PostWed Jun 26, 2019 11:49 am 
lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Jun 26, 2019 5:31 pm 
I've never been attacked by a grouse unless you count the numerous heart stoppages. But I did have one block the trail for a while, as she tried to distract me from her chicks in the brush. Once the kids were far enough away, she expressed her final disgust and ran off into the weeds.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jun 26, 2019 8:39 pm 
On the Cascade Pass trail this spring. Shot these with my phone (Note 8). They didn't especially want to be friends, but they were intrigued when I sang Slick Rock and Doug E Fresh for them. They really like Mona Lisa.
That thing on their neck might look gross to you, but the ladies find it irresistible.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 pm 
Wow, those are great pictures! Nice!

When I grow up I wanna play.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jun 26, 2019 11:26 pm 
Thats what bear spray is for up in parts of the north cascs. Gotta open a can on them grouses when they come at ya sideways!!

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
That thing on their neck might look gross to you, but the ladies find it irresistible.
and that is the difference in behavior between those guys and the moms trying to chase away the predators...to him you might be a girl and he's thinking "I'd hit that". To the moms "this creature is big and dangerous".

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu Jun 27, 2019 1:08 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
This happened to me on Saturday. Hatchery Creek TH. The grouse started attacking the car right when we showed up. It pecked at the tires then jumped on the roof of the car and started pecking the roof. Tried to get out of the car and it immediately tried to attack my head. Tried again with a trekking pole which didn't scare it away, it just attacked the pole, then tried to go for my head again. Threw a can at it and it attacked the can for a bit before attacking the car again. We started driving in circles in the parking lot to see if it would eventually give up, but it just followed the car around. After a couple circles it tried to attack the front tire, jumped right in front of the tire as we were driving and got run over. Overall a very weird experience, I've never encountered an animal as aggressive as this before.
Why didnt you just drive away and leave? Why circle the parking lot and stress it out more?

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 1:24 am 
I was hiking with a friend near Skagway AK (Lost lake) 10 years ago and we encountered a similar grouse or ptarmigan. I'm feeling vindicated as I read these stories, because no one takes you seriously when you tell them you got chased a mile down the trail by an angry bird, which is exactly what happened! It confronted us on the trail, and repeatedly flew at our faces. My initial fear was that it would go for our eyes. I grabbed a big stick and would push/block it when it would fly up at us. It seemed totally fearless and it was relentless. The situation seemed stupid in a way, because I knew I could settle it with one big whack from my stick--But I'm not the type to do something like that. Eventually, we gave up on the lake and turned around. To our surprise it chased us as we ran down the trail for nearly a mile, making creepy noises behind us the whole way!