Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail Runners Are Lazy Parasites
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed May 22, 2019 9:33 pm 
"No, that headline isn’t just for clicks. Trail runners really are lazy parasites. Deadbeats, even" "They're exploding in numbers and having a massive impact on our favorite trails, yet the short-shorts crowd almost never pitches in when it comes to trail work" https://www.outsideonline.com/2396926/trail-runners-are-lazy-parasites

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 22, 2019 10:34 pm 
One thing that really makes me sad about the hiking community (not all of the community) is the attitude that hiking is the only acceptable way to be in nature, other types of trail users shouldn't be allowed on what rightfully belongs to hikers. shakehead.gif We're all in this together.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed May 22, 2019 11:37 pm 
Did you read the article?

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu May 23, 2019 10:47 am 
There are lots of trails I would love to see more trail runners....you know those trails that are going away....

Art is an adventure.
uww

uww
PostThu May 23, 2019 10:54 am 
From what I've gathered talking to people at work parties, it seems some of the big ultramarathon races require their participants to join a work party, so at least there's that. I wonder if WTA keeps track of how many of their volunteers "need credit".

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu May 23, 2019 11:31 am 
I have no objection to trail runners as long as they give me room to get out of their way where it is safe for me to do so!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu May 23, 2019 12:29 pm 
This is just more of the "lemming effect" brought on by the internet and social media of every persuasion. Nothing can be done. Maybe someday the jurisdictional entities will have to close down whole sections of NF/NP just so critters can have some peace and elbow room to do their thing for a season without constantly running into humans. You know, kind of like too many tankers and fish boats and touron cruises making normal orca life impossible. No one's ever addressed what might be the upper limits of human visitation to the back country for critters; we only set quotas based on erosion, plant destruction and human waste. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 23, 2019 12:41 pm 
IDK, the organizers of the Cascade Crest 100 require folks to perform a bunch of hours of trail crew work in order to qualify for registration. I wonder what the average annual per capita hours of trail work of trail runners vs WHC folks vs NWHIKERS folks. Are they really much different?

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu May 23, 2019 12:51 pm 
yes, what percent of hikers neither volunteer nor donate $$ for access and trail work?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 23, 2019 1:36 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
One thing that really makes me sad about the hiking community (not all of the community) is the attitude that hiking is the only acceptable way to be in nature, other types of trail users shouldn't be allowed on what rightfully belongs to hikers. shakehead.gif We're all in this together.
I agree, and see that parochial attitude spread across the entire spectrum of everyone else's non hiking outdoor preferences. From griping about cycle access and roaded access, to places apparently only hikers deserve.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu May 23, 2019 1:52 pm 
Mountain bikers do more trail work than everyone else combined. Want trails worked on? Allow mountain bikes. Also, the main premise of the article is that trail runners dont have a national advocacy organization because they have never had to fight for access, thus there are less people organizing trail days. Mountain bikers have had to fight for access and build their own trails as well as attempt to prove themselves as good stewards and able to share the trails.. thus, no dig, no ride is deeply embedded in mountain bike culture. The article really wasnt negative towards trail runners if you actually read the whole thing. It just had a sarcastic, baiting start.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 23, 2019 2:23 pm 
The main purpose of the article was to provide a reason to feel justified about seeing these "others" as "less than." But at least they're improving. Every trail runner I know is also a hiker. Every last one. Some are MTBers too.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Mountain bikers have had to fight for access and build their own trails as well as attempt to prove themselves as good stewards and able to share the trails.. thus, no dig, no ride is deeply embedded in mountain bike culture.
It's not nearly as universal as I'd like to see it, but yeah I have to say as a 'culture' there's probably more of this work ethic in the MTB world I'm familiar with than I've noticed among other user groups. Similarly, I think that DIY spirit was born out of decades of making do with 'leftover land' and that tension of never knowing if/when we were gonna get kicked out. There is no "they should blah blah blah". If your favorite trail might disappear overnight you get it spiffed up yourself and ride it while you can.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Quote Options Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:23 pm Cyclopath wrote: The main purpose of the article was to provide a reason to feel justified about seeing these "others" as "less than." But at least they're improving.
I didn't read it that way...

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu May 23, 2019 3:46 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Quote Options Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:23 pm Cyclopath wrote: The main purpose of the article was to provide a reason to feel justified about seeing these "others" as "less than." But at least they're improving.
I didn't read it that way...
Nor did I. Apart from the click-bait title, I saw nothing derogatory about trail runners that wasn't also applied to hikers. I'm not sure I buy the (non)statistics on who works more/less, but I would not call the piece an attack on trail runners.