Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
Previous :: Next Topic  
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 5:31 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Them That Follow, another SIFF film interesting drama about people in an isolated community that used snake handling as part of their religious practices. Quite tense at the end. up.gif  up.gif  up.gif  up.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 1:56 pm 
"Instant Family" recently out on DVD.  Really enjoyed it.  Funny and also heartfelt and touching.  Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne are solid as a couple that decide to adopt thru the foster care system.  Instead of one child they end up with 3 siblings, the oldest a teenager.  They are in way over their heads and chaos ensues.  Isabela Moner as the teenager was really good, she's one to keep an eye on.  She sings too, she had a song playing during the end credits.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 1:59 pm 
"Outlaw King" was also among the better made for Netflix movies I've seen.  Pretty much picks up where "Braveheart" leaves off after William Wallace is executed.  Robert Bruce (played by Chris Pine) keeps trying to unite the Scots but that was close to impossible due to some long and deep seated feuds between some of the clans.  Florence Pugh shined as Robert's English wife.  Not a huge budget so it didn't feel very epic.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 2:08 pm 
Despite being far removed from being a teenager I still watch some teen comedies and dramas.  Most contain a fair bit of awkwardness, even painfully so at times.  "The Kissing Booth" I found entertaining and mostly palatable.  I've become a fan of Joey King.  She plays a girl who gets a late start at dating.  Her male bestie and her were born on the same day at the same hospital and their mom's are best friends.  They are purely platonic but she starts to develop a crush on his older brother (who has treated her pretty much like a pesky little sister their whole life until now...) and complications ensue.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 2:13 pm 
I've plowed thru some Netflix shows as well.  Enjoyed Season 1 of "GLOW," haven't started Season 2 yet.  I liked Alison Brie from "Community," she's really good in this as well.

I've seen Sarah Gadon in a few movies.  She blew me away in "Alias Grace."  Loosely based on real events and adapted from a Margaret Atwood novel.  Slow paced but it sucked me, I found it mesmerizing.  Also Sarah Polley wrote the screenplay.  I like her a lot, she's pretty much disappeared from acting but has been doing behind the camera stuff.  I think almost everyone involved with this production is Canadian.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 8:27 pm 
"Happy Death Day 2U" wasn't as enjoyable as the first one.  So convoluted and overstuffed.  And sometimes the movie focused on other characters than Jessica Rothe, which was a big mistake.  She's easily the best thing about it.  This really does not need to be a franchise but there was a teaser at the end that left it open for another sequel.

Just streamed "I Am Mother" on Netflix.  It was a theatrical release in Australia where it was filmed but not available via other platforms in the U.S. yet.  I would definitely recommend it to sci fi fans.  Sparse film, post apocalyptic, mostly takes place in one setting, a sealed in facility.  Only 2 actresses and a 3rd actress providing the voice for an android (Rose Byrne, Hilary Swank and relative newcomer Clara Rugaard).  It was supposed humans had ceased to exist other than a bunch of frozen embryos kept at this facility.  One of the embryos is "born" and we quickly jump forward until she is about 16.  The android raised her and it's the only interaction she's ever had.  Until an adult human woman shows up and throws everything into chaos.  The android and woman provide the teen with very different versions of the truth and she's not sure which if either of them to trust.  Gets fairly tense, well done.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostSat Jun 08, 2019 8:47 pm 
On your recommendation the wife and I watched I am mother today; what a great film! One of those which leaves one exhilarated after having seen it. Thanks!  up.gif

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 9:02 pm 
I'm really unhappy with the new season of Designated Survivor - why the heck did they decide to make it TV-MA? It's like Netflix is an edgy teenager who has just discovered swear words......

I am enjoying "Love, Death, and Robots" a Netflix series of animated SCi-Fi short stories that is an example of where a TV-MA rating is more than an unpleasant marketing tactic. Some of the animation is genuinely amazing, and I'd love to see some of these spun off into longer movies or shows. I particularly enjoyed the one about farmers using home made mechs to defend their homes and families from terrifying aliens. I'm enjoying this series far more than Black Mirror, which though it definitely has its moments, seems to miss more than it hits.

--------------
Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 11:54 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I am enjoying "Love, Death, and Robots"

That sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out, thanks.  I've been picking my way thru Black Mirror, agree it's hit and miss.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostSat Jun 15, 2019 3:34 pm 
The wife and I just saw Late night, starring Emma Thompson and Mindy Kaling. What a great film! Extremely funny; highly recommended.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 3:33 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I am enjoying "Love, Death, and Robots"

That sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out, thanks.  I've been picking my way thru Black Mirror, agree it's hit and miss.

Plowed thru Love Death + Robots.  It was hit and miss as well but some of the segments I really enjoyed.  They are really short, 10-15 minutes mostly, some even shorter.  Some had a bit of a "Heavy Metal" vibe (1981 R rated animated anthology film).

I might not get thru Black Mirror.  Season 3 mostly sucked I thought.  I've dabbled in Season 4, may or may not continue.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 3:35 pm 
"This Beautiful Fantastic" was fairly odd and quirky, but I enjoyed it.  Jessica Brown Findlay and Tom Wilkinson were delightful.
gb

gb

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 5:56 am 
Rocketman is really good. Needlesss to say there is very good music and the story is quite interesting as to how his songs relate to his life and his relationship with Bernie Taupin. It was directed by Elton John so is probably quite realistic.  up.gif  up.gif  up.gif 1/2
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSat Jun 22, 2019 9:46 pm 
"Fighting With My Family" was fun.  Somewhat based on the life of WWE wrestler Paige.  There was an earlier documentary about her and her family that run a small time wrestling circuit in the UK.  Dwayne Johnson AKA The Rock decided to develop it into a feature length film even before she went on to making it big in the U.S.  Florence Pugh had the lead role, I'm continually impressed with her.

"Captive State" flew way under the radar.  It was tough to get into, slow paced, various different characters you'd suddenly be introduced to w/out any background, kinda hard to tell what was going on.  But very worth sticking with.  By the end I thought it was excellent.  Low budget sci fi.  Near future after a world wide alien invasion, they have taken control of all government.  Set in Chicago.  A few big name actors like John Goodman and Vera Farmiga, but mostly relative unknowns.  I think this is a love it or hate it type of movie based on Netflix reviews.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 6:12 pm 
Got in the time machine to stream a mid 2000's and then a mid 90s flick yesterday.

"Sydney White" was a really loosely adapted/updated spin on Snow White, starring Amanda Bynes as a college freshman.  The wicked witch was a sorority president of course.  Kinda cute, goofy fun.  Too bad Bynes went off the deep end, I liked her.

Even further back, "Empire Records."  I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it since it was first released on VHS (before there even was DVD, to give an idea how long ago it was).  Kinda slow to draw me in but eventually I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Near the beginning of their career for Liv Tyler, Renee Zellweger and Robin Tunney.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
  Happy Birthday JPH, straydog!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: