Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gladys gets a job on the Twisp Pass trail. June 26, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jun 29, 2019 4:40 pm 
Karl, Thanks for this great illustrated primer on logging technique and the calculus involved in safely removing a tree of that size. Now we can better appreciate what's involved when we see such handiwork. borank.gif We bow before the cognoscenti of arborist arcana and thank all for your ongoing dedication to volunteer service. Nice mascot supervisor, too!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 8:07 am 
Karl, thanks for your work. We really enjoyed North Twentymile last week. Already a half dozen logs have fallen on the trail, but in general it was a delightful hike. A few logs are no problem but hundreds are terrible!

KarlK

KarlK
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 8:59 am 
Riverside Laker -- thanks for the comment and update. Can you tell me the largest approximate diameter of the new deadfall? Might head up there with a Katanaboy.

Karl J Kaiyala
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 10:07 am 
I don't think any were really large. I'd guess no more than 8". We ran into Martin S from this site up there who might remember better.

Stumblefoot
Stumblefoot

Stumblefoot
Stumblefoot
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 7:55 pm 
Theoretically, what sort of trouble( fines, tickets, jail time?) could a person get themselves into, if, say, she or he threw their theoretical chainsaw onto his or her shoulder, and in the early predawn hours lit out up the trail and, for instance, started illegally and with malicious intent, clearing the trail of obstructions, blockages, and obstacles, and, whereupon encountering a Park (St)ranger, pleaded ignorance of any wrong doing?

KarlK

KarlK
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 8:11 pm 
My understanding is that the fines and penalties are quite severe. The details are in the devil, who I will have to consult to get you a better answer.

Karl J Kaiyala
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 6:15 am 
Stumblefoot wrote:
Theoretically, what sort of trouble( fines, tickets, jail time?) could a person get themselves into, if, say, she or he threw their theoretical chainsaw onto his or her shoulder, and in the early predawn hours lit out up the trail and, for instance, started illegally and with malicious intent, clearing the trail of obstructions, blockages, and obstacles, and, whereupon encountering a Park (St)ranger, pleaded ignorance of any wrong doing?
As has been done before from what I heard with the exception of the Park (St)ranger. I have one of these 6 ft "misery Whip" saws with handles that is a display item.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 6:26 am 
Stumblefoot wrote:
pleaded ignorance of any wrong doing?
I'm not an attorney, but your post could be evidence of foreknowledge of illegality.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 9:52 am 
When there's trouble on the trail KarlK rolls up his sleeves and tackles the problem bare-handed. Then he goes fishing__for compliments.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
KarlK

KarlK
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 10:14 am 
CC, thanks for taking time out from yelling at the TV to offer the nice compliment! dizzy.gif

Karl J Kaiyala
Mikey

Mikey
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 9:28 pm 
Many thanks Karl for your photos and cross-cut saw story. Years ago we were fishing the South Fork Toutle for steelhead and I found a 45" cross-cut saw in the river. My Dad said this short cross-cut saw might have been used to cut the top and limbs off a tree to make a spar tree for a logging site. My Dad sharpened that short cross-cut saw and I kept it in my truck. Once (prior to the Mt St Helens eruption) we were driving via the USFS Rd 100 NE of Mt St Helens (east of Spirit Lake) to go fishing at Ghost lake and there was a Hemlock fallen blocking the road. Using the 45" cross-cut saw with handles on both ends, we sawed through the about 22" diameter tree rather quickly. A sharp cross-cut saw will "sing"right through a log. I have used that saw to cut smaller trees (10-15" diameter) across the PCT trail north of Snoqualmie Pass when the trail was melted out. I have other longer cross-cut saws (both my uncle and Dad were loggers in their younger years) and I suspect they are all prior to WWII vintage. One of my long cross-cut saws look like your "Gladys".

KarlK

KarlK
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 9:44 pm 
Mikey, that's a terrific story! And I think you are correct in surmising that your saw was used for topping spar trees. I say this because I have a good friend, Chuck Trueman, who was a high rigger for much of his 30 year logging career, and he showed me a cut-down crosscut saw he used for topping spar trees prior to the advent of compact chainsaws that were suitable for the job -- it looks like the description of the saw your dad restored to life. Yes, a properly filed and set crosscut literally "sings" in use, and that is an amazing thing to behold.

Karl J Kaiyala
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 8:50 pm 
Does it matter much if the saws sides are rusty as this may cause friction making for harder cutting?

KarlK

KarlK
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 9:24 pm 
It matters some. We also spritz WD 40 on at intervals to smooth the way.

Karl J Kaiyala