cdestroyer
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 6:23 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 6:55 am 
All of that and more. My mother had a charge account at Lincoln Market at 38th & G, where Glenn the Butcher would cut pork chops to order behind a huge glass case. The floors were well-worn 1" x 3" tongue-and-groove fir. A huge roll of twine hung from the ceiling - the checker would yank a length of it down and cut it off to wrap the groceries up in brown paper. Everybody smoked, and they smoked everywhere. In department stores in the cosmetics department, on the elevators (which had operators who would ask "Which floor, please?"), in doctors' offices. When I was in the emergency room in a hospital in Salt Lake City on July 2, 1966, the doctor who came in was poking the second-degree burns on my chest with the mouthpiece of his pipe and saying "Oh... this is no more than a bad sunburn." And everybody watched way too much television, which progressively over the years became more vapid, aiming at the lowest common denominator of human intelligence in order to garner the largest share of viewers for the sponsors peddling cigarettes, laundry soap, and new Pontiacs. Small wonder we have become a nation of morons ready and willing to accept the half-truths and outright lies we are bombarded with. As for Spam? We never ate that stuff when I was a kid. It was only much later on in life that I came to appreciate the incomparable satisfaction of a breakfast of Spam eggs and rice (with the right shoyu, of course.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 7:01 am 
... speaking of laundry soap brings back memories of an old ditty inspired by a commercial featuring a white knight on a horse.... covered here with a slightly different twist:

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."