Forum Index > Trail Talk > Looking for a hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
penny1942
Got quirk?

penny1942
Got quirk?
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 5:55 am 
Hi everyone, Looking for some help finding a hike in the Cascades, North Bend/ Snoqualmie / Cle Elum area. I know the Olympics quite well, but not the Cascades. I only know that Lake Ingalls is like going to the mall. I am looking for something quieter. We want to do an overnight backpack, something up to 15-20 miles RT ( or less, of course). Lake, river, stream, views, we’ll take any of those. Any suggestions? TIA. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 8:41 am 
Robin Lakes and Spectacle Lake are cool overnight trips in the area. There will be other people though. Are you looking for solitude?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 9:02 am 
Robin and Spectacle are awesome. When are you planning on going? There is still snow around at those elevations. The trail to Robin Lakes is more of a scramble than a hiking trail. Spectacle Lake involves a creek crossing that can be challenging until later in the summer. Are you willing to venture to places further north or south than the I-90 corridor? Will you be bringing a dog?

penny1942
Got quirk?

penny1942
Got quirk?
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 10:46 am 
thanks for the replies. Yes, we were trying to plan something this weekend. and also yes, we are willing to go further north or south. Just not way up by Mt. Baker or south of 410 if I can help it. Just limited on time to drive to TH.

iron

iron
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 11:10 am 
snowking

penny1942
Got quirk?

penny1942
Got quirk?
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 11:26 am 
I will check out Snowking along with the others. Is there camping in Esmeralda Basin, does anyone know?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 12:14 pm 
If you're looking for something in the Teanaway but avoiding Ingalls Lake, some other good options that may or may not have plenty of company. Bean Creek Basin is lovely. There is a fork in the trail early on, you could also take Beverly Creek and camp at Fourth Creek. Navaho Pass has camping at a meadowy area a bit below the pass. Could be wet early in the season but pics I've seen from the area look generally quite melted out.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 12:23 pm 
I haven't ever done it, but near Cle Elum you could do Waptus River to Waptus Lake. A fair number of miles but not a lot of elevation gain. Numerous trails intersect at Waptus Lake so you could extend your hike further from camp. The route is supposed to be challenging but Spade Lake is gorgeous. You could continue west toward Lake Ivanhoe and Dutch Miller Gap. Or catch the PCT in either direction.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
If you're looking for something in the Teanaway but avoiding Ingalls Lake, some other good options that may or may not have plenty of company. Bean Creek Basin is lovely. There is a fork in the trail early on, you could also take Beverly Creek and camp at Fourth Creek. Navaho Pass has camping at a meadowy area a bit below the pass. Could be wet early in the season but pics I've seen from the area look generally quite melted out.
Lake Ann is a beautiful spot. Probably want to avoid the weekends.
Lake Ann
Lake Ann

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
penny1942
Got quirk?

penny1942
Got quirk?
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 4:39 pm 
Great suggestions everyone, I really appreciate it. I will research them and pick one. Thanks again!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 5:37 pm 
Paddy-Go-Easy Pass. Once you reach the pass you have many options for open alpine adventuring. Put in as many miles as you want and I'd be surprised if you encounter more than a handful, if any, other folks

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 6:02 pm 
penny1942 wrote:
Is there camping in Esmeralda Basin, does anyone know?
Yes. There are tons of little places to camp throughout the Teanaway. The basin surrounding Ingalls Lake is the only place that is "off limits". Lakes are scarcer in that region, but places to camp are plentiful. Especially if you have something like a MSR dromedary bag to haul water into a more remote campsite. I've enjoyed camping on a number of ridgelines in the Teanaway (and other places) and enjoyed excellent views in bug free solitude. Camping near lakes has the advantage of easy access to water and fishing, but tends to have more neighbors (both human and insect)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm 
On the west side a few suggestions: 1) Snoqualmie Lake -- a big beautiful sub-alpine lake -- its a bit of a slog to get there as you have to hike what used to be a road for 6 miles before getting to the old trailhead -- About 8.5 miles into the lake -- day hike to Deer and Bear lakes , nice view of Lake Dorthy and it's islands from the divide. Because of the extra distance of old road walking it's not particularly crowded. If you have a mountain bike, it's possible to ride the old road much of the distance without very much "hike a bike" 2) Nordrum Lake -- very similar to Snoqualmie Lake, but even less frequented. 3) Thompson Lake -- A lake with cool islands in it. Much of the trail is decommissioned logging road (not just neglected logging road) The distance into the lake and the fact that Harvey Manning never listed it in an guidebook helps with the crowds. 4) Lower (and Upper) Tuscohatchie lakes. The lower lake lies on an official trail -- but since Talapus, Ollalie and Pratt lake precede it on the trail -- the crowds tend to have thinned. The upper lake is a bit of brushwhack to reach -- but the campsites on the lake shore are starting to overgrow from lack of use. HTH