Forum Index > Trip Reports > Monument Creek (Methow) brushing and tread work June 25, 2019.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KarlK

KarlK
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 11:44 am 
The Monument Creek trail begins at the Harts Pass road some eight miles NW of Mazama and once constituted part of a terrific loop hike through some spectacular Pasayten remoteness. Restoring the loop is a long term goal of Mountain Mike. On June 25th, Mountain Mike, Mike Liu, Lizz, Terry Pisel, Don Hecker and I did a substantial amount of brushing and tread rehabilitation on the popular initial stretch of the trail. Future plans include placing a footbridge over Eureka Creek about 4 miles from the trailhead (hopefully later this year), followed by a (Monumental) amount of saw work, brushing and tread work to reopen the long abandoned trail segment to Pistol Pass some 12 miles from the trailhead. Meanwhile, some progress has been made.

Karl J Kaiyala
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 1:12 pm 
As someone who may take advantage of this trail in the near future, I owe you a beer or 3 or 50...

KarlK

KarlK
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 1:45 pm 
cheers.gif

Karl J Kaiyala
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 2:52 pm 
Great effort folks. Thanks for your work. I hiked trail #484 as far as the Eureka crossing this past April 25.....reminiscing about a 2-week trip in 1973 that used the long-gone bridge on day one. High water made any further progress laughable for a solo hiker during spring runoff 2019. From the talus slopes 1/4 mile S of the (former) bridge site, I could look up and see sections of ye olde switchbacks on Eureka Ridge. Very nostalgic. And not carrying a 65-lb pack: delightful Looking for recruits?
73Pistol
73Pistol

RichP

RichP
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 5:03 pm 
That's great news about the trail getting some attention and a new bridge. The upper part near Pistol Pass is beautifully engineered.
Tread still intact after all these years
Tread still intact after all these years

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 8:58 pm 
KarlK wrote:
(Monumental) amount of saw work, brushing and tread work to reopen the long abandoned trail segment to Pistol Pass some 12 miles from the trailhead.
That would indeed be monumental. It was a mess 24 years ago and I hear it is worse now. Edit: " trail was a mess". I was referring to the section from Pistol Pass to Eureka Creek. When I did a 14 hour run on 8/1/95 from Robinson Creek over Shellrock Pass and into Monument Creek, Pistol Pass. and finally down to Eureka Creek and to the road and starting trailhead, I was surprised to see at the Lost River trailhead a sign that said 'Trail Abandoned'. Duh. Check conditions beforehand . doh.gif That explained hundreds of logs down on a recent (then) burned section. That loop would surely take me 2-3 days now!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
tobster

tobster
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 3:05 pm 
Was that trail work done before or after the Eureka Creek crossing? I'm curious if the creek can be (easily) forded at the moment. I'm not familiar enough with the trail to tell which side of the creek those pictures were taken.

KarlK

KarlK
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 pm 
Tobster -- that work was done on the section before the Eureka Creek crossing. We didn't scout that on our work trip. I don't know if it's currently fordable.

Karl J Kaiyala
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 8:22 pm 
I can tell you that in late April, Eureka Creek was most certainly non-fordable. Chest+ deep, fast and cold. Rocky and steep banks. With a lot of the Eureka watershed snow having melted......it might be doable now.

Mosquito Food
This is how we do it

Mosquito Food
This is how we do it
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 5:16 pm 
up.gif

Fueled by cornbread
KarlK

KarlK
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 5:23 pm 
Wow -- I'm getting the sense that there's a lot of support for restoring the Monument Creek trail. This is super cool and might help in the effort to enlist additional support -- and believe me, it's going to require a lot of motivated oddballs of the trail restoration kind.

Karl J Kaiyala
Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 6:28 pm 
Thank you for the efforts!!! As a new Comer to the area (Washington), the Pasayten and it's history captivate me. I've found a few resources to delve into, but it's certainly not enough. With such a rich history and such incredible lands, I'm ecstatic and appreciative to see work being done to return (easier) access to some of Washington's most remote areas.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 7:23 pm 
Any thoughts of continuing this project up to Pistol Pass and beyond in the future? I'd be willing to lend a hand. smile.gif Post coronavirus of course.

KarlK

KarlK
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 8:53 pm 
RichP, Oh yeah, something to look forward to in these strange times. smile.gif

Karl J Kaiyala
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Apr 10, 2020 6:01 am 
lopper wrote:
73Pistol
73Pistol
East ridge in distance from Pistol Pass
East ridge in distance from Pistol Pass

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.