Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sibley Peak and Sibley Point - 6.30.2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 5:52 pm 
Long story, short... as good as it gets for a short hike. From Wikipedia... "Hidden Lake Peaks is a series of peaks with a maximum elevation of 7,088 feet that are located in the North Cascades of Washington state. The peaks extend three miles southwest from the nearest higher peak called The Triad." Having done this trip on July 11 last year I didn't realize that the Hidden Lake Peaks extended from the famous lookout all the way out to The Triad... however, taking a closer look at the USGS map, it clearly shows the words "Hidden Lake Peaks" stretching along the three mile ridgeline from the lookout to The Triad. At 0.0 miles... 3500 feet... Hidden Lake Trailhead At 2.2 miles... 5400 feet... Leave main trail At 2.4 miles... 6050 feet... reach Sibley Pass At 2.6 miles... 6496 feet... reach Sibley Peak At 3.0 miles... 6753 feet... reach Sibley Point At 3.4 miles... 6496 feet... return to Sibley Peak At 3.6 miles... 6050 feet... return to Sibley Pass At 3.8 miles... 5400 feet... reconnect with the main trail At 6.0 miles... 3500 feet... get in the car and drive home The trail was snowfree to ~5400 feet... where we left the main trail, put on our spikes and worked our way more or less directly up the steep terrain to Sibley Pass... then gained another steep 450 feet of terrain to the summit (6496') of Sibley Peak... leaving a .4 mile ridge hike that had a lot of ups and downs as it took us over to Sibley Point (6732'). Stunning 360 degree views from the peak out to the point... especially of Early Morning Spire, Dorado Needle, Eldorado and The Triad. We traced our steps from Sibley Point back to the car... barely beating thunder claps and light rain. The 4.7 mile drive to the trailhead on Road 1540 involved several patches of rugged terrain... however, there was a Toyota Prius in the parking area... no idea how long it had been there, but it was definitely there. My GPS said 6 miles roundtrip, gaining 4277 feet of elevation (very similar stats as last July)... however, I think the elevation gain was much closer to 3600-3800 feet. It is pretty obvious that there is ~3000 feet of elevation gain from the trailhead to the summit of Sibley Peak... and I think it is impossible for there to be another 1300 feet of elevation gain involved with getting out to Sibley Point and back to the peak. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our trip to Sibley Peak and Sibley Point. ...

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 12:39 pm 
up.gif I haven't been up there in a while, but I love traversing along the ridge either direction from Sibley Creek Pass. Good stuff.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message