Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Avoiding fireworks noise?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 4:58 pm 
Live someplace where it isn't an issue. LOL Like me. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 8:36 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I'm hopeful that aerial light shows made up of coordinated drones will eventually replace fireworks...
Well, that IS indeed a neat display. However, I seriously enjoy all the noise, the chest thumping explosions (especially the "concussion" works), the visuals, the smoke and the whole affair... when I can watch from a distance. But, one or two nights per year is enough. The whole annual event serves to remind me of what it is we're remembering/celebrating, and is a elaborate representation of the events of the time. Men were killed and seriously injured so that we, generations later, could become and remain our own country. I do not forget that. But, having said that, I do understand the OPs position, and I hope he finds a suitable location or solution for the dog(s). Anyway, that's how I see it.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 9:24 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Consult with your veterinarian, there are medications to ease the anxiety that results from all the explosions.
Gabapentin seemed to help. It was Parsley's least horrible 4th of July.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 11:28 am 
^^. Gavapentins good for this. My mom puts her jack russel in a Thunder Coat and slips him a half tablet of Benadryl Here in unincorporated Snohomish county, the explosions reach the level of a popcorn machine at peak popping and go until the people get too drunk to light the fuses. This morning, the bird chirps are back... I wonder if expecting the rednecks to operate a drone display would be just asking for more trouble

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 8:50 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I'm hopeful that aerial light shows made up of coordinated drones will eventually replace fireworks - they can be every bit as spectacular as fireworks (if not more so), are relatively quiet, don't require expensive non-reusable materials, and don't cause any pollution.
I have to agree with Moonspots. A light show would totally miss the point. Hell, perfectly legal fireworks misses the point. It is, at its heart, a celebration of rebellion. With that said, it is unfortunate that some animals are so distressed by it. I wonder if there would be a way to design a portable panic room that could insulate against sound and be set up in a house (or even outside) that would give the animal a sense of shelter.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 11:26 pm 
Don't get me wrong, I love fireworks! Watching them, setting them off - they are tons of fun. It's just as the years go by I have grown increasingly sympathetic with the plight of animals - both domestic and wild. I don't actually feel as bad for domestic animals as I do wild animals, at least we can take steps to reduce the effect on our pets, but I hate to think about the affect it has on wildlife. Regarding the whole commemorative/symbolism aspect of shooting off fireworks on the 4th, that doesn't really click for me. Fireworks are certainly part of the tradition, but in a purely recreational sense - similar to the relationship between presents, decorated trees, etc. on Christmas and the actual reason for the holiday itself. I'd be happy if firework use was restricted to just New Years an the 4th itself, and not allowed immediately before and after the 4th.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 12:18 am 
Remember the children, Greatest kid Holliday’s are1. Christmas, you get stuff, 2. 4th of July , you get to blow stuff up ( what could be better than that), and 3. Halloween free candy! All the rest you had to be nice to stupid relatives., or play a part in ridiculous plays. And that’s the way it is.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 8:07 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
It's just as the years go by I have grown increasingly sympathetic with the plight of animals - both domestic and wild. I don't actually feel as bad for domestic animals as I do wild animals, at least we can take steps to reduce the effect on our pets, but I hate to think about the affect it has on wildlife.
Unfortunately a lot of people don't (take all kinds of steps to improve their pets' lives).

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 pm 
A friend of mind from Japan finds the limitations on fireworks to just around the 4th and some cities banning them entirely to be astonishing. Fireworks are widely available in Japan and very popular in summertime. But then in Japan they have vending machines that sell beer and cigarettes and teenagers don't buy from them because: "that would be against the rules". So maybe people do less stupid stuff with fireworks in Japan.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 11:17 pm 
Well, Roy, I'm just curious how you and your pooch made out, and where you ended up. Hope you'll check in and tell us.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 4:56 pm 
(* I know this is preachin' to the choir here, so rather than start a new thread we'll just pick up where this one left off, in the event any of you out there need reminding. * Wednesday June 29, 2022 16:33 PDT USFS-NPS joint news release: Forest and Park Officials remind visitors to leave fireworks at home and be careful with campfires while celebrating this holiday weekend Forest and Park Officials remind visitors to leave fireworks at home and be careful with campfires while celebrating this holiday weekend PORT ANGELES, WA: As the Fourth of July holiday approaches, Forest Service and Park Service officials are reminding the public that all fireworks – sparklers included – are prohibited on all federal public lands, including the Olympic National Forest and Olympic National Park. With increasingly dry conditions and higher temperatures, visitors are also reminded to be careful with campfires. “Fireworks pose a serious fire threat,” said Micah Johnson, Acting Fire Management Officer for Olympic Interagency Fire Management. “People often assume fireworks are only risky in forested areas, but other areas across the peninsula like campgrounds and sparsely vegetated areas you can find along the coast are susceptible too." No other fire restrictions are currently in place on the Olympic National Forest or Olympic National Park, but visitors are asked to be mindful of Washington’s increasingly dry conditions when visiting public lands this summer. By following these safety tips, visitors can help prevent avoidable wildfires: 1. Let the night sky be your show Fireworks are illegal on public lands managed by the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and National Park Service. Violators are subject to a maximum penalty of a $5,000 fine and/or up to six months in jail (36 CFR 261.52) and may additionally be held liable for suppression costs. Check local jurisdictions if visiting State, County, or City parks. 2. Keep campfires small A campfire is less likely to escape control if it is kept small. A large fire may cast hot embers long distances. Add firewood in small amounts as existing material is consumed. 3. Select the right spot for your campfire Where campfires are allowed, choose a site with an existing ring. Fire pits in established campgrounds are the best spots. On the coast, fires may not be kindled closer than 10 feet to the nearest beach logs and may not exceed 3 feet in diameter. If you are dispersed camping in Olympic National Forest and choose to build a campfire, avoid building it near your tent, structures, vehicles, shrubs or trees, and be aware of low-hanging branches overhead. Clear the site down to bare soil, at least five feet on all sides, and circle it with rocks. Store unused firewood a good distance from the fire. Please follow Leave No Trace principles to minimize campfire impacts. 4. Extinguish all campfires before leaving – even if gone for a short period of time Bring a shovel and a bucket of water to extinguish any escaped embers. When you are ready to leave, drown all embers with water, stir the coals, and drown again. Repeat until the fire is DEAD out. If it is too hot to touch, it is too hot to leave. 5. Attend your campfire at all times A campfire left unattended for even a few minutes can grow into a costly, damaging wildfire. Stay with your campfire from start to finish until it is dead out, as required by law. That ensures any escaped sparks or embers can be extinguished quickly. Call 911 to report the illegal use of fireworks or unsafe fire use. Additional campfire and wildfire safety information can be found at www.smokeybear.com. Visit the websites for Olympic National Forest and Olympic National Park to learn of current personal use restrictions for fire and follow us on social media at: Olympic National Forest www.fs.usda.gov/olympic @olympicforest Olympic National Park www.nps.gov/olym @olympicNP

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 5:56 pm 
The King County Council made fireworks illegal in all unincorporated areas, but 2022 is supposed to be the "warning" year, fines come next year. rolleyes.gif https://mynorthwest.com/3519317/fireworks-ban-in-king-county-weeks-before-4th-of-july-celebrations/

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 pm 
Fireworks have been banned in Bellevue for many years -- but that doesn't stop people from driving to the nearest first nations land a buying up a bunch of stuff. When I was a young and stupid teenager -- fireworks were legal in Bellevue, but not firecrackers. Did that stop us, no! -- We figured out that if you pinch a "Piccolo Pete" with a pair of vice grips -- it will blow up like a big fire cracker. We thought that was great fun -- until one time when one blew up the plastic base shattered and flew as schrapnel -- right into the eye of one of our gang of idiots. The kid spent four days in the hospital with both eyes covered and under sedation to prevent further damage from eye movements. His vision recovered -- but fireworks were less fun after that. https://bellevuewa.gov/sites/default/files/media/pdf_document/F-63_Fireworks.pdf

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 6:33 pm 
Last year, people here were very good and it was quiet. We were all scared because things were so dry--remember the heat? I expect the 4th to be very noisy this year. The Demon Dog will pace a bit and stick close to me. That's the extent of it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
wanderwild

wanderwild
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:43 am 
Gotta get out

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."