Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Dog tick prevention
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSat May 25, 2019 7:45 am 
Anyone have suggestions for dog tick preventative? I've been using Revolution for years for fleas mostly but it doesn't stop ticks from feeding. I'm thinking of trying Bravecto but I've heard it can have neurological impacts (mess w/ personality etc.) Thanks--

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 26, 2019 11:01 am 
I've read that there's a canine vaccination against lyme disease. Perhaps worth discussing with your vet. Also some natural topical substances that are deterrents. I'm not a big fan of giving pets systemic insecticide (although I know zip about risks). When I had a large dog, he got regular baths, and I had my rugs treated by "Flea Busters", which is a natural dessicating substance.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSun May 26, 2019 11:20 am 
I used preventic collars and bio spot in the past with decent results.

~Mom jeans on wheels
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun May 26, 2019 12:24 pm 
Talk to your veterinarian. Products have changed a lot just in the 5 years since since my beloved Hysson (avatar) passed away. Some products were already becoming ineffective 5 years ago. One thing is still important--with most products, the ticks crawl around on the dog looking for a spot and won't be killed until they actually bite. The thicker the dog's coat, the more apt there are to be live ticks crawling around. Thats especially true with a dog with a thick downy undercoat (such as a Lab). It's a good idea to bring a comb and comb your dog to remove live ticks before putting him in the car after your hike.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
camut

camut
PostSun May 26, 2019 5:04 pm 
Most of the fly/insect repellent sprays sold for horses are also safe to use on dogs. I use Absorbine Ultra Shield on both my horses and my dog. Permethrin is the active ingredient, so once it dries and binds to the hair shaft it is effective for about two weeks, and should kill the tick before it has a chance to attach itself.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun May 26, 2019 11:18 pm 
I have had great success with Frontline until this year. My Shepherd mix picked up a tick on the Chelan shoreline trail two weeks ago. I'd treated my dogs the weekend before we set out, so it was a fresh dose and it's supposed to last a month. He does like water though and went swimming once in the week between when he was treated and the hike, and he laid down in the creeks every chance he got and the tick was on his chest down by his "arm pit" so maybe all the dips in the water washed it off? Neither of the other dogs on the trip got one.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue May 28, 2019 12:50 pm 
Nexgard, hands down.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 29, 2019 12:37 pm 
Bravecta has worked flawlessly, or should I say flealessly for my dogs. I could only hope that it caused a bit of lethargy in the Demon Dog, but it hasn't.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities