Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Better Than The Real Thing? Cover Songs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 3:36 pm 
Recently I heard a cover of Beethoven Sonata Op 111. But the way Beethoven played it is much better. The dude was awesome, albeit deaf and thus played too loud.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 11:30 pm 
Sixpence None the Richer is mostly known for their song "Kiss Me" that appeared in the movie "She's All That." They have some nice cover songs too. In fact this first one it's debatable whether the original or their version is the more well known. (well this is really confusing because the song "There She Goes" is associated with the movie "So I Married An Axe Murderer," and there are 2 different versions of the song from the movie. Anyway, The La's are the original artists)
The original is a very iconic 80s song.
I think I get just about equally nostalgic for the 80s and 90s.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jun 11, 2019 1:29 pm 
As everyone knows, Bob Seger did a LOT of covers in the early days. Some of the best songs on his Live Bullet album are covers. Being from Detroit, I’m a big fan of early Bob Seger. Now, I have always disliked the song, If I Were a Carpenter. No matter who covered it, I hated it. I knew Bob Seger did a cover, but since I dislike the song to almost unhealthy, unreasonable levels (the dislike is up there with any song Wings ever did), I didn’t even want to hear Seger’s version. Boy was I a dope. He covered it in 1972, and I finally listened to it a few years ago. It’s fantastic. Thin Lizzy covered Rosalie, a Bob Seger song, about the station director of Windsor Canada’s radio station CKLW. Seger’s is better. And honorable mention to GnR’s cover of Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door. While it not better, I like it.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jun 14, 2019 11:54 am 
Here's a Seger cover for ya. I didn't link the Metallica video because it's disturbing.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Jun 15, 2019 8:07 am 
olderthanIusedtobe, I saw Lucious play earlier this year. They were great in concert. Hearing a woman singing Cruel To Be Kind makes that song way too creepy. But speaking of Nick Lowe that brings up one of the all time great covers. Pretty much everybody knows Elvis Costello's (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding. Fewer people know that Nick Lowe wrote that song. Even fewer have heard the original by Lowe's old band Brinsley Schwarz.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Jun 15, 2019 8:17 am 
As long as I'm posting Elvis Costello covering Nick Lowe, I'd better post Nick Lowe covering Elvis Costello. This is one of my favorite Elvis Costello songs.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 16, 2019 4:27 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
olderthanIusedtobe, I saw Lucious play earlier this year. They were great in concert.
Cool, maybe I'll catch them next time they're in the area.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 19, 2019 11:26 pm 
Eilen Jewell is a wonderful song writer, but she's not above paying homage to some of her musical inspirations. She has an album full of bluesy/jazzy numbers that date WAY back. Her versions are sizzlin'.
(title track from said album)
She's fairly prolific. I'm not even sure how many albums she's got out. Got another on the way. Hasn't quit touring yet from her previous release. For selfish reasons I hope she just keeps going and comes back to Seattle again. But her husband is the drummer (I think playing washboard in both of these) and their little girl is on the road with them, so not that much reason to go home.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Jun 20, 2019 4:43 am 
Ring of fire. Carter's original is still the best. Cash is ok. Wall of voodoo ranks low out of dozens of covers.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Jun 23, 2019 6:01 pm 
So I'm listening to NPR this morning and I find out the backstory that Prince wrote Manic Monday and gave it to The Bangles. Just released is the new album from Prince and his gift. Holy sh#t!! eek.gif (Wait 20 seconds for the song.)
Here's the link to the story. https://www.npr.org/2019/06/21/734176868/how-prince-worked-his-magic-on-the-bangles-manic-monday And here's another to the whole LP, Originals... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrwXzbX3SWnsCT8UV_P4Nbj-CK5EiIYdm

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 24, 2019 11:50 am 
Totally torn on which version I like better.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm 
The best remake of all time:

contour5

contour5
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 3:29 pm 
Pink Floyd translates pretty fluidly into reggae. Alpha Blondy did a great studio version of Wish You Were Here. Works pretty well live, bagpipes and all:

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 3:03 pm 
Fairly recently I watched the movie "Teen Spirit" starring Elle Fanning. Apparently she does her own singing in the film, covers several recent hits. I honestly like her versions better. She's not a great singer but certainly credible.
This was the climatic finale of the movie. I didn't realize it at the time but the red track suit she's wearing is an ode to the video from the original artist.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 5:45 am 
Washington square originally by the villages stompers, then james last. A few others, but I became aware through Chinese man's modern interpretation.all so different, but I like all three! I feel like I've heard the James last version used in a movie or something? Maybe the Mandela effect.