Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Trove of CCC Camp Darrington photos found
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 24, 2019 9:06 am 
By a weird labyrinth of conversation, long story short, I mentioned Darrington to an acquaintence of mine, and yesterday he gave me a photo album he once dug out of a trash heap when he was hired to clean out a house. It's full of excellent, crisp, clean photos of Camp Darrington and projects in 1934. Since the CCC was est. in 1933, the photographer must have been among the first crew. Along with photos of the camp buildings inside and out, are photos of projects he apparently worked on - all brand new bridges! And it includes a selfie!!! Dated throughout 1934:
  • Several foot bridges over the Sauk - some are wayyyy high up and scary-looking. But from other photos I've seen of bridges over the Sauk (frequently washed out & rebuilt), the locals had no problem crossing on bridges like these
  • A railroad bridge over the Sauk
  • A footbridge over Red Creek on the Sauk Rv trail (nowadays you can see a giant old stump with the old markings of a pulley system cut into it - not sure if that's markings from this particular bridge in the photo, but it might be!)
  • 3 story cabin at Goat Lake (I didn't realize there were CCC structures at Goat Lake? perhaps it wasn't a CCC project, but in the photo, the structure looks new).
  • A camp truck with a "Texas Pond" plaque installed under its license plate
  • Various photos of he and his friends posing on snow, or in camp, one of men playing ping-pong at the rec hall.
I'll work on scanning some photos. And I will contact the Darrington Historical Society and CCC Archives at NPS or other museum (still haven't found my way around CCC history and where the best place for archives is; my guess is NPS) .

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri May 24, 2019 9:21 am 
Very cool! Looking forward to seeing these.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri May 24, 2019 9:31 am 
Kim, the Darrington camp was most likely run by USFS. I would contact the local Forest, they have quite a trove of CCC stuff. I’m sure they be happy to help you out.

RodF

RodF
PostFri May 24, 2019 9:57 am 
Great find, Kim! So looking forward to seeing these!
Kim Brown wrote:
I'll work on scanning some photos. And I will contact the Darrington Historical Society and CCC Archives at NPS or other museum (still haven't found my way around CCC history and where the best place for archives is; my guess is NPS) .
NARA National Archives at Sandpoint and UW Special Collections in Allen Library basement?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 24, 2019 10:31 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Kim, the Darrington camp was most likely run by USFS. I would contact the local Forest, they have quite a trove of CCC stuff. I’m sure they be happy to help you out.
Yes; the Forest History Society would be interested too, thanks for the reminder, and perhaps UW archives. Might need to try to contact the family though. I don't know. NPS has the official CCC archives. The USFS in Darrington does not have an archive System - USFS uses the facility at Sand Point that Rod refers to; I know, I’ve been to the Darrington USFS office and riffled through some of their records (under supervision, of course). But luckily one of the Darrington Historical Society folks is on USFS staff there and will be doubly happy to see these. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Dusty Trale

Dusty Trale
PostSat May 25, 2019 10:40 am 
Kim, The three story building up at Goat Lake was the old hotel from the mining days. It was still standing in the mid 1950's been my dad was up there on a climb.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun May 26, 2019 8:00 am 
The Allen Library will likely digitize your photos. When I visited several years ago they had historic photos from all over the Cascades in a box by the desk for a buck or so for each one. To reduce space photos are digitized.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun May 26, 2019 9:20 am 
Dusty Trale wrote:
Kim, The three story building up at Goat Lake was the old hotel from the mining days. It was still standing in the mid 1950's been my dad was up there on a climb.
If I remember right there is at least one picture of the cabin in Bob Heirman's Snohomish My Beloved County: An Angler's Anthology There are a couple pictures in Discovering Washington''s Historic Mines vol 1

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun May 26, 2019 3:30 pm 
The building at the lake is confusing. I know there was a hotel in the mining days,but this one in the photo looks brand-spanking new (will post photos next week).

LIL_MAC

LIL_MAC
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 10:29 am 
Bump...Photos? smile.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 pm 
I got all excited when I saw this thread...until I clicked on it and realized what a bum I am frown.gif I don't have a photo scanner handy but a co-worker does. I promise photos within the next couple weeks.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 11:54 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I don't have a photo scanner handy but a co-worker does. I promise photos within the next couple weeks.
Great! This will be exciting to see. Just discovered this thread. ~z

Damian

Damian
PostFri Dec 27, 2019 12:24 pm 
Very cool Kim. Wow 1934. Are you in any of the photos?