Forum Index > Trail Talk > Windy Peak route
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 9:35 pm 
Going to attempt Windy Peak. Looks like there are two options. Windy Peak trail (7 miles one way), or Windy Creek trail (5 miles one way). Both leave from same general area (3 miles apart from each other). Is one better than the other? More used? Easier to follow? Not sure how severe the old fire damage is for each route.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 9:44 pm 
Which Windy Peak? The one near Iron Gate? If that one I hiked the 5? years ago and the burned areas already had green regrowing. An umbrella helped keep me cooler in lieu of forest cover.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 10:11 pm 
The Windy Peak way up in the Pasayten. I think the trail leaves from near Long Swamp campground.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 6:50 am 
Yeah. I haven't hiked those trails on the West side. I topped doing a lollipop from Iron Gate , going to Horseshoe basin 1st along the Boundary trail and then back. The burn was very noticeable along North side, less so on the South. You'll be on the West. I was above timberline in the area where the trails you mentioned approached the summit, so fire damage less unobservable. But the Tripod fire was in 2006, so you won't be walking through a charred moonscape, but by now regrowth of brush might be an issue. Have you tried calling the Methow Valley ranger station 509 996 4000 ?

markweth

markweth
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 am 
I hiked up Windy Creek from its junction with Cathedral Driveway Trail to the junction just below Windy Peak as part of a long (50+ miles?) loop last September. The Windy Creek Trail was distinct and in reasonably good condition, but it was entirely through an old burn and would be miserable on a hot day as it is very exposed. I'd recommend accessing Windy Peak via Iron Gate Trailhead instead. Some great options for overnight or multinight trips via that access as well! The Iron Gate Road did not live up to its horrid reputation when I drove up there last September. I'm a rather anxious/nervous driver and did just fine in a Honda Element. If you went slow even a regular sedan could have made it.

yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 9:04 am 
I did Windy Peak and Topaz back in June 2013 via the Windy Creek side. Burn wasn't too bad to go thru. Nice views from Windy, then we went over to Topaz and then cross country up and over a ridge to intercept the Windy Creek trail again. Some pics here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/8246712@N03/albums/72157634234113231/with/9101432203/

iron

iron
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 9:32 am 
we came down windy creek in 2013. piece of cake

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 pm 
Windy Peak via Windy Peak trail My thoughts on the Peak vs Creek route were that we could park at the camp walk across the road and have at it and not lose / gain elevation both ways going in and out.

Living in the Anthropocene
jstern

jstern
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm 
We hiked in via the Iron Gate side and camped at Sunny pass last July and did Windy Peak as a there and back. Trail was well defined through the burn area and in July, the wildflowers were awesome. As Markwerth indicated, it was hot and humid in the low areas as it started off as a nice sunny day. Once we reached around 7500, the breeze picked up and was almost cold. We didn’t go past the junction to the peak, but the trail looked good and well defined beyond the junction. We didn’t have any visibility to it as it dropped over the ridge, but prior to that, it looked good.
Charred sign
Charred sign
Windy Peak through the trees
Windy Peak through the trees

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen