Forum Index > Gear Talk > iPhone charger
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sean T

Sean T
PostWed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm 
This is pretty cool. I'm posting it even thou I'm sure one of you will find it posted in some obscure thread that no one reads anymore. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brianlegge/soscharger-self-powered-iphone-and-smart-phone-cha?ref=live

"he is one of those wolf lovers and hides in the shadows". 32 Predators
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
greenway

greenway
PostFri Apr 05, 2013 9:16 pm 
Who would be that desperate to get their phone going again? Really? Can't live without a phone for a few days?

Criminal

Criminal
PostSat Apr 06, 2013 10:05 am 
This one is $34 and already available. No, you don't get to crank it but it says it'll recharge a phone three times, so if you're conservative in your use of the phone, there's no reason you couldn't get a week or so out of it.

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
Sean T

Sean T
PostThu Apr 11, 2013 3:19 pm 
Quote:
Who would be that desperate to get their phone going again? Really? Can't live without a phone for a few days?
I use my phone as my GPS, Camera and sadly, when im out during the week, i need access to the market..lol So my iphone has to work M-F for sure..

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Apr 14, 2013 12:36 am 
My Monoprice ($25) 5,000 mAh external battery pack arrived yesterday. I charged a IPad several times and a Iphone 5. via the USB ports. 1 A and 2.1 A USB ports, so the IPad charging had no problem. 5,000 mAh adds about 4-5 hours run time to the IPad. Those are a friends electronics. I have a HTC droid phone, so should get at least 3 charges. I'm going to pair it with my GoalZero Nomad solar charger that I found at Goodwill the other day. I'm impressed with the charging ability in cloudy weather the past couple days. Be nice to get some sun and really check it out. Recharge time on the battery pack runs about 8 hrs, so that's not bad. Charges via a micro usb, the same cable I use on my phone, so I can use any USB charge system. Plug, 12 volt adapter or laptop etc. I noticed that quite a few battery packs have only 1 USB outlet or a separate charge unit input. I wanted to keep it simple with common cords. Every thing is switching over to micro USB, so that's the most common standard now. I'm tired of messing with cables and separate chargers, so it's nice to keep it all common. I'm happy I don't have Apple products. Tip, you can get just about any cable, power supply, cord, etc at Goodwill for .99 cents....you just have to find it. lol.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Sean T

Sean T
PostMon Apr 15, 2013 8:55 pm 
Ordered. If I can have 6 charges as a back up plan even better..

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed May 29, 2019 11:16 am 
What is the current technology for this? Anything better than the battery packs? ultralight solar chargers? We'll be out 15 days without resupply. The iPhone is our camera, otherwise unnecessary. Her newer iPhone or my old iPhone 6. We don't need GPS because I use a ROM technology wherein memory is encoded in a 2-dimensional spatial array of various organic compounds embedded in a hydrated carbon nanofiber matrix; they absorb in the 380-740 nm wavelength spectrum, so are easily read by old-fashioned but still sophisticated biochemical optical sensor devices -- ultralight, durable, no vulnerable electronics, and hard to hack. I think it's called a Memory Array Platform or something like that. You just need a biochemical computer with the right apps. Way cool, check it out.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
neek

neek
PostWed May 29, 2019 11:51 am 
wolffie wrote:
What is the current technology for this? Anything better than the battery packs? ultralight solar chargers?
What's wrong with battery packs? My phone lasts about 4 days on a single charge, in battery saving and airplane mode. My 6600 mAh charger weighs 200g (7 oz) and charges it 2-3 times. It cost maybe $25. You won't find anything else with that combination of price, weight, and convenience. With a solar charger you could carry around twice the weight for 4x the cost and spend all day charging your phone if it happens to be sunny. There was something called the "nPower PEG" that supposedly charged itself as your walking jiggled it, but from what I can tell it never really worked and was removed from the market. For even more weight savings, ditch the maps and use the phone cool.gif (relax, I'm kidding)

bk

bk
PostWed May 29, 2019 1:46 pm 
The Memory Array Platform sounds cool, but expensive. Some past discussions (in order): Jun 21, 2009: solar battery charger Apr. 01, 2011: Solar Panel Charger Dec 22, 2012: Solar Recharger for iPhone Apr 03, 2013: iPhone charger (this thread) Jan. 04, 2014: Goal Zero - opinions anyone? Feb. 21, 2014: Solar charger recommendations Jan. 18, 2015: Solar iphone chargers versus rechargeable battery packs Jun. 20, 2018: Solar Panel for Backpacking For the eclipse in Oregon (Aug. 2017), the Anker 21W worked like a champ. (No longer available? $59.99 at the time...). That, in turn, was used to keep the iPhone charged which, when charged, would be unplugged from the panel, and the cloudy-day charger (like what's in Criminal's picture) would be plugged into the solar panel to ensure the cloudy-day charger's charge was high. When the cloudy-day charge pack was charged, it would be unplugged and stowed, and the iPhone would then be reconnected to the solar panel. A 15-foot iPhone cord let me set the panel in the sun and use the iPhone in the shade, at camp.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jun 04, 2019 2:56 pm 
I really like the Anker Fusion 5000 mAh charger. It has a pair of 115 VAC wall prongs that fold inside when not in use. 6.5 Ounces. Good for one complete charge of my Iphone 8 and headlamp (Nitecore). I carry a pair of four inch USB cords to lightning & microUSB. (0.6 ounces total)

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 04, 2019 3:42 pm 
FWIW: I brought a 15W solar panel two years ago while bike touring the Pacific Coast Route in August and early September. The panel was of little value as I had solid overcast from Seaside, OR to San Francisco, CA. I found that my 5000mah USB battery was more generally useful in that context as I was willing and able to recharge it fully by leaving it plugged into the "shaver socket" in the mens room in the state park "hiker/biker" campsites where I camped 80% of the time during the ride. Even with good weather a tricky aspect with solar is getting good enough orientation while under way. If the itinerary includes "base camp" days where the panel and auxiliary battery can be left in a good orientation while a side trip is made that will work better.