Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt Adams road condition
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 12:22 pm 
I have a car and was wondering if i would be good to make it to the trailhead on the south route of the mountain. I know it might be pretty rough! Any info will be appreciated, thanks fellow hikers! Cheers!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
christensent

christensent
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 3:35 pm 
From what I hear, it is in the normal condition of being very rocky and rough, but it is always doable in just about any car if you go slow and pick good lines. The only cars where it'd be really inadvisable would be a low riding performance street car that's just going to get trashed. You don't need a particularly high clearance vehicle though if you're careful (you might rub the button if you're not careful, though).

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 6:00 pm 
Thanks a bunch!! I appreciate it! Cheers

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 7:47 am 
christensent wrote:
From what I hear, it is in the normal condition of being very rocky and rough, but it is always doable in just about any car if you go slow and pick good lines.
Yeah, it's a seriously rough road. Last trip up, I thought my muffler was banging against the floor pan, or some of the shock absorbers were coming apart, or something... eek.gif Turns out that there was some link up front that had worn ends and it was what was banging against the frame. Now $300+ later, all's well with the old beater Jeep. And away we go again! However, I would be hesitant to take a low clearance vehicle up there on the chance that you may have to duck a fast moving opposing direction vehicle, or negotiate a deep washout that crosses the road. Mid week, probably less likely to be a concern about sharing the road.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostSun Jul 07, 2019 8:21 am 
I was there last year ( in June) and the road beat my Subie Baja up. I don't understand, with all the money they pull in from permits, why they can't grade that road at least once a year. Also. The walk in ,which use to be shaded, is now very open and hot due to the fires which burned all the trees.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jul 07, 2019 12:17 pm 
Yeah I've made it up there in a VW Jetta some years back, when the road still sucked. As noted above, it doesn't sound like it's tragically worse now. But I'm sure that w/o paying attention to how to "solve the puzzle" along the way, I'd have been able to scrape the car's underside.

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 1:18 pm 
If you've been to Pilchuck, Cascade pass, Hidden lake peak, Barclay lake, or Bedal there will be no surprises for you at Adams. Deep washboard with occasional washouts and ash. Potholes on the flats. Prepare to spend an hour on the fs road. The thing to really watch for is burnt and cut logs that stick into the road. Wouldn't want to be focused on a passing vehicle only to plow into a snag, which would be easy to do in the dark. Gravely washboard corners will slide out under you so keep it slow there. 8 inches should clear anything on that road. You just need to be patient and you'll be fine.