Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Motorized bikes inquiry
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostThu May 30, 2019 11:47 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
You might give a look at Mountaineers hikes and Meetup hiking groups and look for hikes that are carpooling from Park and Ride lots.
I looked at a couple of Meetup hikes. A Hibox trip listed rope and prusiks as mandatory gear and a Mailbox hike listed ice ax as mandatory. Um yeah, no... Those groups are just not for me. I've done a few epic hikes and I'm just not into anyone dictating my mandatory gear. I'm pretty good at researching. It's too... IDK... Controlling for me.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu May 30, 2019 1:43 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
That's how quiet our bikes are.
yeah, when the pass me coming up our big hill to my house from the valley below, I have to look to see if it's an eBike that's enabling this person to go by me SO fast (sometimes it's just a bike racer training as our hill is on the itinerary of most local bike teams). I can't tell from just the sound on most of them.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 31, 2019 3:38 pm 
veronica (HiT) wrote:
I looked at a couple of Meetup hikes. A Hibox trip listed rope and prusiks as mandatory gear and a Mailbox hike listed ice ax as mandatory. Um yeah, no... Those groups are just not for me. I've done a few epic hikes and I'm just not into anyone dictating my mandatory gear. I'm pretty good at researching. It's too... IDK... Controlling for me.
Some friends and I are doing Granite (on I90) tomorrow. I know Granite sucks, but time constraints. Mandatory gear is a full body down suit, three fire logs, and a signal mirror.

veronika

veronika
PostFri May 31, 2019 4:45 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Mandatory gear is a full body down suit, three fire logs, and a signal mirror.
moon.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri May 31, 2019 7:19 pm 
Good idea wink.gif

veronika

veronika
PostFri May 31, 2019 11:41 pm 
I've been looking at this one. huh.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 12:16 am 
250W is not a lot of power and the battery is minimal. Folding bikes are better for shorter rides. The smaller tires require less power to turn but the bike won't go as fast. Frame will flex more than a regular bike so ride won't be as stable. Carbon seems like a risky choice for a frame that will flex. Might be better suited for riding in Manhattan than around here.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 5:17 am 
The small wheels on folders give a bumpier ride when the pavement isn't smooth. But folders never have to worry about the bike rack being full on the bus!. A folder could work well for accessing trailheads not too far from the furthest out bus stop. They are an effective solution for mixing public transportation and bike usage. Also they easily are brought into your apartment for recharging and security. Based on my experience buying stuff off crowd funded sites, I would look elsewhere. Crowd funded stuff can be great and it can be terrible and you have zero recourse. If you have a lot of disposable income and don't care if the inventor takes 8 months longer to deliver the bike than promised and it catches on fire on the third ride no big deal. Also note: said bike would not be very useful in Manhattan as all Lithium Ion powered scooters and ebikes are banned from the NYC subway system after several "hoverboards" burst into flames. The MTA police actually enforce this policy surprisingly enough. Buskers are OK, but fires are a problem.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 6:43 am 
I actually own a folding bike. I was unaware that it was unsuitable for longer rides so I guess I'll just have to stop doing those. rolleyes.gif As for taking it on public transportation, my Radmini would not do. It is heavy. Folding a bike does not make it any lighter. It does allow me to stow it in the bed of my pickup without removing a storage box. I also have room for other things to take along. The limiting factor on trip lengths was the seat. I had a hard time going more than ten miles. Bike seat number 4 proved to be "the one" and I can easily ride 20 miles --did so yesterday and a few times before, and plan to do longer trips as I bought a spare battery. The bad thing about the Mini is that there isn't much of a choice in tires. It has fat, 20 inch wheels. Mongoose and Kenda seem to be all there is last time I looked. I have a thousand miles on it. I've had it on trails, on bad FS roads and on pavement here in town. No problems except for one flat from a goathead. The bikeshop guy went to work and "localized" the tires and it's been good since. Also, we did turn around whilst trying to get up Lone Frank Pass. We were feeling beat to death from the rocks, but maybe could do better with our different bike seats. If you live in Seattle, you've got a lot of access to ebikes. Try out as many as you can. I do notice that more are now available in the $1500 range. Heck, Walmart was having a sale for Bike To Work month. Now to get electricity plumbed into the hinterlands so we can recharge! biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 6:49 am 
Here is the company that will let you try their bikes out in Seattle. They may even have a mapped route? https://www.radpowerbikes.com/

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
veronika

veronika
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 9:03 am 
All great info! up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 12:33 pm 
TW, I didn't say folding bikes were unsuitable for longer rides. I just said they are better for shorter rides. Their geometry and riding position isn't optimized for longer rides. Granted, you'll probably notice it less on an e-bike.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 9:22 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
But folders never have to worry about the bike rack being full on the bus!
That's true, but when you start the motor and battery it'll be heavy enough to be cumbersome to take into the bus with you.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jun 01, 2019 9:22 pm 
Tom wrote:
250W is not a lot of power
mad.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jun 02, 2019 4:00 am 
I purchased a Jetson e-bike online from Costco with a 250W motor. I think they have them in stores now. It did OK on moderate slopes but after trying to peddle it up a steep hill it started making strange noises and gave up the ghost. I literally burned out the motor on my first ride. I feel sorry for anyone buying that bike other than the fact they're buying from Costco and have the return policy. On a rear hub I'd be looking for at least 350W. If you look at rad power bikes their standard offering is 750W.