Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing person
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Jun 20, 2019 1:56 pm 
Schroder wrote:
The Glacier Lake where he was found is the one above Surprise Lake.
Thank you for clarifying. I was wondering how he found his way to the one by Chikamin.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
natural_log

natural_log
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 7:23 am 
bullfrog wrote:
Here are all the details. Not sure if it was a suicide or just an injury. https://www.heraldnet.com/news/missing-for-8-months-everett-man-found-dead-in-cascades/
Interesting details described in this article (thanks for sharing). I'm glad the family can receive some closure.

brineal
Snarky Master

brineal
Snarky Master
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 9:15 am 
So everyone is buying that this guy went up there to die by starvation on purpose? Interesting method I don't think most people choose such a slow, agonizing suicide. He's up at Glacier lake, which runs right on the PCT and just chooses to die? I'd assume that SAR didn't make it more than a few miles from Stevens Pass in a typical search area (5 air miles from base area at Stevens to the lake). Why didn't this guy hike back out?

hbb

hbb
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 10:05 am 
I wouldn't expect him to be making rational decisions. From the article linked above: " His family said he had almost no hiking experience and may have had a mental health crisis."

brineal
Snarky Master

brineal
Snarky Master
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 10:51 am 
I'd think an equally irrational thought is that someone would go out into the cascades in late october with the goal being suicide through starvation and exposure? When faced with such a grim outcome the will to live has to come out, that's why most people choose a quick, effective method of suicide. Anyways would be curious what the coroner's report says, did he leave his vehicle unlocked? What was left at his home? Just a strange set of circumstances, especially since that lake is at most a 2 day out and back, not to say that it would have been a likely search location as SAR probably focused closer to his last known wherabouts.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 1:29 pm 
confused.gif People experiencing a mental health crisis typically aren't thinking about long term consequences. This guy might have wanted to just escape whatever was troubling him. From there, it's easy to run into trouble in the wilderness when you're not thinking rationally.