Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing hiker Denny Creek Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostSun Jun 30, 2019 10:22 pm 
Anyone see him Sunday? Please contact King County Sheriff. 206-296-3311. https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/search-for-missing-hiker-underway-near-keekwulee-falls/962848781

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 10:44 am 
A good ending https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/hiker-overdue-in-denny-creek-area-of-cascades/289851765

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 10:57 am 
InFlight wrote:
A good ending https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/hiker-overdue-in-denny-creek-area-of-cascades/289851765
That's a different hiker from 2016. I believe they're still looking for the one that went missing yesterday.

hbb

hbb
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 10:57 am 
Those stories relate to two different missing hikers.

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 1:11 pm 
Correct Mr Rao is still missing.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Gil

Gil
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 5:19 am 
A tragic end in the updated original link. Condolences to his loved ones.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 12:25 pm 
RIP Mr. Rao

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
nordique

nordique
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 5:00 pm 
Updated report, from the Seattle Times: The body of a missing hiker was found Monday night near Granite Mountain in the Snoqualmie Pass area, according to the King County Sheriff’s Office. The sheriff’s office said the body is that of Kumaraswami “Kumar” Rao, 55, but the King County Medical Examiner’s Office will identify the body and cause of death. Rao began hiking alone on Denny Creek Trail, which is off Interstate 90 just west of Snoqualmie Pass, early Sunday morning. He had a camera and tripod with him and told his family he’d be home no later than noon, according to the sheriff’s office. They called 911 when he didn’t return by 2:30 p.m. The trail is popular among hikers and families, who typically stop and turn around after reaching the natural water slides or continue on for a six-mile roundtrip hike, according to the Washington Trails Association. Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Ryan Abbott said hikers have been known to get lost in the area, though. More than 60 sheriff’s deputies and search-and-rescue members looked for Rao in an area Abbott said was larger than the city of Seattle. They found a body matching his description off the trail around 9 p.m. Monday. He had hiked about 6 miles in and appeared to have taken some wrong turns, Abbott said. No foul play is expected, Abbott said. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/searchers-find-body-of-man-believed-to-be-missing-denny-creek-hiker/

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 7:37 pm 
Thanks, nordique for providing the text from that report. That's a pretty popular trail with folks heading up to Melakwa Lake and other places. I should think he encountered a number of people along the way. I know that it's a bit tricky beyond Hemlock Pass if you are trying to make it to the Pratt River basin and beyond--especially if there is still hard snowpack covered by fir needles, etc.. ~z

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 9:42 pm 
Link to 7/2/19 KCSO press release Six miles up the Denny Creek trail but on Granite Mountain? confused.gif Maybe lower Tuscohatchie?

Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 pm 
The last CP for the search was at Granite Mtn trailhead! Whatever route he followed would be interesting to know.

Bergschlawiner
car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 1:50 pm 
In the Pratt about 500 feet upstream from where the Lower Tuscohatchie-Kaleetan Lake trail crosses the Pratt. We'll probably never know how or why he was in the river.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
jasonracey

jasonracey
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 2:55 pm 
I was there a week ago. Came back down in the dark by headlamp. Because I was looking down where I was stepping, I missed the signed junction with the trail to Lower Tuscohatchie. The signs are posted about 10 feet up a tree trunk and it's not an obvious fork. I mistakenly went down the trail to Lower Tuscohatchie for a few minutes. Walked about 200-300 yards before I noticed the trail surface and wear seemed very different from the one back to Hemlock Pass. In case it helps, the trail back to to Hemlock Pass is well-established and very muddy. The trail to Lower Tuscohatchie is much drier, mostly needles, no mud. It's also much less distinct in spots. It would be very easy for an inexperienced hiker to miss the junction and have no idea they were going the wrong way until they had dropped 1100' and reached Lower Tuscohatchie Lake. And then what? They're tired and not sure what happened, and several miles from any trailhead.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 4:10 pm 
Folks have been getting lost there for years, I thought they had corrected some of the signs a few years ago.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 4:41 pm 
car68 wrote:
In the Pratt about 500 feet upstream from where the Lower Tuscohatchie-Kaleetan Lake trail crosses the Pratt. We'll probably never know how or why he was in the river.
I know that area. What was he doing up there? Strange. Did SAR find him? Nobody hikes down that trail. Windy/Kaleetan gets very little traffic.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln