Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Most comfortable life jacket?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 10:27 am 
Hi all I'm looking to replace my old school life jacket now that I'm doing more kayaking and dingy sailing. The current one is blocky, huge and uncomfortable to sit or paddle with for any long period of time. I see a lot of styles on Amazon, what do you folks prefer? I want one which doesn't ride up and try to choke me like the current one does, and has decent arm range of motion for paddling. thanks!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 11:54 am 
This style is great for paddling comfort Guide Gear Kayak Type III, PFD Life Vest, L/XL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBP2R17/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R-4iDbXAK9TAM I have one like that for moderate paddling , however I also have one with twice that amount of flotation and a rescue ring for "big water".

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 12:38 pm 
Astral designs, NRS, MTI, and others, all make inflatable belt style PFDs. These are designed for SUP paddlers who want minimal anything (including swimsuits) covering their body. You can't show off doing stand up paddleboard goat yoga with a big ol' PFD covering your goods. Check out this one too, the MTI Adventurewear Helios 2.0 Inflatable PFD. Very minimal encumberment.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 2:13 pm 
Schenk wrote:
These are designed for SUP paddlers who want minimal anything (including swimsuits) covering their body.
Almost all SUP paddlers I've observed and certainly all the ones at Greenlake doing yoga on their boards aren't wearing any sort of PFD. Not all SUP paddlers, nor even all SUP yoga practitioners I've observed have single digit body fat percentages. In fact many are "floaters" -- even with all the air expelled from their lungs.

kite

kite
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 5:33 pm 
I have been using the Mustang Survival Khimera and just love it. you can swim pretty good with it on and it floats well. Not sure about using it the dingy with tarp harness on?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 pm 
Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm off to peruse those suggested.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 am 
West Marine carries a bunch of them in stock. I tried several of them out with adjustments to see which one I liked best. It's one of those things you just need to try on. We have several kayaks, and have a convenient spot three blocks away to access the Puget Sound.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 9:21 am 
I use an older version of this https://www.nrs.com/product/40007.03/nrs-clearwater-mesh-back-pfd It has a mesh lower back so it doesn't interfere with the seat back on my kayak and it has pockets to keep a cell phone.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 12:33 pm 
I'm a sea kayaking trip leader with the Mountaineers club, but it's been a while since I bought a pfd for my sea kayaks, so I can't say I know the latest and greatest. But be aware there are a lot of choices and lots of tradeoffs in your choice. For example: paddling comfort vs floatation; pockets for convenience or minimal pockets because they can get bulky and can interfere with rolling or self-rescue; long profile and less puffy vs short profile and puffier. Some like padding in the back for comfort against your seat back, others want the bare minimum. Some like enough floatation (together with an accommodating design) to keep your head up even if unconscious (I'm one of these), some want the bare minimum. Most everyone wants freedom of arm movements. If you want to visit a store, I suggest one that specializes in sea kayaking (as opposed to general boating). You may want to present your question to a sea kayaking forum, such as http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 am 
That's a nice concise list of some major concerns. I didn't buy anything yet, and I think you've convinced my I should go the paddling/wind sports shop in Hood River