Forum Index > Trail Talk > Outdoor related personal safety / guns / hunting
Previous :: Next Topic  
Dave Workman

Dave Workman

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Well, what you saw was a Ruger SR1911, their version of the M1911 pistol. Carried "cocked and locked" with a round in the chamber, safety on and hammer back.
That's one way they're designed to be carried, same as all 1911 pistols.

The 1911 platform actually has a couple of safeties. The thumb safety, and the grip safety. Unless the grip safety is depressed and the thumb safety is disengaged, the pistol will not go 'BANG!'...unless there is a very serious malfunction or the dummy has deliberately disengaged one of the safeties, typically the grip safety.

I carry a Colt Commander, either a lightweight or a Combat Commander. Nearly identical to the Ruger SR1911, except for the finish and those handsome stag grips! Cocked and locked.

Cocked and Locked
Cocked and Locked

You're a pistol instructor and never saw this before? Been a pistol instructor for more than 35 years myself. It would appear odd to NOT see someone carrying a 1911 that way, especially in bear or cougar country.

*Even sat in on the Tacoma PD training some years ago when they transitioned to carrying Kimbers as a duty sidearm. Everybody carried cocked and locked. That was the idea.

Incidentally...if you're carrying spray to fend off a cougar, good luck with that. Very few people are fast enough to engage in the kind of scenario you describe, and typically, mountain lions attack from behind or the side and they're on you before you have time to react.  up.gif  wink.gif  up.gif

--------------
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer." - D.H. Lawrence
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
timberghost

timberghost

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 am 
What kind of a holster do you carry your CC in? I like the Gunfighter chest holster.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 5:43 pm 
I like Kramer horse hide holsters.  Local too.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 6:34 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Incidentally...if you're carrying spray to fend off a cougar, good luck with that. Very few people are fast enough to engage in the kind of scenario you describe, and typically, mountain lions attack from behind or the side and they're on you before you have time to react. up.gif wink.gif up.gif

Do you believe that a higher percentage of people will be able to effectively defend themselves from a cougar attack using a sidearm?
Dave Workman

Dave Workman

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 12:20 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Do you believe that a higher percentage of people will be able to effectively defend themselves from a cougar attack using a sidearm?

Not necessarily. I've never thought that. Spray has a nasty habit of coming right back on you, depending on even the slightest breeze, and if you're in a life-or-death struggle, you don't need to be screwing up your own senses and reflexes. All that does is add seasoning to the cougar's next meal  winksmile.gif

The sidearm's single advantage is that the projectile only goes one direction, and even if you miss, that loud boom and muzzle flash is going to startle whatever is on the other end.

I don't recommend complete dependence on a sidearm in this kind of a situation, or really any kind of situation. Your greatest defensive weapon is your brain. Be alert, pay attention to what's going on around you, practice with your defensive tool at every opportunity because it is a piece of emergency survival equipment.

If you're alert, you should be fine.

I've encountered all sorts of wild critters on the trail (had a lot of years to do that) and in all but a couple of cases, I knew they were in the neighborhood early enough in the process to not worry about an attack.

Stay safe and enjoy the wilds.

--------------
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer." - D.H. Lawrence
Dave Workman

Dave Workman

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 12:22 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I like Kramer horse hide holsters.  Local too.

I know Greg and he makes a good product. And he's honorable enough to have not tried to rip off my designs.
Of course, I generally use my own rigs. <tsk)

--------------
Vertec

Vertec

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 4:29 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
Incidentally...if you're carrying spray to fend off a cougar, good luck with that. Very few people are fast enough to engage in the kind of scenario you describe, and typically, mountain lions attack from behind or the side and they're on you before you have time to react. up.gif wink.gif up.gif

It depends.  Consider that in the majority of recent attacks, victims were aware of the threat and had some amount of time before the attack commenced.  What someone does with that time will have a significant affect on outcome.  This material specifically addresses human threats, but the same concepts can be applied to other types:

Condition "Yellow" is not paranoia as some uninformed individuals like to parrot.  And, condition white is not naive ignorance.  It's a personal choice everyone has the right to make.

--------------
Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostFri Jun 21, 2019 6:29 am 
Vertec wrote:
Condition "Yellow" is not paranoia as some uninformed individuals like to parrot. And, condition white is not naive ignorance. It's a personal choice everyone has the right to make.

Vertec, both you and Dave are correct.  You're brain is your best weapon.  Being aware of your surroundings is key.  When I approach my car in a parking garage I don't just open and sit down. I look in the car. I look around myself before I move to open the car.  It doesn't matter whether you're in an urban or rural (although Urban probably requires more diligence.) environment.  Awareness is key. If you LOOK as though you're "Out of town" you're a more likely victim.  If you appear aware and in-touch with what's going on around you you're less likely to be a target.  In a rural environment that awareness give you the best opportunity to see what's going on around you.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
Dave Workman

Dave Workman

PostSat Jul 13, 2019 4:22 pm 
Hey BPJ:

What are you packing these days? I am still plugging along with my .357 S&W, though a couple of months back I tested a Charter Arms 5-shot in .41 Magnum for a magazine article that was kind of interesting. It's got a stout recoil, but the darn thing was surprisingly accurate.

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Outdoor related personal safety / guns / hunting
  Happy Birthday taildragger, aywolfpac, wbegasse!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: