Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > *
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 24, 2019 12:19 pm 
I am pretty familiar with jetties in WA and OR and I can remember none built out of Shuksan greenschist. All that I have seen are made of Columbia basalt this includes those at the mouth of the Columbia, Nehelem, and Tillamook Bay. Same for rip rap used in an attempt to protect against beach erosion. haualed from Marblemount would probably be an order of magnitude more expensive. Does not makes sense to me, has the Corps approved of this?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Apr 24, 2019 2:54 pm 
Could someone say exactly what phase this project is in re the regulatory process - ie, the SEPA review? Because it seems to me that any of the discrepancies that Doppelganger noted above are "actionable", and could require changes and re-writes which would delay the permit. Such activity ultimately didn't help SCA down in Snohomish County, but it did win a few mitigations, which was better than nothing. In the case of this quarry, enough delays would be enough to quash the project, since the COE is on a deadline. Anyone up there raise $$ for an enviro attorney, consultants, etc? The way the quarry co is operating, it wouldn't surprise me if their first move was a request for a "determination of non-significance".

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Apr 24, 2019 5:13 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
I'm still looking for any answers to who pays for transportation of the material.
If the quarry co. is hauling the material with their own trucks, presumably that was figured into the cost of the bid. What isn't often figured is the impact on the immediate surrounding area, what's referred to as "concurrency issues". One of the big points of dissention over the big quarry in Granite Falls was the number of truck trips/day with only one way out: ie, the Mt. Loop Hwy, over the 2 lane narrow bridge over the Stilly and then right through downtown. Ultimately that didn't stop the project, but I believe the town now has a bypass route that it didn't have before, which (partly) helps.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri May 31, 2019 9:52 am 
Sculpin wrote:
I read through it because I was curious but I was unable to determine why greenschist is ideal jetty rock.
Was just reading one of my favorite blogs and found an answer to my question: https://washingtonlandscape.blogspot.com/2019/05/skagit-county-greenschist-headed-to.html "The advantage of this rock is they can be broken into very large blocks, they have high density relative ti other rocks and are resistant to both physical and chemical weathering. Good material for a jetty that must resist huge waves." The blog includes an awesome image of a single block of greenschist on a flatbed semi headed to the Columbia.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Critterbwad

Critterbwad
PostSat Jun 15, 2019 1:21 am 
In all, employee and hauling traffic could mean up to 260 vehicle trips in and out of the Marblemount Quarry each day, according to a Traffic Impact Analysis. Where exactly is the marblemount quarry? They say the route would be hwy 20. Is it the quarry right across the cascade river camp ground? Not sure these roads/bridges can take that abuse. Especially the bridge crossing the skagit