Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anyone know why there's always a zillion trucks parked off I-90 outside North Bend
Previous :: Next Topic  
Author Message
Navy salad
Member
Member


Joined: 09 Sep 2008
Posts: 1570 | TRs
Location: Woodinville
Navy salad
  Top

Member
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 9:59 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I'm talking about near the truck stop, just east of North Bend. Most of the time I drive by, there are a slew of trucks parked up and down the entry and exit ramps.

I get that truck stops attract trucks, but why parked on the ramps and why so many? My first thought was an incredible restaurant, but I sorta doubt it!
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Posts: 5342 | TRs

Kim Brown
  Top

Member
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 10:43 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Sometimes a driver has to lay over because of timing regulations at the Port, (either the shipping dock, or entrance/exit ramps onto a highway at the docks- those are regulated as well for haulers), or because regulations require a ration of X amount of rest per X hours or miles (I don't know which) of driving.  If a trucker gets in early, they have to wait somewhere they can idle.

The town of N Bend did put a cap on idling trucks at that location a few years ago, don't know how that turned out, exactly.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Joey
verrry senior member



Joined: 05 Jun 2005
Posts: 2148 | TRs
Location: Redmond
Joey
  Top

verrry senior member
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 8:03 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
A few years back a trucker unloading hay at the place next to us said that trucks used to be able to park for free in a large area close to where they get fuel.  But then the policy changed and and a fee was charged to park there.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 6395 | TRs
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
RandyHiker
  Top

Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 8:43 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I think the rescinding of "free camping" at truck stops has something to do with the number of people living "full time" in RVs, vans and regular old cars on very little income.   Wealthy full time RVers don't blink at paying $50/night or more at an RV campground.  But people trying to live cheap find the bathrooms and showers at truck stops to be welcome.   I think truck stops were fine with people who were "passing through",  but when people are living at "Ken's Truck Town" for weeks or months, dumping trash and worse things it was bad for business.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jan 2002
Posts: 14064 | TRs
Location: Back Again Like A Bad Penny
Malachai Constant
  Top

Member
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 9:48 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
According to an article in the Times in Seattle the “Walter White” RVs are impounded when they have been parked in the same place for too long. When nobody bails them out they are sold at auction for near nothing, because they are totally trashed complete with feces and needles. “Car ranchers“ then buy them up and rent them out to homeless folks. Wash, Rinse and repeat. The city is now proposing to junk them now to break the cycle. Strange Times, I had never heard of car ranchers until today. shakehead.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
cdestroyer
Member
Member


Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Posts: 387 | TRs
Location: montana
cdestroyer
  Top

Member
PostWed Jun 19, 2019 7:33 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I dont know the area where the trucks are parking but if there is a large change in elevation they may be letting the packaging adjust. many snack chips etc are packed under pressure and unless allowed to adjust to pressure change they will explode
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Navy salad
Member
Member


Joined: 09 Sep 2008
Posts: 1570 | TRs
Location: Woodinville
Navy salad
  Top

Member
PostWed Jun 19, 2019 11:06 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
This makes sense, both the layover rules and perhaps letting the shipments adjust to pressure change.

I've also seen lots of big trucks parked, even in the middle of the day, on the siding road to the south of the section of I-90 east of North Bend, where there's a large pull-out area.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 10936 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostWed Jun 19, 2019 11:41 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant wrote:
The city is now proposing to junk them now to break the cycle. Strange Times, I had never heard of car ranchers until today. shakehead.gif

Break the cycle of folks at least having a roof over their head.... thereby pushing them into tents?

This 'help' is off the worst sort.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
JonnyQuest
Member
Member


Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 359 | TRs

JonnyQuest
  Top

Member
PostWed Jun 19, 2019 8:46 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
cdestroyer wrote:
I dont know the area where the trucks are parking but if there is a large change in elevation they may be letting the packaging adjust. many snack chips etc are packed under pressure and unless allowed to adjust to pressure change they will explode

Location in question is North Bend, which is at a fairly low elevation.  Most trucks their are inbound to Seattle and environs, so sealed packages would be losing internal pressure as trucks descended into North Bend.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob



Joined: 16 Dec 2001
Posts: 23122 | TRs
Location: Cle Elum
Backpacker Joe
  Top

NWH Joe-Bob
PostThu Jun 20, 2019 11:00 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Truckers are only allowed to drive so many hours a day.  They HAVE to pull over someplace and sleep/wait until their clock resets.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

— Abraham Lincoln
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
alpendave
Cat Herder



Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 725 | TRs
Location: Kitsap Peninsula
alpendave
  Top

Cat Herder
PostFri Jun 21, 2019 5:56 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant wrote:
According to an article in the Times in Seattle the “Walter White” RVs are impounded when they have been parked in the same place for too long. When nobody bails them out they are sold at auction for near nothing, because they are totally trashed complete with feces and needles. “Car ranchers“ then buy them up and rent them out to homeless folks. Wash, Rinse and repeat. The city is now proposing to junk them now to break the cycle. Strange Times, I had never heard of car ranchers until today. shakehead.gif

I just figured that it was people in their golden years retired from panhandling.

--------------
Like a ray of sunshine in a drought stricken land.

What we do does far more than what we think others ought to do. Inspiration is a far greater power for good than coercion. In your own life, show others the good that you wish to see in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap



Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Posts: 501 | TRs
Location: Lynnwood, WA (for now)
Michael Lewis
  Top

Taking a nap
PostThu Jun 27, 2019 2:39 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Don't know for sure. Perhaps someone could illuminate more on this.

But when I was a truck driver I learned that FMCSR require that an operator of a class A CMV cannot drive longer than 11 hours within a 14 hour period without a 10 hour rest period in between. Given that operators are also limited to 70 hours of operation in a given 8 day period, careful planning of routing and timing must be made to avoid getting stuck on ramps or any other place not safe for shutting down. Depending on the company they work for, likely they use an Electronic Logging Device which keeps a record of their time for DOT inspection. You can't park a class A just anywhere due to possible property damage risk from load distribution on roads, clearances, etc,  so drivers get desperate when their clock runs out. Driving team almost eliminates this issue because of the 1 hour overlap so I'd reason most of these drivers are probably solo.

My guess is unforeseen major traffic issues either on the road or at the destination receiver  and a full truck stop at the time they arrived caused them to shut down on the ramps to avoid a DOT violation on their Hours of Service Availability. Of course in my opinion it's not a safe option. They could get hit by other drivers. I saw this happen all over the country and think it's a major issue that's getting no attention. Solo truck drivers using ELDs stuck in traffic run out time and can't even get to a safe place to rest without breaking the law.

I was solo when I ran out of HOS time once in west Texas and took the violation over sleeping next to busy traffic. Dinged my record a little but seemed far safer to me to find a spot off the highway near a truck stop. The company let me keep driving and I left more room for error in my trip planning. Wasn't perfect though. Eventually realized over the road wasn't my thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!



Joined: 25 Dec 2006
Posts: 8892 | TRs
Location: Don't move here
treeswarper
  Top

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jun 27, 2019 6:19 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker wrote:
I think the rescinding of "free camping" at truck stops has something to do with the number of people living "full time" in RVs, vans and regular old cars on very little income.   Wealthy full time RVers don't blink at paying $50/night or more at an RV campground.  But people trying to live cheap find the bathrooms and showers at truck stops to be welcome.   I think truck stops were fine with people who were "passing through",  but when people are living at "Ken's Truck Town" for weeks or months, dumping trash and worse things it was bad for business.

I think you should look at all the fancy RVs staying the night in Walmarche lots.  Wealth doesn't seem to matter when it comes to saving a few bucks.  Canadians like our Walmarche for "camping".  You'll see some pretty spendy looking rigs parked there during the flight and return of the Snowbirds. 

Now, back to topic, trucks pull off on exits because of the required rest times.  Also, I bet they are girding their loins for the traffic west of North Bend.  They also use Rest Areas for ..... resting.  Sometimes parking hard to find at Rest Areas in the truck area.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 6395 | TRs
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
RandyHiker
  Top

Snarky Member
PostFri Jun 28, 2019 6:52 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper wrote:
I think you should look at all the fancy RVs staying the night in Walmarche lots.  Wealth doesn't seem to matter when it comes to saving a few bucks.  Canadians like our Walmarche for "camping".  You'll see some pretty spendy looking rigs parked there during the flight and return of the Snowbirds.

Now, back to topic, trucks pull off on exits because of the required rest times.  Also, I bet they are girding their loins for the traffic west of North Bend.  They also use Rest Areas for ..... resting.  Sometimes parking hard to find at Rest Areas in the truck area.


I think the key question posted in the OP isn't why do trucks park, but rather why are they parked on the off ramps instead of the large parking lot at Ken's Truck town where they have parked in decades past.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that Ken's is now charging for overnight parking.

RVers do use Wally world lots.  If the usage was simply "snowbirds in transit" , I don't think we would be seeing more and more Wally worlds restricting overnight parking.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Navy salad
Member
Member


Joined: 09 Sep 2008
Posts: 1570 | TRs
Location: Woodinville
Navy salad
  Top

Member
PostSat Jun 29, 2019 12:19 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker wrote:
I think the key question posted in the OP isn't why do trucks park, but rather why are they parked on the off ramps instead of the large parking lot at Ken's Truck town where they have parked in decades past.

Correct, that is what I was curious about. But I think the question's been answered -- at least to my satisfaction.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anyone know why there's always a zillion trucks parked off I-90 outside North Bend
  Happy Birthday Beave, Gruenk!
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
   Use Disclaimer Powered by phpBB Privacy Policy