very hot dried chili peppers that my wife has had for ~20 years.
Mexican eggs
Mexican eggs
I had some other eggs recently that I made with soy sauce & ginger... not horrible but not really recommended...they tasted more or less like soy sauce. And yes I do keep them in the fridge.

John
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 9:45 am 
Nice! Good color! My last batch consisted of: Eggs (of course), white vinegar, kosher pickling salt, a couple squirts of Braggs Liquid Aminos, pickling spice, hot pickled jalapenos, beets and juice (canned and not pickled), sliced onion, artichoke hearts (canned and not pickled), garlic powder, and yellow mustard. The artichokes turned out very tasty and provided a great compliment to each egg.

Parked Out

Parked Out
PostTue Jun 11, 2019 7:21 pm 
Schenk wrote:
My last batch consisted of: Eggs (of course), white vinegar, kosher pickling salt, a couple squirts of Braggs Liquid Aminos, pickling spice, hot pickled jalapenos, beets and juice (canned and not pickled), sliced onion, artichoke hearts (canned and not pickled), garlic powder, and yellow mustard. The artichokes turned out very tasty and provided a great compliment to each egg.
The beets & artichoke hearts are a great idea - there's lots of room for more stuff in the big jar I've been using, even with 36 eggs. Will give that a try!

John
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 pm 
Ya'all need an egg lady. Just saying. I get 3 dozen eggs delivered to my house by my egg lady for $15. up.gif I don't do chickens on my farm, she does. No washy and no need to chill.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.