Forum Index > Trail Talk > Outdoor related personal safety / guns / hunting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 pm 
Hey DB, if your carrying a G19 you should try and load it with 147 grain rounds. Heaviest you can get for the 9mm. That's what I use when I carry the 19. When I carry a revolver I always use super hard cast wad cutters in them. Cant get them for the G19 as far as I know. And yes, I always carry when outdoors.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Todd Ler

Todd Ler
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:49 am 
When I started hiking again this summer I carried my G43. I just got some buffalo bore 147gr hardcast to load up a mag with. Buffalo Bore 9mm +P Outdoorsman

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 6:03 am 
Todd Ler wrote:
When I started hiking again this summer I carried my G43. I just got some buffalo bore 147gr hardcast to load up a mag with. Buffalo Bore 9mm +P Outdoorsman
Good article, and thanks for the link. I rarely carry anymore (actually, only once in the past 30 years or so), but good info anyway. I was pleased to read that these are suitable for the Glock 19.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 9:51 pm 
That's a good post. Thanks.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Vertec

Vertec
PostSun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 pm 
Also a good read: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=108

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Vertec

Vertec
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 1:22 pm 
Todd Ler wrote:
I originally thought the information at this link would generate good discussion regarding this topic. But now I realize I was wrong. The information provided by this link, and the other I posted above effectively ‘completes’ this discussion. Turns out the “over penetration” criticism ends up being one of those “It’s not a bug, It’s a feature” things. While the event described certainly can be classified as anecdotal, it provides a real world example of "as advertised" performance capabilities. How one can achieve similar capabilities is up to the individual, there are ample resources available to assist in doing so. End of.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 1:24 pm 
That was a great article.

Vertec

Vertec
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 pm 
Might as well link to the photo. A picture is worth a thousand words. Including the 'compact' unit also ends up having one of those "less is more" biggrin.gif effects:

Vertec

Vertec
PostWed May 22, 2019 11:00 am 
I'll post this here for reference: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30151096622&searchurl=tn%3Dcontact%2Bweapons%2Blethality%2Band%2Bdefense%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1 Describes the stakes involved. Of particular note is an X-ray on p.169, which shows a 20ish inch sword that was inserted where the "sun don't shine" and driven "north" midway through the abdomen. The caption informs the reader the injury was not post-mortem (as one would hope), but delivered by a psychopathic offender. There are documented cases of psychopathic and severely deranged attackers, who even after receiving multiple wounds including GSWs (even fatal), proceeded to murder their intended victim(s). There is a difference between dissuading an attack and stopping or escaping an attack. Dissuading an attack requires the attacker make a decision to stop - this is the important point.

Vertec

Vertec
PostWed May 22, 2019 11:51 am 
Elsewhere on this forum are recent threads discussing Lions, Trailhead robbers, Machete Murders, and Bears (oh My). Last year four people were attacked by cougars in three separate incidents leaving two dead in the Cascades. One of these attacks received no media coverage, but was reported in NWHikers.net (Kudos to NWHikers.net). Decisions about how to protect yourself (or not) are your decisions. No one can make them for you - including the person behind the counter at a gun shop. Betting on luck can be the decision a lot of people will make and end up just fine. Some of us including myself, have encountered situations where our luck ran out. Don't underestimate the impact it will have on you if your luck runs out someday. Do your own research to make informed decisions for what is best for you.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon May 27, 2019 6:28 pm 
Ok guys, I've seen a lot, but today I saw a really new one. Background: I'm an NRA Pistol Instructor, a RSO, and I serve as a Wilderness Ranger with the Forest Service. Today, as I'm doing trail patrol, I ran into a number of people who were open carrying (doesn't bother me). There aren't bears up in the area I was in, but there are active cougars and lots of sign. I'm not allowed by USFS to carry, so instead I have a big can of bear spray on my belt (and my primary plan is to spray it towards anyone attacking me, then dose myself (with the thought of making myself taste really bad)). About mid-day I ran into and chatted with a guy who was carrying a Ruger SR9 in a chest holster-- with the hammer cocked back. His answer was "the safety is on". eek.gif I didn't say anything, but all I could think was what a bad idea-- betting your life on a very small piece of metal not failing. Anyone else think that's a terrible idea????? Dave Workman?? Cheers, John

Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Jun 03, 2019 11:16 pm 
The Ruger SR9 has no visible hammer, so I'm not sure how you ascertained his pistol was in battery. I assume he told you during your conversation? In any event, I'm not a big fan of "decocker" type pistols like the one you describe--or Glocks. I prefer revolvers. Simple, safe, and always ready. As to your question, 1911-type pistols should be carried with the hammer back and safety on. In addition to a grip safety, many have a firing pin disconnect and, of course, the thumb safety. I trust no other semi-auto pistol with a round ready. Especially plastic frame guns like the SR9. And since the value of a handgun with no round ready to fire is drastically diminished, I prefer revolvers. Just my two cents, I have no problem with someone who prefers to carry a round in the chamber of their pistol--as long as the gun is in a holster that covers the trigger guard.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Jun 05, 2019 4:43 pm 
I may have understood what model of pistol he was carrying, but it definitely had a hammer and that hammer was back. I also didn't see any sort of protection for the hammer on his pistol.. I used to carry a 1911 with a round in the chamber when I was in the military, but never with the hammer cocked back. Even with a manual safety and the grip safety, I would never trust those very small pieces of metal to protect me from blowing my leg off...

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Jun 05, 2019 9:49 pm 
Quote:
I used to carry a 1911 with a round in the chamber when I was in the military, but never with the hammer cocked back.
To carry a 1911 with a round in the chamber, and the hammer down, one would first have to rack the slide and then pull the trigger while manually slow-dropping the hammer onto a live round. This is far, far, far more dangerous than carrying a 1911 with the hammer back and safety on. In fact, if a stranger performed a live hammer drop near me I would have an issue with them. Back to your day on the trail, I too have noticed more open carry the last few years. I support it, generally, but believe it's more of a political statement than a tactical one. A concealed gun is almost always a better option.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 4:17 pm 
Thanks Hiker John. I carry with a 1911 or a P35 High Power daily. These guns must be kept in condition 1 (round chambered with the hammer back and the safety on) to be of any real use as they are single action auto loaders. The Israelis for a long time carried their 1911's with an empty chamber. They practiced drawing racking the slide and firing. That's not something Id want to spend the time necessary to learn. I dont carry a 1911 out doors. Ive been hiking in Washington for 44 years and Ive only seen someone carrying ONCE! I only carry open if Im sure I wont run into anyone. Im not there to scare or intimidate anyone. "A concealed gun is almost always a better option." I agree completely.