Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for 4-night Goat Rocks Trip?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker

bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 3:29 pm 
My daughter and I (from Montana) are hoping to do a 4-night loop in the Goat Rocks starting on July 16. I've been searching for ideas. This will probably be our only trip in the GR Wilderness, so we want to make the best of it. We are both very fit and experienced. Do you have any suggestions as we plan the adventure? Thanks. Rod Benson bigskywalker.com

Happy trails! bigskywalker.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 3:42 pm 
Can you manage the logistics of a point to point ? White Pass -> Walupt Lake along the PCT with side trips to Old Snowy, Ives and Curtis Gilbert is pretty nice. The route finding on Curtis Gilbert from Cispus Basin is a bit challenging -- but the goats go that way regularly -- so just try to follow the goat tracks and pellets.

altersego

altersego
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 3:46 pm 
We did the big "loop", starting at Berry Patch TH, up Goat Ridge (planned to stay at Heart Lake but scrapped after sketchy tread just over Hawkeye Point—usually a snow field but just an outsloped, eroded trail in low snow years). So instead stayed at Jordan basin which was pretty nice. Then on to Snowgrass, but camped for 2 nights below along the Bypass Trail. If I did it again I'd snag one of the sweet sites up above Snowgrass off the PCT. Be sure to fit in a trip up Old Snowy for the incredible views! Then over Cispus Pass to Sheep Lake for a night, Walupt Lake CG for a night and back to Berry Patch on the 7A trail (look at WTA trip reports for great directions for the 7A—a Green Trails map didn't help me much). That's five days, but you could easily do four and just go out a back via the normal loop of Berry Patch TH to Snowgrass TH. Admittedly, the 7A trail is a bit of a slog after a while and fording the Cispus might be tricky depending on your timing. I haven't been to other parts of Goat Rocks but this part seems like it offers the best views and most options.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 3:56 pm 
I did most of altersego's suggested itinerary in the opposite direction several years ago, very enjoyable. We had a group so were able to car shuttle and skip walking from Berry Patch to Walupt. I would add if you are in the vicinity of Old Snowy you should definitely head a bit north on the PCT to take in the Knife Edge section of ridge walking. edit--oh whoops, we didn't try to get over to Heart Lake/Jordan Basin. I was thinking of Goat Lake.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Jul 03, 2019 5:31 pm 
Must sees include the knife edge, Old Snowy, Cispus Basin, Goat Lake, Hawkeye Point (the best view in the G.R.). A thru hike from Walupt Lake to White Pass with appropriate side trips will work, but the logistics are tough on that one. If you need a loop, Snowgrass Trailhead to Berry Patch Trailhead with appropriate side trips will work. A semi-loop from Walupt Lake to Snowgrass/Berry Patch with appropriate side trips will work, with about 8 slow miles of forest road to hitch-hike to close the loop. The east side of the Rocks (Conrad Basin area) ain't bad, either, but I don't know if there's 5 days' worth there. I've done multiple variations on almost all of those, but the only one I ever spent 4 nights on was Walupt to White (with side trip to Hawkeye).

bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker

bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 3:30 pm 
Thanks for all the advice! My daughter did the PCT through OR and WA last summer, so she would like to see a different part of the Goat Rocks. Also, the logistics of a loop is much more appealing. Thanks though.

Happy trails! bigskywalker.com
kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 7:37 pm 
Avoid weekends. The area gets hammered since it's accessible from both Seattle and Portland. And bring bug juice!! (Don't mean to be negative but July= crowds+ bugs).