Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Avoiding fireworks noise?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rhughes
Painter

rhughes
Painter
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 3:53 pm 
My little dog suffers greatly from loud noises such as thunder and fireworks. I'm hoping someone knows of a place within a reasonable driving distance from Everett where I could find lodging in a fireworks noise free area. Or is this impossible?

rhughes Painter Author of North Cascades Beautiful: An Artist's View Author of 100 Beautiful Views of Glacier National Park RoyEHughes.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 5:14 pm 
Consult with your veterinarian, there are medications to ease the anxiety that results from all the explosions.

rhughes
Painter

rhughes
Painter
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 6:24 pm 
I've tried vet prescription meds and a Thundershirt and a couple of types of edibles to no avail. It appears that the only solution is the absence of the noise.

rhughes Painter Author of North Cascades Beautiful: An Artist's View Author of 100 Beautiful Views of Glacier National Park RoyEHughes.com
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 6:52 pm 
Did you follow up with the vet? There are a variety of medications available. If the goal is to get far away from the noise as possible, I would recommend hiking to Horseshoe Basin from Iron Gate trailhead and camping near Louden Lake. It's far out there, so even if idiots do haul in some fireworks, it won't be much. Plus the area is inhabited by huge numbers of ground squirrels (similar to marmots, but smaller) so your fur ball will have their attention focused on something far more interesting.

rhughes
Painter

rhughes
Painter
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 7:19 pm 
I must apologize for not providing enough information. I mentioned accommodations, as in a motel, because I am 77 years old and in not good health. Although I used to enjoy hiking greatly it's not in the game any more. So, to be more precise: I would like to find a place to drive to that is not too far from Everett. I would like to find a place, where for whatever reason, fireworks are not allowed and actually not fired off. I would like that place to have a motel that takes dogs where my dog and I could hang out for a few days over the 4th. I really rather doubt that I'll find any place like that but since I've gotten some good information from this forum in the past I thought I'd give it a try.

Frango

Frango
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 9:02 pm 
I have been told that Wenatchee is pretty quiet over the 4th - I’ve never been there myself as it is a hiking holiday for me. But it may be worth checking out - there are lots of hotels/motels to be had in the area.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 9:41 am 
I bet Marblemount, but I've never been there for the 4th of July. It's not a terribly long drive, and there are a few hotels in the area. There will probably be individuals setting them off everywhere, but there are fewer people and less open space there, doesn't lend itself to a big display. Thanks for the reminder, I need some meds for my kitties.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 11:07 am 
A friend's neighbor (veteran with PTSD) would go to Canada every year around the 4th of July to get away from the fireworks, but that may be further than you want to go.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 pm 
Windstorm wrote:
A friend's neighbor (veteran with PTSD) would go to Canada every year around the 4th of July to get away from the fireworks, but that may be further than you want to go.
Great idea. I took my dog to Canada several years ago and was very diligent about getting all the paperwork in order about her vaccinations and such. But neither the Canadian nor the US border patrol agents asked to see the papers or anything about her, other that Canadian agent saying nice looking dog. Of course you will need a passport to cross the border. There are inexpensive motels in Hope.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 3:06 pm 
Today is Canada day and many cities have fireworks shows as well as sell fireworks this week and guy fawns day.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 4:48 pm 
Cyclopath has the right idea - I was thinking of up Hwy 20 also, but farther. "Theoretically" there will be no fireworks in the national parks/forests. Years ago I stayed in a campground near Ross Lake, Diablo, I think it was. There also may be options near Glacier, WA, too. All you can do on this side of the border (outside of the parks) is minimize the amount you'll be exposed to. Closest thing to you in terms of campgrounds might be somewhere up the Mt. Loop Highway, if you can find one along the river far enough away from Verlot. I have friends who live near there and it's noisy. Canada may be your best bet - perhaps White Rock, or any small town east of the Sumas crossing. But I'm guessing camp ground camping may not be an option for you, either. I'll pm you re my favorite "sekrit" motel in the Bellingham area - being away from residences and near the freeway, it might be your best bet. B'ham isn't a bad place to spend a few days. Some nice local parks, and you could even take a day drive to Artist Point on Mt. Baker if enough snow is gone.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 7:32 pm 
Motel 6 in Bellingham. Ask for a room on the freeway side. You can look on mapquest and see that it's in a fairly commercial area, some distance from any houses or parks.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Years ago I stayed in a campground near Ross Lake, Diablo, I think it was.
Probably Colonial Creek, it straddles highway 20, some of the sites are very close to the water. There are two trails that leave from the campground, and a nice beach. (But the water is too cold to swim.) There's an amphitheater, sometimes they have naturalist programs, there was one about how the nearby mountains got their names. The OP is looking for a hotel, so it's Marblemount or Mazama. But for anybody looking to camp, that's a great one for drive in camping.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 11:26 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Consult with your veterinarian, there are medications to ease the anxiety that results from all the explosions.
I wanted to thank you again for this. The vet gave me gabapentin for the kitties. They don't like fireworks. Unfortunately the very gave me pills. eek.gif

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 3:11 pm 
I'm hopeful that aerial light shows made up of coordinated drones will eventually replace fireworks - they can be every bit as spectacular as fireworks (if not more so), are relatively quiet, don't require expensive non-reusable materials, and don't cause any pollution.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/