Forum Index > Trail Talk > How much snow is on Bull's Tooth and Icicle Ridge? (for Icicle Ridge through hike)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostFri Jun 28, 2019 12:04 pm 
A buddy want to through hike from Steven's Pass to the Chatter Creek Trailhead on Icicle Creek. The high points are between 6.000 and 7,000 feet. I was at Lake Caroline (6,290 feet) earlier this week, and there was very little snow there or on the surrounding, higher, mountains, so I'm hoping Bull's Tooth and Icicle Ridge are mostly snow free or will be soon. We're planning to hike from the Steven's Pass Trailhead to Doelle Lakes on day 1. On day 2, we'll hike to the Lake Margaret area. I understand the "Route" from Doelle Lakes to the Icicle Ridge Trail is pretty much non-existent, but my off-trail skills are good, and this trip report from last August makes me feel better about it (although that's the most favorable recent trip report I've found). On day 3, we'll hike out Chatter Creek after a side trip to Brigham and Fiona Lakes. If our schedules permits us to add a fourth day, we may add side trips to Lake Grace and Sylvester Lake. I'm really excited. This trip will allow me to pin a bunch of Alpine Lakes I haven't been to yet.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Jun 28, 2019 2:12 pm 
Staying on the abandoned trail was not an issue for me, but it is quite possible that you will hit steep snow on the back side of the notch between Chain Lakes and Doelle Lakes. There is a lot of high, rolling country in the vicinity, but the contour lines are very close together between the two sets of lakes. I don't think there are any ways around that notch that are worth considering.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jun 28, 2019 4:43 pm 
The updated caltopo shows very very recent satellite imagery. Unfortunately the last scan only shows cloud tops. https://caltopo.com/map.html

Dante

Dante
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 2:03 pm 
Thanks Sculpin and Randy. The current Caltopo images look great!