Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Better Than The Real Thing? Cover Songs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon May 27, 2019 10:14 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Generally speaking I'm a fan of making a song your own. If you're gonna cover something, try to do it a little different. Some remakes are so faithful to the original you can barely tell the difference between the two. Which begs the question of why bother remaking it at all.
Challenge YouTube "I can't make you love me" ( if you don't ) And see how many hits you get. Adele, Bon Iver, Kelly Clarkson, George Michael...

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed May 29, 2019 6:24 pm 
Any thread that includes the Young Marble Giants and Buddy and Julie Miller is a huge winner in my book! Many of these posts have inspired me so with that in mind... I've long thought the ultimate bluegrassfication of a song was 1952 Vincent Black Lightning by Richard Thompson. It doesn't hurt that the song is a stunning piece of songwriting, but based on the original Del McCoury Band cover it has become a bluegrass standard.
And since I brought up Richard Thompson I can't resist this cover. Oops!... I Did It Again is a Brittany Spears song, but it was written by the Swedish pop songwriters/producers Max Martin and Rami Yacoub who are behind many, many hit songs.
Since Buddy Miller came up I'll have to include a Buddy Miller cover. There are lots of great ones to choose from but I'm going to go with Johnny & Jack's Poison Love (written by Elmer Laird). All your poison love has stained the lifeblood in my heart and soul, dear...
(And a link to another version that isn't professionally filmed, but one I'm partial to because I was lucky enough to be in the audience for the performance).

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed May 29, 2019 6:31 pm 
In the category of songs I didn't know where covers when they were first released I present not one but two covers. First up is the original from 1965 by Little Bob and the Lollipops with I Got Loaded.
And Los Lobos who's cover first introduced me to the song.
And I can't resist the Wood Brothers version because, well, the Wood Brothers are great and should be included here.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 29, 2019 11:52 pm 
Glad to see I share similar tastes with several others. I took a break for a few days but I definitely got more cover tunes up my sleeves. Gillian Welch is another not real well known musician that is absolute fantastic. Brilliant songwriter, angelic voice, she seems to have an old soul, like her songs could've been written 75 or 100 years ago. I think this one has been covered numerous times. Emmylou put a really different spin on it.
If you ever get a chance to see Gillian live, do it! She puts on a fantastic show. No frills, just her and David Rawlings on stage, each with a guitar, but that is all they need. It doesn't feel sparse or like anything is missing. And they play LONG shows, you get your money's worth.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 30, 2019 12:00 am 
I see there are definitely some bluegrass fans. While they take songs from other genres and put a spin on it, there is also a proud tradition of doing bluegrass standards written by Bill Monroe, the Stanleys, Flat & Scruggs, etc. generation after generation. Crooked Still was a great young acoustic band that was influenced by bluegrass among other things. They have a bunch of great covers as well as some originals. Here's one.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 30, 2019 12:09 am 
Alison Krauss is a wonderful singer and fiddle player. Song writing isn't really her thing, so many of her songs are covers.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 30, 2019 12:13 am 
How about Nitty Gritty Dirt Band doing Springsteen?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 30, 2019 12:36 am 
Plenty of artists do whole albums of covers. Pretty low hanging fruit, but why not. Kasey Chambers doing a Nanci Griffith song? Yes please! (edited--with a nice vocal assist from the lovely Ashleigh Dallas)
And while she hasn't recorded this one Kasey regularly does it live and tears it up! I've seen her do it a couple times (at the Tractor Tavern of course).

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 30, 2019 12:42 am 
This is another major departure from the original. Not a big fan of the Prince version, but I like what the Derailers did to it.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 30, 2019 1:00 am 
Old 97s adding new lyrics to a Dylan song.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 30, 2019 1:37 am 
I know I was thinking of this before but forgot to add it. The fine 90's teen comedy "10 Things I Hate About You" was my introduction to the band Letters to Cleo. They had several songs in the movie and even appeared briefly as themselves. A couple nice covers from them.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 30, 2019 1:47 am 
Dang it, stayed up too late doing this. Last one for now. (nothing even slightly bluegrassy or folky here... suuure.gif )

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri May 31, 2019 1:15 am 
She Talks to Angels: Black Crowes and Blake Shelton

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri May 31, 2019 12:48 pm 
One of the WORST covers ever: 5 Finger Discount, er, uh, Death Punch, doing Bad Company's "Bad Company" The singer sounds like he has a range of about an octave, and doesn't even use all of that. His phony emotional "groan-croaking" makes me reach for the radio knob in .0001 seconds. It is so bad that I had to wonder if it was Nickleback trying to crap out a rendition of the song when I heard it the first time.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Jun 02, 2019 4:53 pm 
Taking a while to check out some of these covers. up.gif Even Poco here. I thought I was the only one alive that listened to them. I have a fistful of their LPs. Talk about degrees of separation. That's one band that connects to Eagles, Loggins and Messina (obviously), Buffalo Springfield and on and on.... Anyway, I adore Cat Stevens (writer), but prefer the upbeat infectious smiles of The Tremeloes.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)