Forum Index > Gear Talk > lightweight bag and pad issues
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostFri May 31, 2019 9:23 am 
Want to keep my "bed" under 3#, preferably 2 1/2ish. 3 season. 2 years ago gave up on Big agnes, cold drifts in from the side even with insulated pad. Last year did rei igneo with z lite, better but not too comfy. This year sprung for a uberlite and slippery, feels like I'm trying to balance(side sleeper). Bout ready to send it back, don't know where to go though. Don't want to buy a third bag but the older I get, the more ounces I want to shed and comfort is desired. Even considering trying to sow a partial sleeve in my bag. Anyone else have this issue or ideas.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri May 31, 2019 9:50 am 
My setup is good down below 20 degrees but it's just under 4 pounds and really comfortable - a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite bag and an Exped downmat. If you're fine with a 30 degree bag, the WM Megalite is only 40 ounces. I don't have any suggestion other that a Z-lite to get the weight down on the pad.

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostFri May 31, 2019 10:53 am 
My bag suppose to be 25 but no way, I was cold with all my clothes last week upper 30s. The uber is 8 1/2 ounce air filled mummy shaped 20" wide, love the weight but feels like I'm about to fall off, may have to go back. Bringing down underwear should solve my cold issues for the next month. I may try the uber- z lite combo and keep the air mat really deflated but I'd really just like something that works right, that puts me at 3#.

Bronco

Bronco
PostFri May 31, 2019 10:56 am 
When I entered my 40s, I opted for the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm at 15 oz. Best money I've spent as it helps me sleep pretty comfortably and wake up feeling recovered. With that pad, I don't have much trouble staying warm with a Mountain Hardware Phantom 32 at 20 oz. I typically skip the tent and use a 12 oz eVent bivy sack. Entire kit is just under 3 pounds. I'm pretty comfy down to the 20s with a hooded wool base layer and dry socks, YMMV.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri May 31, 2019 11:00 am 
If you're slipping around on your pad apply some stripes with seam sealer. It'll give some friction between the bag and the pad. Western Mountaineering bags are the best bags I've ever owned (and I've had a lot). They're conservative on their temperature ratings and roomier than an Igneo.

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostFri May 31, 2019 11:15 am 
Thanks, I think the darn thing just isn't wide enough, I'm a sprawler, a rectangle wider pad is probably what I need, and yes, heavier. Thanks for the tip on the bag. I love down but hate the cold spots when lighter bags don't have enough fill. Always try to find that balance with ultra light gear. I'm one of those ounce counters so I can take a few luxury items such as a 3# guitar, equinox chair (I love) and adult beverage. Everyone has their priorities. lol.gif

jasonfromtexas

jasonfromtexas
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 5:26 pm 
I switched to a 20 degree Enlightened Equipment quilt and NeoAir pad. I've been warm enough in the low 30's and feel I'd be ok down to 20 with a layer and hat. The quilt has been good for me as I'm a stomach/side sleeper and can't stand mummy style bags. Never going back to a bag. Only complaint is the noise from the pad. Some earplugs help with the crinkle, but still.

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 7:19 pm 
Thanks, interesting bed, I like the idea of more room. My hands tend to "fall asleep" because the confinement makes me bend my wrist. Do you have the synthetic or down?

RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 7:44 pm 
I had a NeoAir, but with the horizontal baffles, I tended to slide off. Now, I use the Big Agnes AXL, about 11 oz. The sides are a little bigger than the middle which helps with the issue of sliding off, but it is noisy. I use a (Katabatic) 30 degree quilt, which comes in at about 18 oz. I've found the quilt to be comfortable over a wide range of temperatures since you can open it up or cinch it down.

jasonfromtexas

jasonfromtexas
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 7:49 pm 
I have the Enigma, 20F, 850 Down, Long, Wide (I'm 6'4", 215 pounds). It comes in around 18oz and packs down to about the size of a grapefruit using a Sea to Summit compression dry sack. Love it!

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostSun Jun 02, 2019 9:18 am 
looks good but what I worry about is cold coming in from the bottom sides. I have a BA lone ranger and finally gave up on it even using an insulated pad. Something about having down totally tucked all the way around me. Sounds like this isn't an issue for you.

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostSun Jun 02, 2019 9:29 am 
RatherBOutdoors wrote:
I had a NeoAir, but with the horizontal baffles, I tended to slide off. Now, I use the Big Agnes AXL, about 11 oz. The sides are a little bigger than the middle which helps with the issue of sliding off, but it is noisy
People are complaining about the valve, is that an issue with you? I like the idea of being cradled and 25" wide. I agree that the neo air horizontal baffles suck. I'm not worried about the noise. I camp about a dozen times a year, 3-7 nights, durability is a must. Thanks for the info.

RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostSun Jun 02, 2019 2:53 pm 
The valve is a little tricky to get the tip to stay underneath the release (especially first thing in the morning), but a little patience will get you there.

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostSun Jun 02, 2019 3:37 pm 
So here's my potential solution. https://www.rei.com/product/152800/sea-to-summit-traveller-tri-50-sleeping-bag added to the outside of my neo air uber and rei Igneo inside. The traveller is 66" shoulder girth to my 60" Igneo hoping the pad will be comfortable in between. The outer bag is just over a pound making the whole bed 3# 10 oz. This will boost the warmth of the bag/pad and hold it still, I think. A $235 experiment though. The Igneo is rated 25, lucky to keep you warm at 45, what do you think?

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostMon Jun 03, 2019 6:25 pm 
Schroder wrote:
If you're slipping around on your pad apply some stripes with seam sealer. It'll give some friction between the bag and the pad. Western Mountaineering bags are the best bags I've ever owned (and I've had a lot). They're conservative on their temperature ratings and roomier than an Igneo.
Those bags look awesome, spendy but I guess you get what you pay for. Were you referring to just seam sealer or strips of something applied with seam sealer? Never had to use seam sealer yet. I'm going to try this outer sea to summit Traveler idea, I've got a bead on an ebay one for $120, Perhaps I'll upgrade in a year or two.