Forum Index > Trail Talk > Camp Fires
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Beard-o
Crazy Beard Dude

Beard-o
Crazy Beard Dude
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 1:30 am 
I've searched around the site. I'll keep looking as well, but I'm wondering if any knows good overnight camping locations that allow camp fires near Snohomish? Much thanks.

“The doctorate in woodsy knowledge can only be taught by Mother Nature in the classroom of the outdoors. Many can train you but only experience can teach you.”
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 6:29 am 
Out of campgrounds or are you talking up roads or trails then camping or building a fire?

Beard-o
Crazy Beard Dude

Beard-o
Crazy Beard Dude
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 9:38 am 
Backpacking to a campsite where fires are allowed.

“The doctorate in woodsy knowledge can only be taught by Mother Nature in the classroom of the outdoors. Many can train you but only experience can teach you.”
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 11:21 am 
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 am 
Call the landowner/agency that manages the land where you want to go. You aren't saying when you want to have a fire. Fire restrictions happen in the summer and fall months for the areas that allow them the rest of the year. Research!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
chipsandcheeseplz
I'm confused?

chipsandcheeseplz
I'm confused?
PostTue May 21, 2019 10:40 pm 
Most of the Alpine lakes along the highway 2 corridor you cant have a fire at regardless of time of year. Reason is you can't have a fire over 4k feet in that area, nor when you drop into a basin. My assumption is that the area would be rough to get anyone in the area to fight a fire aside from aircraft. Barclay Lake is one of the best spots IMHO to have a fire when no restriction is in place. Generally I look to see if it's over 4k feet, even if it's not in a basin it's almost a guarantee you can't have a fire. If it's over 4k feet I don't even look any further and assume it's not allowed. Else you just have to either reachout to a Ranger or see if its posted on a DNR site or WTA about any type of restriction. It can be a PITA to find out. Not really an answer to your question. From memory these can have fires, i'd double check: Barclay Lake - I know for sure can have fires. Boulder River Monte Cristo

GIVE ME ALL THE CHIPS AND CHEESE
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed May 22, 2019 5:27 am 
Campfires shouldn't be allowed at Barclay. It is a sensitive area that doesn't need the ovewr abuse. Most people just can't use an existing campfire ring. They want their own and want to chop up trees to burn. 2 cents

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 22, 2019 10:29 am 
Call (360) 436-1155 and talk to the information officer at Darrington Ranger station. (360) 677-2414 for Skykomish. It’s hard to just go by elevation and assume it’s a no-go or a go (go-go?). The trails are so heavily used, a place that seems like it may allow fires may not afterall, due to heavy use. Some of the low elevation lakes in Skykomish are no campfire zones. If you’re looking for this weekend, likely anywhere fires are allow will be lower elevation, easy to get to, and jam-packed.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri May 24, 2019 12:35 pm 
Why build a fire unless it's an emergency? I think it was Colin FLetcher who wrote something like, "A fire draws your attention inward, away from the place you're at. It's like being in a room..." It's the biggest impact you can make, it takes a lot of time to build and obliterate afterwards, and you (and your neighbors) will be breathing air dirtier than you breathe in the city. An alternative is to curl up in a good bag with someone friendly, maybe heat a drink on the stove, and watch sky TV. I think I could still build a fire if I had to.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 24, 2019 12:38 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Why build a fire unless it's an emergency? I think it was Colin FLetcher who wrote something like....[etc]
Wild guess on my part: perhaps he just wants to have a campfire.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 24, 2019 1:47 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
wolffie wrote:
Why build a fire unless it's an emergency? I think it was Colin FLetcher who wrote something like....[etc]
Wild guess on my part: perhaps he just wants to have a campfire.
I mean roasting a marshmallow and telling ghost stories over a jetboil isn't the same....

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed May 29, 2019 7:54 pm 
You might look into river valley hikes at lower elevations.. In the Olympics the fire restriction is above 3500ft. The cascades west of the Crest is generally 4000ft and east is 5000ft. That said, a lot of popular areas that maybe fall below that elevation have additional restrictions.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu May 30, 2019 9:31 am 
I second the suggestion to camp near a low-elevation river. Everyone loves lakes because they are photogenic, but for camping I actually prefer camping near a river. The sound of the rushing water is peaceful and great for sleeping. And fires are usually allowed and less impactful. Deception Creek, Necklace Valley (before you get up into the actual necklace valley), Boulder River, Thunder Creek, Big Beaver Creek, Downey Creek, Suiattle River, etc.