Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSun Jun 02, 2019 10:42 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
The limiting factor on trip lengths was the seat. I had a hard time going more than ten miles. Bike seat number 4 proved to be "the one" and I can easily ride 20 miles --did so yesterday and a few times before, and plan to do longer trips as I bought a spare battery.
Curious about "the one". Which one did you get ? ~Slim P.S. I have a Rad Rover

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
veronika

veronika
PostMon Jun 03, 2019 10:37 am 
What about a regular scooter/moped?

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 03, 2019 1:28 pm 
I think mopeds get treated similar to class 3 ebikes (can't ride on sidewalks, etc.) with additional restrictions: https://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/mopeds.html http://wabikes.org/2018/06/06/heres-need-know-washingtons-new-e-bike-law/

veronika

veronika
PostMon Jun 03, 2019 4:05 pm 
up.gif Scooters in Florida are equivalent to ebikes in Seattle. dizzy.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jun 03, 2019 9:56 pm 
I have no idea about E-power and have never ridden an E-bike, but it seems like 250W would be enough. Strava reports my power at about 200W, when climbing at max effort (heart rate zone 5). I can average 100W all day. Adding my 100W to another, say, 100W from the motor seems like plenty. Admittedly my 17 lb road bike is not the same as riding a 60 lb bike. So I'll be reading this thread with interest. I see an E-MTB in my future.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 03, 2019 10:04 pm 
I would say pedaling an e-bike without power is at least twice the effort as a normal bike. Also the OP indicated:
veronica (HiT) wrote:
ETA: Not interested in busting my ass with pedaling either.
http://www.ebikeschool.com/much-power-electric-bicycle-need/

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Tom wrote:
250W is not a lot of power
mad.gif
Tom wrote:
I purchased a Jetson e-bike online from Costco with a 250W motor. I think they have them in stores now. It did OK on moderate slopes but after trying to peddle it up a steep hill it started making strange noises and gave up the ghost. I literally burned out the motor on my first ride. I feel sorry for anyone buying that bike other than the fact they're buying from Costco and have the return policy. On a rear hub I'd be looking for at least 350W. If you look at rad power bikes their standard offering is 750W.
For the record Tom, this was a joke. I was hoping somebody (probably Randy) would see my post and laugh. Jokes stop being funny when you explain them. Putting 250 watts out is like deadlifting 400 pounds. If people are complaining about getting a 60 lbs e-bike into the car and somebody said 100 lbs isn't much... I know it's out of context, that's what makes it funny.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Jun 04, 2019 10:14 am 
Hmmm, this is interesting. I read the link about power. Maybe people like to ride them like motorcycles with good acceleration. I was assuming more of an energy boost while pedaling. Just compensation for old age. Getting old means driving slowly on the freeway and riding a bike even more slowly! Will have to try one some time.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 04, 2019 5:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
I would say pedaling an e-bike without power is at least twice the effort as a normal bike.
It sounds like much more than that. For what it's worth, pedaling at 250w gets you anywhere from 23 to 27 mph on flat ground, depending on things like tires and posture.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 06, 2019 5:29 pm 
Buy a brushless motor front wheel kit and convert any bike to electric...

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 06, 2019 5:45 pm 
Not as simple as it sounds. You'll need a torque arm to avoid damaging the rear fork assuming it will be strong enough to handle the motor. You also need to buy a battery and find a way to integrate with the rest of the bike. I started building a rear hub 10 years ago and never finished it. I'll give it away for free. Easier to just buy a complete bike and not really that much more expensive once you add everything up.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 9:23 pm 
Tom wrote:
Easier to just buy a complete bike and not really that much more expensive once you add everything up.
I came to the same conclusion. Plus the fit and finish of a purpose built e-bike is usually much better than a bolt on kit bike.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"