Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bear cans required in OR, ID or WA?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 pm 
I'm used to bping mostly in California, some areas require a bear can, any in OR, ID or WA where they are required? Repo pup and I will be in Black Cap, Bitterroots, Alpine Lakes, Goat Rocks. If needed, guessing only my black can would cover all areas. Anyone find a white MSR stove pump for me yet? Duane

So many stoves, so little time.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 pm 
Might need to check for each area you will be entering. Generally speaking in Washington outside of National Parks bear cans are not required, and even within NPs it can vary from area to area or from one NP to another. In the land where griz are more likely to be found there might be stricter guidelines regarding bear canisters, so I can't speak in regard to Montana or Idaho. Years ago they generally weren't required on Forest Service lands but that may have changed since the last time I went backpacking in the Rockies.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 3:58 pm 
Thank you. I needed my canister in Glacier the two times I was in the backcountry, saw one bear there. Only seen one bear when out the last 16 years here in Kalifornia, that was with my young dog last summer in the Ansel Adam's. Duane

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 4:12 pm 
Not requirement for canisters in Alpine Lakes or Goat Rocks Wilderness Areas

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 4:15 pm 
Thank you. Duane

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 4:24 pm 
there is way to much information available on the internet for bear canisters in yellowstone/glacier national parks and back country to list here.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 4:29 pm 
Not going there, been there, done that except Jellystone. Wanting to see more of the country. Bagging BP trips in ID and WA for the first time. Been in OR and MT. CO a few years ago to Maroon Bells. Duane

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 5:59 pm 
The Bitterroots are pretty sweet. I've only done a couple day hikes on the MT side, haven't been on the ID side. If in the future you get a hankering for more of Idaho, the Bighorn Crags and the Sawtooths are very tasty.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 pm 
I've heard for a number of years now, even from a friend about the Sawtooths, doesn't fit my schedule. Long drive thru Idaho to get to the Canadian border on my last two bp trips to Glacier. Duane

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 6:38 pm 
I've had bears and raccoons raid my food on the Olympic National park coast. Canisters are required there because of the raccoons, which are bold enough to attempt raiding your pack in mid-day with you watching them. I approached to chase them off and the lead coon, sized me up and didn't take off until I picked up a club sized stick and started waving it, which is pretty bold. Not quite as bold as the raccoons on Jones Island in the San Juans where I needed to two handed whack them with a kayak paddle to chase them off (they ignored me poking them with the paddle) In the Cascades, mice have stolen food from me by chewing through my pack and food bag. But not bears or raccoons. I now use an ursack and haven't had any thefts, though my ursack has a fair amount of nibble marks from mice.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 6:50 pm 
Washington State hosts the second-largest population of black bears in the lower 48 states. Last time I checked, the estimated population was something like 30000 - 35000 animals. Canisters are required in only a few areas with Washington State. Common sense may dictate that using a canister is some areas might be a really good idea. (e.g., west side of the Olympics in mid-summer.) On the Olympic coast, a canister is absolutely required, as Randy notes above, because of the raccoons. You'll find far more reports of incidents on this website where food bags were invaded by rodents than incidents involving bears.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 4:59 am 
I have had mice chew into a small fanny pack where I had forgotten a "bar", which was by my head, I eliminated it and one other over the years. Had a owl help one night while cowboy camping one warm night here in Kalifornia. I agree, the little guys can be worse. Have had coons create problems on the coast down here too. A friend had a tug of war one trip. Duane