Forum Index > Trip Reports > WA Backpacking recommendations for a visiting Vermonter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlexM
AlexVermont

AlexM
AlexVermont
PostSun Jul 07, 2019 5:37 pm 
My wife, daughter and I are planning to backpack for 4-6 days in late July this year and hope to see some spectacular scenery. My wife's knees are acting up so something with easier footing would be helpful. Our original plan was to take 7 days to go from Stevens to Snoqualmie pass, but we are concerned that this would be too strenuous and lacks bailout options. But now we are a bit desperate to find something easier but still scenic. Any advice would be much appreciated!

-Alex
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
allie

allie
PostSun Jul 07, 2019 8:12 pm 
Try browsing through the Washington Trails Association website wta.com. Tons of info there. Look at some loops in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness; there are many options shorter than the PCT section.

Mosquito Food
This is how we do it

Mosquito Food
This is how we do it
PostSun Jul 07, 2019 8:25 pm 
Good advice from Allie. The site is wta.org. (non profit), great hiking resource. Rainier has some terrific loops and out and backs. I did the Northern Loop trail a couple of years ago which is pretty epic but only 35 miles (see video link). If you're able to carry a bear can, Rainier will issue you XC camping permits on the spot for three or four nights. It's got a mix of rain forest and alpine for some XC exploration. Best, Aaron Link to Northern Loop Trail Video

Fueled by cornbread
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Jul 07, 2019 8:41 pm 
I desire medium danger williswall.com
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 3:19 pm 
If the knees are a real concern, why not do more of the backcountry basecamp kind of trip? For instance go to the beautiful Goat Rocks, start at the Snowgrass Flat trailhead, camp in the Lily Basin area. That puts you on a thirteen mile loop, but there are lots of sidetrips you can do as well. https://nwtripfinder.com/hiking-in-the-goat-rocks-snowgrass-flats-goat-lake-loop/ Don't, however, do this on a weekend. Another really fun and unique one, and one that would be okay to do on the weekend, is the Lyman Lakes area. Take the boat up Lake Chelan to Holden Village. You need to arrange with Holden for a school bus ride. You could be happy for a few days in that area. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/lyman-lakes I think backpacking it Rainier is a great idea in general, but I'm not sure you're going to be able to get the permits you need at this late date. it is something you could investigate though.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 6:37 pm 
AlexM wrote:
My wife's knees are acting up so something with easier footing would be helpful.
Alex! Have you already made arrangement for lodging? Hotel/motel? Are you going to get a rental car? Will you be able to drive to these destinations after you land at SeaTac? Knees? Are you sure you want to drag her up into the mountains? You may wish to consider some flat land: Bogachiel (easy peasy, but a long-ass drive from Seattle) Hoh (although it can be a bit crowded. also a long drive) Ozette (might be tough to get an overnight permit - limited campsite areas available) No shortage of opportunities here. And it's all spectacular - this is Washington. We got it all.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 7:25 pm 
The trails don't get much better than the PCT over that stretch. You could start from Snoqualmie and exit out Lemah or Cathedral Rock to shorten the trip and get the most scenic section. Otherwise, if that's too ambitious I would probably second Ski's suggestion.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 pm 
You can't go wrong with the North Cascades. Specifically highway 20 starting around Nehalem. Trappers Peak near the bottom and everything in between, all the way to Washington Pass where Cutthroat Pass & Blue Lake trailheads are. Couple of destinations before you reach Nehalem. Cascade Pass / Sahale Arm & Hidden Lake Lookout. You can do a bunch of 1 day excursions If I wanted to blow someone's mind, this is definitely where I would take a out of state friend or family member. I would get tremendous amounts of joy just watching and experiencing their euphoria. Hell!, the view from the car window is worth the drive. You should see the view from the Cascade Pass trailhead parking lot

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 11:38 pm 
Kalaloch Beach live webcam (scroll down) Hurricane Ridge live webcam (scroll down) Mount Rainier National Park live webcams

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 5:49 am 
Hey, just a shout out as I'm in VT right now. Good recommendations so far. Maybe a stretch of The PCT from Harts Pass area. A high start makes it easier on the knees. It's an in and out kind of thing rather than a loop though.

Dick B

Dick B
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 1:54 pm 
If you are not to locked into Washington, you might want to give Oregon a try. I would recommend the south to north, backpack thru the 3 Sisters Wilderness starting at the Devils Lake TH off the Cascade Lakes Highway. You start high so there is not too much up and down. Problem is it is a thru hike so there would be some vehicle shuffling. Once you start you are pretty much committed to go thru unless you have a car at both ends. Central Oregon Cascades have never been heavily glaciated like the mountains in Washington so the terrain is more forgiving.