Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 04, 2019 1:50 pm 
No pics, did a couple hikes in The Gorge while visiting my parents recently. Starting from Herman Creek TH (near Cascade Locks) I took a short connector to the PCT, then headed south. Long switch backing ascent up to Benson Plateau. I'd been on the plateau before (Ruckel Ridge/Ruckel Creek loop; Eagle Creek to Eagle/Benson trail) but hadn't been on that section of the PCT. This is immediately east of Eagle Creek. I was actually shocked at how little fire damage there was. The main Herman Creek trail got torched in a few places, the fire skipped right over the PCT. Not a lot of views, a few areas you can see the Columbia and a bit up and down The Gorge, one brief view of Mt. Adams, never did see Hood. I didn't have any particular destination in mind, mostly just wanted to get up to Benson. Flowers blooming like crazy, was happy to see some bear grass among others (arnica, lupine, phlox, penstemon, Indian paintbrush etc. etc.). The trailhead was about full but I hardly saw anybody all day. They must've all been over on Herman Creek or Gorton Creek. Haven't hiked w/ my mom in forever. Took her to Falls Creek Falls near Carson. Trail was crowded but we had a nice time. For a short trail that is pretty spectacular. She thought maybe she'd done it before but didn't recognize it so it must've been a different falls she was thinking of.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Jun 04, 2019 2:29 pm 
There were more mosquitoes along the Waptus river trail this weekend than I have ever seen before in the Cascades, including the exact same time/same place 2 years ago.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 pm 
Made it into Pete lake today. There were some bugs, but it wasnt bad.
Pete lake pano
Pete lake pano

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSat Jun 15, 2019 10:02 am 
Julia and I did a quick overnight to Gothic Basin this week. Neither of us had been there for 5+ years and we hoped that going midweek in early season conditions would yield some solitude, which it did. We had the whole place to ourselves and only ran into a handful of people and dogs on the trail. The snow bridge at the first stream crossing is very thin, we went around. The trail is mostly under snow for the last 1/2 mi to the basin and the basin is still under snow except for the tallest rocks. Even with the snow cover, we could see destruction everywhere. All the plants in the rocks are trampled, fire rings are everywhere, tp, beer cans, etc. frown.gif Clouds started gathering late Thurs afternoon and we were completely socked in on Friday morning. By late morning we got a little break in the clouds so headed up Gothic peak, hoping the clouds would clear out by the time we got to Del Campo. But they hung around, so we decided to skip it and come back on a clear day.
going around the snow bridge
going around the snow bridge
climbing to foggy lake
climbing to foggy lake
clouds gathering on del campo
clouds gathering on del campo
clouds starting to break in the morning
clouds starting to break in the morning
climbing up to the ridge
climbing up to the ridge
summit block in the distance at center
summit block in the distance at center
ptarmigan
ptarmigan
julia climbing summit block
julia climbing summit block
foggy lake and encroaching clouds
foggy lake and encroaching clouds
del campo
del campo
ridge / clouds
ridge / clouds
looking back at the summit block
looking back at the summit block
clouds moving in on gothic
clouds moving in on gothic

Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Jun 15, 2019 5:05 pm 
Ah, Heather Lake. It was the first back pack that I can remember. I was about 6 years old. Many moons ago. At that time the trail started on the Little Wenatchee rather that the end of the road further up. I was given two loaves of bread to carry, one under each arm. Camped one nite at Heather then bushwacked our way up to Glasses. I think I caught the only fish on that trip. My wife and I made another hike in a few years back, but she pooped out when we came to the long climb. I just had to go on in and take another peek after 70 years or so.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 pm 
Made a little 450 mile ride today. Cle Elum to Lake Chelan, to Wintrop, lunch at the Mazama General Store. Washington Pass to Darington to Monroe to North Bend and home.
Lake Chelan
Lake Chelan
Mazama General Store
Mazama General Store
Washington Pass
Washington Pass
Washington Pass (2)
Washington Pass (2)

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 16, 2019 12:30 pm 
Did Perry Creek/Forgotten Meadows yesterday afternoon. Got a late start so we were heading up as everyone else was heading down. Went up to the bump on the ridge above the meadows. A fair bit of snow around the meadows still but overall remarkably melted out. No snow at all until hitting the saddle where it was patchy at first. Mt. Forgotten even looked mostly bare, including the north side.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 16, 2019 7:14 pm 
Crystal Peak not Crystal Mountain Father’s Day hike. Snow is all melted now crept for a 10’ flat crossing. Great views and a Avery Sour “Forbidden Fruit” snuck in from Boulder. Road is open to White River CG fees being charged.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 10:18 am 
I90 Solitude My thighs are paying the price today. It was worth it!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 1:40 pm 
I didn't do the traverse - just an out-back. I was trying to avoid the Ira cluster duck as much as possible. Looked like a bit of snow remained on the back side of the ridge. I saw two groups traversing over that way.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm 
Just returned from a 4-day WTA work party in the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness. Tons of fun with a great group of folks. 113 logs removed and about 13 miles of trails cleared. A nice FS pack train hauled our gear so the hiking to and from base camp at Indian Corral/Dunlap Spring via the Panjab Trail was made easy. I did a solo evening hike out to Oregon Butte to watch the sunset and full moonrise. Spectacular though the crew leader was slightly concerned about my 10pm arrival back to camp. Our work focused primarily on the Crooked Creek and Mount Misery Trails. We were told that The Backcountry Horsemen will have 70 members over 4th of July weekend in the area so trails that haven't seen maintenance in years should be well taken care of.
We were a group of 12, the maximum permitted in wilderness.
We were a group of 12, the maximum permitted in wilderness.
Bucking logs on the Mount Misery trail to Oregon Butte. We logged out 13 miles clearing 113 trees.
Bucking logs on the Mount Misery trail to Oregon Butte. We logged out 13 miles clearing 113 trees.
One of many meadow on the ridge top.
One of many meadow on the ridge top.
Tamarack.
Tamarack.
Mount Misery trail. Miles of this terrain up here.
Mount Misery trail. Miles of this terrain up here.
Saddle Butte (I think).
Saddle Butte (I think).
Aster.
Aster.
On Mt Misery trail during my solo hike to Oregon Butte.
On Mt Misery trail during my solo hike to Oregon Butte.
The last bit to Oregon Butte.
The last bit to Oregon Butte.
Oregon Butte Lookout, 6387.' This is the highpoint of Columbia County, Wa and a P2K summit.
Oregon Butte Lookout, 6387.' This is the highpoint of Columbia County, Wa and a P2K summit.
Full moon rising from Oregon Butte.
Full moon rising from Oregon Butte.
After a day of work I set off to bag this one. I ended up staying until sunset and returned to camp at 10pm. I thought I'd get chewed out by the crew leader but it all turned out OK. it was 4.25 miles each direction and not the 3 I had thought.
After a day of work I set off to bag this one. I ended up staying until sunset and returned to camp at 10pm. I thought I'd get chewed out by the crew leader but it all turned out OK. it was 4.25 miles each direction and not the 3 I had thought.
Prairie smoke near the top of Oregon Butte.
Prairie smoke near the top of Oregon Butte.
Sunset on the ridge above our camp at Dunlap Spring.
Sunset on the ridge above our camp at Dunlap Spring.
Headed down the Panjab Trail on the way home.
Headed down the Panjab Trail on the way home.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Jun 19, 2019 3:15 pm 
Nice pics of a beautiful area, Rich P, thanks to you and your fellow WTA trail crew members for all your hard work! Drove up a paint-scratcher of a road to the Top Lake Trail, which traverses through a very recent burn on Shoofly Mountain.
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
The trail hasn’t been maintained lately, but goes through some scenic terrain to a pretty lake near the PCT. No mosquitos at the lake yet, but pretty annoying on the way back down at the end of the day.
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19
Top Lake 6/17/19

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 19, 2019 5:46 pm 
Top Pear and Peach. I don't remember that road being brushy@?@?@?@?@?

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 am 
midweek Wednesday at Rainier Nat'l Park. Nice and uncrowded, beautiful day, one minute sunny and warm, the next windy and cold.
celebrating the 9th anniversary of renewing our vows at our 20th...so 29 all together, the same day as her parent's 64th.

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSat Jun 22, 2019 8:47 pm 
Went on a short hike up to the high point (5560+) on Polallie Ridge. Wildflowers were excellent. The short ridge hike to the high point was very nice. The high peaks to the north stayed in the clouds. I’m sure they would look great on a clear day from this area.
Polallie Ridge
Polallie Ridge