Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments & Leavenworth Economy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
I whish they would by pass the town
You can by-pass the main part of town by using Icicle Rd & East Leavenworth Rd. Definitely not shorter, but an option.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Jun 28, 2019 8:33 am 
Yea I know that or thru Plain but it would be nice if 2 would bypass. I know it's not going to happen but it would still be nice.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jun 28, 2019 11:33 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Yea I know that or thru Plain but it would be nice if 2 would bypass. I know it's not going to happen but it would still be nice.
Hwy 2 is not familiar with the concept of a bypass. I'd rather skip Sultan, Startup and Gold Bar (and those 2 stupid lights that back up traffic for miles) than Leavenworth, but that probably ain't happening either.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jun 28, 2019 10:07 pm 
Jeff wrote:
It would be nice if Hwy 2 bypassed all the lights from Monroe to Goldbar too
That's Snoho County planning for you. If memory serves, most, if not all those lights weren't there in the 80's. Monroe proper was somewhere on one of those roads S of Hwy2, and if you sneezed when driving by, you'd miss the town. Then sometime in the 90's Monroe & Gold Bar started transforming into extensions of suburbia. The only town I've seen in subsequent decades that had the sense to Californicate itself away from the main highway is Sequim.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
trestle

trestle
PostSat Jun 29, 2019 9:04 am 
The highway migrated away from Sequim; US 101 used to run right through town. Fortunately, the north side of the Olympic Peninsula has excellent representation with the DOT and funding for the highway bypass was approved in the 90s. There has been talk for years of commercial development near the Sequim Avenue exit/overpass but there is still a glut of commercial property in the Sequim area.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jun 29, 2019 4:09 pm 
Thanks for the clarification, trestle. Those alterations happened in the decade I didn't visit; apparently someone altered my memory in the interim, too. tongue.gif Even a few service roads with ramps on/off the highway and a couple over-passes would have mitigated what US2 has become thru Monroe; the lack of foresight in planning for that area is amazing.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Dusty Trale

Dusty Trale
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 11:46 am 
In regards to the Highway 2 Monroe Bypass. I was on a WSDOT survey crew back in the mid 1980's when we finished the survey work for the bypass. The highway design work and right-of-way purchases was done back then for the bypass to be north of the Monroe Airport-Fairgrounds and the area north of the Fred Meyer, and the shopping center of the present day Highway 2 with several interchanges with county roads and city streets, plus Highway 522. The Monroe bypass would have rejoined Highway 2 east of Monroe by the Reptile Zoo. The reason the bypass still has not be built is because our WA state legislator never appropriated the funding for construction. If it is ever built, it will cost a lot more then if it had be done in the 1980's.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 11:03 pm 
This was inevitable, but now official.
Quote:
It is with great sadness that we announce the cancelation of the 2020 Leavenworth Oktoberfest due to the current COVID-19 restrictions. It goes without saying that this has been a trying year for all of us, but please know Projekt Bayern was doing everything humanly possible to keep the festival from canceling. Our biggest concern was over our Liquor permits being denied by the City and State. We held on hoping Chelan County would move through the Phases set forth by the State of Washington, but with little movement we decided to cancel the event to protect our patrons from losing their deposits for hotels and travel agendas. The safety of our guests and employees was also a huge factor.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Lost Arbor
Gathering my things

Lost Arbor
Gathering my things
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 1:06 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I got my fill before the insanity
Same here. I still fondly recall eating like kings that last night of our trip in '02. Easy Cheese forever.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 3:12 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
This was inevitable, but now official.
Quote:
It is with great sadness that we announce the cancelation of the 2020 Leavenworth Oktoberfest due to the current COVID-19 restrictions. It goes without saying that this has been a trying year for all of us, but please know Projekt Bayern was doing everything humanly possible to keep the festival from canceling. Our biggest concern was over our Liquor permits being denied by the City and State. We held on hoping Chelan County would move through the Phases set forth by the State of Washington, but with little movement we decided to cancel the event to protect our patrons from losing their deposits for hotels and travel agendas. The safety of our guests and employees was also a huge factor.
It'll still be a zoo

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 7:38 pm 
Yeah, they can even officially cancel the Christmas Lighting ceremony, but people will still come. Even with only Phase 1.5, town has been busy, probably lots of the Colchuck Crowd stopping in. Just as in post 9/11, many have opted out of flying to distant destinations for the drivable ones.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Oct 10, 2020 4:16 pm 
Oktoberfest Cancelled!!!? rotf.gif After 15 years of serving the "official event" I'm out and done. (Still have my day career up.gif ) Nevertheless, do not underestimate the will of beer-drinkers to gather in the streets and line up for limited seating! ....Super-spreader event? paranoid.gif nono.gif mum.gif At least the businesses can tread water and stay afloat but my wife has been dealing with a boatload of uncompliant customers in one of the shops. uhh.gif

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 6:26 am 
We went over for Friday for some cheap late season apples. Stopped at Gustav's for dinner and got the nice secluded table at the window. Didn't stop anywhere else. Icicle brewing looked pretty busy. Some people walking around town without masks. Just my personal opinion. When I am commuting, I might take our local back roads. If I am traveling for pleasure, I find it rude to use residential roads to expedite my travels. Exception if i want to go slow and tool through to see the view. Almost any highway 2 back road sugested involves driving past front yards where people live, and kids play. Our back road is signed "not a highway 2 bypass" yet Waze and google still directs hundreds of cars that way every weekend.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 8:03 am 
We have the same problem of people using back roads for a bypass. Sometimes they even follow me, thinking that I know a secret way around, until they end up at a dead end. lol.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 10:37 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Just my personal opinion. When I am commuting, I might take our local back roads. If I am traveling for pleasure, I find it rude to use residential roads to expedite my travels. Exception if i want to go slow and tool through to see the view. Almost any highway 2 back road sugested involves driving past front yards where people live, and kids play. Our back road is signed "not a highway 2 bypass" yet Waze and google still directs hundreds of cars that way every weekend.
Google and Waze don't know about the sign. They might be amenable to removing your road from their algorithm if you write them. There was a time when Google's motto was "don't be evil" and it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that somebody who works there might still feel that way. Also, customer reported bugs are a big deal at tech companies. If your complaint came in the form of "your map routed me down a residential street and I had to take extra care not to hit one of the children and dogs everywhere" I bet that would be prioritized more than if you asked them to stop routing people through your neighborhood.