Forum Index > Trail Talk > Index Galena road update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 2:54 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Perhaps here and there they could have done without something in the design - I think the issue I had with this road design is that it's too wide, but I might be getting that mixed up with another repair, so I reserve the right to be wrong about what I think. hmmm.gif
I think you might be right that you have it mixed up with another repair. It looks like the current design is for 10-foot lanes with 1-foot shoulders. I believe anything less than 10-foot lanes would be fairly unusual for a new design.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 3:01 pm 
Schroder wrote:
No, it reflects current construction costs. WSDOT is building a single-lane roundabout on a rural highway, in an existing intersection, near me for $5 million. It's what things cost these days.
I'm not sure that an example of another ludicrous price falsifies my argument.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 3:05 pm 
Could be; but the design and what was built may be 2 different things. My minds eye sees a tour of Index-Galena work and saying to myself, “O, my…” But my minds eye has been wrong before. Anyway, perhaps some day we’ll see that road opened, regardless of what my mind’s eye sees.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Schroder wrote:
No, it reflects current construction costs. WSDOT is building a single-lane roundabout on a rural highway, in an existing intersection, near me for $5 million. It's what things cost these days.
I'm not sure that an example of another ludicrous price falsifies my argument.
OK, the rightness or wrongness of it doesn't matter - that's a funny argument!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 2:57 pm 
we walked the whole wash out today. Lots of flagging up in the woods and user trails everywhere. No construction that I could see. I'm pretty sure whatever they build will wash out again. We stopped where the washout started ( uphill end) and the main river course is still taking the majority of the water, but there is a pretty good flow coming down where the road washed out which will likely get higher as the snows continue melting. Upstream of the washout, there's a barrier which says, "private means private." But I thought the old road bed was public access??? cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 5:18 pm 
I walked the washout a couple weekends ago. I saw lots of user trails, most of which seemed to dead end, so I opted to rock hop out to the other end of the washout. Lots of chunks of asphalt out there.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 9:51 pm 
The last .5 mile is supposed to be well above the river, not repaired at the washout. But they can't engineer it, I guess. I still think about how funny I thought it was when the guy at Skykomish Ranger Station said it will take 15 years to repair. (I think I say this at least one a year on this thread) This fall it will be 14 years since it washed out.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 6:30 am 
Some person who we know has made it his agenda to not let this project be completed.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 6:46 am 
Does anyone remember when the washout happened? Its got to me more than 20 years. Is it reasonable to ever expect the road to be fixed?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 6:53 am 
Heh. We parked at the washout yesterday too, which seemed to have just a couple more cars then normal. Never seen so many cars randomly parked along reiter road, and the index galena. I'm not sure what people would be accessing from some of the spots. Lots of bouldering, maybe kayaking? I like the washout hike, but it can be rough on the ankles. Love the area just after the culvert where you can link all the jumbled concrete like it was a sidewalk. Went up to sunrise mine. On trout creek road at the first switchback there is a trail along what will be the new grade. At least 50' above the river. It was in bad shape earlier this year, but I think the homeowners from skyko have been maintaining it. I'm guessing private means private is to let people know if its posted private, stay out. Funny. We where taking a break at the river at the mine. Two guys in their mid 20's approached and asked if they could chat for a minute for some direction. Almost speechless when they asked if they where on the trail to blanca lake. Cool guys, just a little confused. I recall when I first started hiking in washington, finding the trail head was the hardest part. Then finding out alpine lakes dont melt until july.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 9:05 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Two guys in their mid 20's approached and asked if they could chat for a minute for some direction. Almost speechless when they asked if they where on the trail to blanca lake.
Dayum. That's not just OFF, that's "go home guys until you can figure this stuff out safely" OFF. Good on you for helping them out.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 9:39 am 
I think someday it might get done. Maybe still not for a few years. We where discussing yesterday if the current situation is going to prolong it even further. Or possibly speed construction along on the optimistic side. There isnt much current info, but if you go to the county webpage, there is a graphic of the timeline of the process, and where they are at now. Pdf, couldn't figure out how to post.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 10:06 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Does anyone remember when the washout happened? Its got to me more than 20 years. Is it reasonable to ever expect the road to be fixed?
2006! No! (the geology of the slope doesn't seem to want to hold a road).

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 10:42 am 
Ah. I see there was a Shoreline permit that was denied and appealed last summer. Snohomish Co project website. And original documents early in the project phase here. I attended some of these early open houses in Monroe. Seems so long ago (it was). Not a lot of attendees, though. Engineers and environmental experts and designers wub.gif ), me, Bill Lider, and some partner organization representatives, and a lot of cookies and lemonade.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 11:57 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Ah. I see there was a Shoreline permit that was denied and appealed last summer.
I thought the permit was approved and someone didn't like that and appealed the decision to issue the permit.