Forum Index > Gear Talk > Looking for lightweight / low volume Bear canister.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Vertec

Vertec
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 2:44 pm 
Since going 'keto' the volume of grub I need to haul has greatly decreased (not looking to discuss the keto diet here). Is anyone aware of a 'certified' canister in the 3-4" x 6-8" size range? Most seem to be 6-8" x 10-12". Thanks for any recommendations.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 3:31 pm 
The other day I was riffling through the McHale Alpine Packs website, which included a link to the Bearicade line by the WildIdeas company. Their Scout model is 9" diameter and 8" length, that would fit one of the dimensions you want...but for a breath-taking price. eek.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 3:49 pm 
contender I have this 1/2 sized bear can as the partner to my Garcia can. It is approved for use by the Olympic Park. It is a little bit trickier to open and close, you'll need more than just a coin. I use a small old key. Also, it is too short to sit on. Pretty inexpensive as well. 60$

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
monorail

monorail
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 3:54 pm 
Several years ago, I emalied BearVault to ask why they didn't make smaller canisters. They told me the canister has to be large enough so that a bear cannot get his/her jaws around it-- at least 8" for each dimension. Otherwise the bear's jaws could crush the canister. So, I think the Bearvault "Solo" BV450 is about as small as it can get (approx. 8.5"x8.5"), or the similar-sized (but nearly 4x as expensive) Bearicade Scout. I've been quite happy with my Bearvault Solo, which I've had for over 10 years. Edit: just saw Coldrain's post about the Bare Boxer Contender, which is a bit smaller than the Bearvault Solo.

uww

uww
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 4:53 pm 
Apologies for the possible hijack of your thread- while hard side canisters are indeed required in certain parts of ONP like the coast, and elsewhere like Yosemite, older threads often suggest the soft sided Ursack as a lightweight and easier to pack alternative. Though is not officially 'approved' in all places (but is 'certified' by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee for what its worth...) I share the same sentiment as its proponents that it is the rodents and snafflehounds you want to protect from more than the bears in most of WA, and a hard sided one may be overkill. My question is that they have a (more expensive) yellow one specifically designed for rodents- would that the one to choose if I doubt I will encounter a bear or does it not really matter? https://www.ursack.com/the-shop/

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 pm 
FWIW: If rodents are the concern. Ratsack protects more effectively against sharp rodent teeth than ursack. https://armoredoutdoorgear.com/ My ursack has a bunch of gnaw marks on it from mice trying get in. Eventually these will compromise its effectiveness against bears. If you are heading into the Sierras and Olympics hard sided containers are the ones accepted by the NPS, so alternatives may not apply. The good thing about canisters is you can use them as a stool.

Vertec

Vertec
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 6:14 pm 
Thanks everyone, including the sack suggestions - I'll probably go with one of those and hang it with a bell. I have other means of dealing with the situation if the bell rings. The bite problem was something I thought of, so thanks for confirming that was an explanation offered by a manufacturer.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
reststep

reststep
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 6:16 pm 
I thought Damian had directions on here somewhere about how to make your own canister out of PVC pipe but I can't find it.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 pm 
monorail wrote:
Several years ago, I emalied BearVault to ask why they didn't make smaller canisters. They told me the canister has to be large enough so that a bear cannot get his/her jaws around it-- at least 8" for each dimension. Otherwise the bear's jaws could crush the canister.
^ I got pretty much the same answer when I spoke with the gentleman running the show at Garcia on the phone a couple years ago. If it fits into the bear's mouth, it's toast. Well.... unless you can find something made out of solid neutronium. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jun 14, 2019 2:19 pm 
For what it's worth: https://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Made-Bear-Keg/ I'm not sure I'd trust this against a bear with time on its side, but it would probably work fine against raccoons.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jun 20, 2019 12:37 pm 
Not a certified container... Vargo makes Titanium Pots with screw-on lids in several sizes. Looks like a perfect small lightweight container for mini-bears. Could hang it for real bears. https://www.vargooutdoors.com/pots-mugs.html

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Damian

Damian
PostFri Jun 21, 2019 6:46 pm 
reststep wrote:
I thought Damian had directions on here somewhere about how to make your own canister out of PVC pipe but I can't find it.
Right here wink.gif