Forum Index > Trail Talk > GRW / Old Snowy?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Moose

Moose
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 7:03 am 
Has anyone been up Old Snowy lately? Wondering if it's melted out yet and curious about general conditions in the Goat Rocks. Likely too early for wildflowers? TIA!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 7:39 am 
Haven't been up there this year but I'll be looking at it from the shoulder of Devil's Horn this weekend.

Mikey

Mikey
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 4:09 pm 
The SnoTel station at Pigtail Peak 5800 ft was snow free on June 16 2019. Old Snowy 7930 ft Mt Curtis Gilbert 8184 Goat Lake 6400 ft Probably snow patches on Old Snowy. Flowers should be abundant in the Snow Grass flats and Goat Lake area. Looking at the SnoTel snow reports it appears that the Pigtail Peak went snow free about 5 weeks earlier than average. With reference to Devil's Horn, the "Conrad" name on Conrad glacier, Conrad Meadows, etc. was from a pioneer Conrad family in the Yakima area. Les Conrad had cattle in the USFS alpine areas in the Tieton watershed during the summer and later Les was a Yakima County Commissioner. Les's son Dick Conrad has an orchard on the east side of the Columbia river near the White Bluffs (north of Tri-Cities).

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 3:54 pm 
I was on Gilbert Peak last Saturday the 30th. Here’s the view from the summit looking towards Old Snowy. https://i.imgur.com/sYZmoF0.jpg This is mainly showing the north side of the ridge though, looking into the basins to the SW looked much less snowy. There were some flower blooms in the meadows but they weren’t massive - not sure if it’s a timing issue or where we just happened to be.

Moose

Moose
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 9:50 am 
Thanks for all the beta! We spent the day out there yesterday and I can verify most of the above - there were snow patches on the approach to Old Snowy from the Flats but nothing that presented any obstacle. The ridge and scramble itself were both snow-free. And there were barely any flowers blooming at Snowgrass Flats. We're probably another three weeks out from peak wildflower season in that area. Also, Goat Lake is still completely frozen over, so no flowers there yet.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 6:20 pm 
Well I see I'm too late, and it shows the wrong side of the mountain, but because I mentioned it above, here's Old Snowy from the ridge between Tieton Peak and Devil's Horn (5 July 2019):

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 8:28 am 
Moose wrote:
Thanks for all the beta! We spent the day out there yesterday and I can verify most of the above - there were snow patches on the approach to Old Snowy from the Flats but nothing that presented any obstacle. The ridge and scramble itself were both snow-free. And there were barely any flowers blooming at Snowgrass Flats. We're probably another three weeks out from peak wildflower season in that area. Also, Goat Lake is still completely frozen over, so no flowers there yet.
Moose - How were the bugs?

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
Moose

Moose
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 6:13 am 
SteeperColder wrote:
Moose - How were the bugs?
Bugs were really bad at the TH and in the trees but thankfully disappeared once we got to Snowgrass Flat; however, we passed several people heading down that said the bugs had been terrible at the Flat when they'd been camping overnight...